Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10th February 2016, 19:49   #1  |  Link
magiblot
Eurobeat Fan

Can I improve this source more?

Hi there. I'm trying to remaster an old Super Mario Bros. anime movie, and the best source avaiable looks like this:

(Watch it online HERE (without the Chinese subtitles). I'm not sure if I would break the forum rules by sharing the source file with you.)

I'm not very experienced with Avisynth, so I asked for help in Fòrum Animelliure and I was advised to use ASharp and AWarpSharp2, and this is the best we thought we were able to get:

Code:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\Plugins\awarpsharp.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\Plugins\asharp.dll")
FFVideoSource("C:\Users\magiblot\Desktop\mario.wmv", fpsnum=25, fpsden=1)
Tweak(hue=0.0,sat=2,bright=4,cont=1.7)
Levels(0,0.7,255,0,255)
ASharp(1.5)
AWarpSharp(37.0)
Yesterday (more than a year later) I got an idea: I could improve it by downscalng the source first and filtering it, then upscaling it and filtering it again. After a couple of tries, I got this:

Code:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\Plugins\awarpsharp.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\Plugins\asharp.dll")
FFVideoSource("C:\Users\magiblot\Desktop\mario.wmv", fpsnum=25, fpsden=1)
Tweak(hue=0.0,sat=2.1,bright=4,cont=1.7)
Levels(0,0.7,255,0,255)
Spline64Resize(384,288)
ASharp(1)
AWarpSharp()
Spline64Resize(960,720)
ASharp(1)
AWarpSharp()
Spline64Resize(768,576)
Which is much better than the first restored version and still more than the source.

As you can see, the main defect of the source is that it seems badly filtered and borders look quite unfocused, in addition to the deficient color, brightness, contrast and gamma levels.

By aplying the filters after downscaling I've been able to improve the borders a lot. Now I'm going to explain you how I chose the resolutions. 384x288 is half the original resolution, and it has given the best results to me. 960x720 is a 720p resolution to make it HD when uploading to YouTube and make it keep more bitrate. And 768x576 is the original resolution, in order to compare it to the previous scripts I used (thought it looks better at this resolution than at 720p).

If tried other combinations before (like resizing secondly to 576p and filtering, and then resize to 720p and filter again) but this is the best I've been able to get.

I'm planning to release this last restored version soon, so I would like to ask the experts (you) for advice before doing it.

Do you think it can be improved more? How would you do it?

Thanks for the help. And excuse me if my English is not correct.

Last edited by magiblot; 10th February 2016 at 19:59. Reason: Fixed images
magiblot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anime, awarpsharp