Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 4th June 2011, 12:12   #1  |  Link
aether

Shrinking dvd?

Hi again, I'm having some trouble shrinking a DVD, no matter what I do the movie just won't go lower than 6gb. Can anyone help?
aether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 13:13   #2  |  Link
mike20021969

What is the DVD and what program are you currently trying to "shrink" it with?
mike20021969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 14:37   #3  |  Link
aether

It's Terminator Salvation and I tried using DVDshrink, I haven't watched it in a while and I'm trying to free up some space on my hard drive. I tried re-authoring the DVD so that it is only the main movie but even then DVDshrink would not shrink it (sorry I don't know what the proper term is for "shrinking" a DVD).
Old 4th June 2011, 15:31   #4  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

Since you presumably own this movie on DVD and your only issue is hard drive space, why don't you just delete it from your hard drive?
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 15:43   #5  |  Link
aether

I like to keep backup copies of everything, for reasons I have explained in a previous thread besides the DVD doesn't play that well anymore it has a few scratches.
Old 5th June 2011, 00:15   #6  |  Link
mike20021969

What did you use to decrypt the disc initially?
What program did you use to rip the DVD to your HDD?

I have Terminator Salvation. As it contains structural protection (according to AnyDVD), I'd have to rip it to the HDD first to see if DVD Shrink could "shrink" it (as DVD Shrink cant handle discs with structural protection unless it's ripped to HDD first). But CloneDVD2 will happily transcode it to DVD5 capacity with AnyDVD running.

Last edited by mike20021969; 5th June 2011 at 10:31.
mike20021969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 06:53   #7  |  Link
aether

I used DVDdecrypter to rip it, DVDshrink can open the DVD without any problems but I think it's because there are 4 main movie titles on the DVD. I tried re-authoring the DVD and took out only one title, then used IFOedit to make new video_ts and ifo files but it still didn't work, then I tried PGCedit with the DVDshrink plugin and re-authored again and it still won't work. I wanted to try anyDVD but with the exchange rate the way it is it will cost me a fortune.
Old 5th June 2011, 20:23   #8  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by aender
I used DVDdecrypter to rip it
DVD Decrypter hasn't been updated in years, and there are copy protection schemes it can't handle. You'll save yourself a lot of work if you re-rip the disk with DVDFab HD Decrypter.
Old 6th June 2011, 15:42   #9  |  Link
aether

The copy protection was removed, there is no problem with the file itself it's just that I can't shrink it.
Old 6th June 2011, 15:55   #10  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by aether View Post
The copy protection was removed, there is no problem with the file itself it's just that I can't shrink it.
Why don't you use DVD Rebuilder (there is a free version) with the (also free) HC MPEG-2 encoder?
The quality would also be better than DVD Shrink.
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 19:42   #11  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by aender
The copy protection was removed
Are you absolutely certain? Try re-ripping it again with DVDFab HD Decrypter.
Old 7th June 2011, 01:38   #12  |  Link
setarip_old

@aether

If you are determined to use DVDShrink:

1) First delete the applicable "Analysis Results" from your "Program Data" folder (the one that's applicable to this problematic DVD)

2) Open DVD Shrink and load the DVD

3) Click on the "Analysis" (Deep Analysis) radio button

4) After the analysis is finished, click on the "Backup!" radio button

5) If still too large, load "shrunken" backup copy into DVD Shrink and select "Backup!"

Last edited by setarip_old; 8th June 2011 at 06:50. Reason: Originally omitted a "("
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 06:45   #13  |  Link
Chetwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
1) First delete the applicable "Analysis Results" from your "Program Data" folder the one that's applicable to this problematic DVD)
What for?

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Chetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 07:17   #14  |  Link
setarip_old

@Chetwood

Hi!
Quote:
What for?
If you don't do this, DVDShrink will not perform a new scan of the DVD - and will use the same settings that were made and used the first time - and resulted in a problematic copy...
Old 7th June 2011, 22:16   #15  |  Link
aether

where can i find the free version of DVD re-builder? The one I tried didn't do anything, it just kept saying that it's loading but never loaded anything.
Old 7th June 2011, 22:19   #16  |  Link
aether

Now that I think about it am I the only one that experience problems with DVDfab and DVDfab HD decrypter. when I use these programs the resulting backup plays the chapters in an incorrect order or freezes. Does anyone else have this problem, or could it indicate that there is a problem on my PC?
Old 8th June 2011, 06:10   #17  |  Link
Chetwood

@setarip_old

You're sure about that? Deep Analysis shows the bitrate distribution for Shrink's transcoder which should be pretty much the same despite the copy protection used.

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Chetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 06:52   #18  |  Link
setarip_old

@Chetwood

I'd suggest you try it yourself ;>}

Find a DVD that when FIRST compressed by DVD Shrink yields a copy that is greater than DVD5 (4.37Gb) in total size - then do as I suggested...
Old 9th June 2011, 23:15   #19  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by aether View Post
I used DVDdecrypter to rip it, DVDshrink can open the DVD without any problems but I think it's because there are 4 main movie titles on the DVD. I tried re-authoring the DVD and took out only one title, then used IFOedit to make new video_ts and ifo files but it still didn't work.
Why did you need to use IFOedit? DVDShrink should create new Video_ts and ifo files when you save the re-authored version. I assume you were using DVDShrink to re-author the move?

There's a limit to how much DVDShrink will shrink a disc, but it'd be fairly unusual for it not to be able to compress a single movie down to blank DVD size.

Are you sure DVDShrink's options haven't been changed from DVD-5 size to something larger (DVD-9) so it's not actually trying to shrink the disc any further? DVD Shrink should tell you how much it's compressing the movie. What does it say?

Are you 100% sure the backup copy DVDShrink saves is okay? Is the movie duration exactly the same as the duration of the original movie?
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 03:33   #20  |  Link
aether

I used IFOedit because PGCedit once gave me a message saying that DVDs that have been re-authored by DVDshrink have errors (this was with another DVD), so I tried making new video_ts and ifo files because I thought that maybe it could work that way. The total size of the file is just over 6GB but when it is opened with DVDshrink it says the total size is over 10GB which is the reason I re-authored and took out the main movie only, as mentioned before DVDshrink reads 4 main movie titles on the DVD. As for the compression ratio, it won't go below 99.1 percent and yes the compression setting were on automatic.