Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th April 2011, 07:14   #1  |  Link
maunillo

MPC-HM: no more drag and drop or files of subs

Hi all.

The title says it all: all of a sudden, I cannot drop files and subtitles within the MPC window.

I started using VirtuaWin (an opensources multidesktop utility) and I thought that could be the culprit, but I have disabled it already and the behaviour remains.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanx in advance.
maunillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 12:00   #2  |  Link
sneaker_ger

No problem here.
Drag & Drop is usually disabled if the two programs your are dragging between are running on different privileges. E.g. if the explorer runs with user rights and MPC-HC with admin rights, you cannot use drag&drop.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 20:53   #3  |  Link
johnniedoo

It is april 2017 and I 'just' lost the ability to drag and drop videos (avi, mpeg, mp4 etc) into the open MPC-BE window. I am the administrator, or my account is the only one, I use the computer alone. It is windows 10x64 professional. I have to open up MPC to change-and hold- options. I have been using mpc-hc and mpc-be both and in 32 and 64bit versions. I use nightly or beta but keep one standalone as the most recent stable release. never had this issue. not till windows 10 but, i dont want to blame everything that goes wrong on windows 10 though most things seem to be . I wonder if i need to keep switching between admin, priv in the application because it seems windows 10 doesnt recognize me as the administrator in certain applications even if i check to run as adm.
that's it.
Old 28th April 2017, 22:54   #4  |  Link
dipje

But Windows10 (and 8 and 8.1 as far as I know) do have these 'drag and drop' issues. Specially a fresh Windows10 install can be very restrictive on Drag n Drop permissions. Basically no two processes allowed to talk to each other so no DnD.

You'll see fixes that say to disable your UAC. This worked for me when I first installed Win10, but disabling UAC is never a long term solution in my book.
I've read other reports of people disabling Smart Screen in Windows (quick test is to kill the smartscreen process in the Task Manager). I have no Drag n drop issues at the moment, I'm _not_ yet on the Creators Update, my UAC slider in the configuration panel is on the 2nd setting from above, but I _do_ always disable Smart Screen filtering (one of the 'mods' that O&O Shutup10 gives you).

And like sneaker_ger said, one of the apps must not be run as administrator. If you're dragging from the windows explorer (explorer.exe), that is for sure not running as admin.
So make sure you are _not_ running MPC-HC/BE (wtf is -HM? :P) with admin rights. Either you're right clicking the program and picking 'run as administrator' (don't), or you have the shortcut configured to always run as administrator (don't).

Other tips I can't give, but I'm pretty sure it's not a problem in the MPC-xx programs.. at least my latest MPC-HC is working fine under Win10x64 to drag-n-drop from Windows Explorer, and like I said I have UAC still on..
dipje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 03:25   #5  |  Link
johnniedoo

No DnD Win10x64.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipje View Post
But Windows10 (and 8 and 8.1 as far as I know) do have these 'drag and drop' issues. Specially a fresh Windows10 install can be very restrictive on Drag n Drop permissions. Basically no two processes allowed to talk to each other so no DnD.

You'll see fixes that say to disable your UAC. This worked for me when I first installed Win10, but disabling UAC is never a long term solution in my book.
I've read other reports of people disabling Smart Screen in Windows (quick test is to kill the smartscreen process in the Task Manager). I have no Drag n drop issues at the moment, I'm _not_ yet on the Creators Update, my UAC slider in the configuration panel is on the 2nd setting from above, but I _do_ always disable Smart Screen filtering (one of the 'mods' that O&O Shutup10 gives you).

And like sneaker_ger said, one of the apps must not be run as administrator. If you're dragging from the windows explorer (explorer.exe), that is for sure not running as admin.
So make sure you are _not_ running MPC-HC/BE (wtf is -HM? :P) with admin rights. Either you're right clicking the program and picking 'run as administrator' (don't), or you have the shortcut configured to always run as administrator (don't).

Other tips I can't give, but I'm pretty sure it's not a problem in the MPC-xx programs.. at least my latest MPC-HC is working fine under Win10x64 to drag-n-drop from Windows Explorer, and like I said I have UAC still on..
Thanks, I thought it would not be in MPC. I just got the Creator's 'upgrade' a host of other nuisance things have been happening. I never had the UAC on or it was set to absolute minimum. I shall try the other tips I had to put the administrator on to save changes in the mpc. I am an unhappy win10 user, it is fairly good, just not suited to me. and it keeps getting trickier. Creator's axed a couple of more things I liked but considered to be incomplete as far as viability. I will keep on trying to make that drag and drop to the open player work again and use the suggestions,so
Thanks
John
Old 29th April 2017, 12:38   #6  |  Link
clsid

Disabling UAC can cause weird things. Best is to just set it to its lowest setting.

Do NOT run MPC-HC as administrator. You are most likely able to fix the problem with these two steps:
1) Check if there is an mpc-hc64.ini file in the same folder. Delete it!
2) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe) and delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MPC-HC
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drag-and-drop, mpc-hc gui