Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > Forum / Site Suggestions & Help

Old 14th March 2022, 12:37   #1  |  Link
shae

Add a "thanks" button to posts?

Encourages giving posters feedback, without taking up message space.
shae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2022, 15:47   #2  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Yes, vBulletin MAY be configured to function more like a "social network", but I still believe it's not a good idea for a technical forum like this. :-/

Quote:
...without taking up message space

Anyway: if until today the owner of this site hasn't cared about the problem of the ridiculous maximum file size for attachments and also about the "Attachments pending approval" problem,
I serious doubt he will start caring about a minor nuisance like the lack of a thanks button. :-|
filler56789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2022, 17:50   #3  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

For sure. Another issue is that people can delete entire threads. Fact of the matter is that the forum code is cast in concrete. It will never be modified. Case in point: "THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion."

http://www.thecoldcan.com/threads/vb...letin.1855705/
https://www.avforums.com/threads/vbu...-dead.1793735/

"In my opinion, vBulletin is already a dead product. I would not recommend anyone choose vBulletin to run their community, and those currently using it should look now at migrating to an alternative forum platform."

Last edited by videoh; 16th March 2022 at 01:35.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2022, 00:39   #4  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Vbulletin might not have been great, but it worked fine for Doom9. The forum has been exactly the same for 20 years and call me crazy but I like it. Most of the websites I visit nowadays are full of heavy stuff to load for the network, lots of graphical things too and of course the occasional cookies nag, the notifications nag etc. It's just a nightmare, but not Doom9. This forum is by far the most lightweight thing to load of my whole bookmarks bar and I love it.
Although years ago grey-ish things were associated with IT as computer themselves were grey, nowadays it's no longer the case but the grey-based colour of Doom9 gives it a rather serious and professional look.
All in all, call me crazy, but I got so used to it that I wouldn't change a thing (the only thing that concerns me would be the security of it but I've learned to live with it).
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2022, 01:18   #5  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

I hope you have higher standards in your work.
Old 15th March 2022, 02:33   #6  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān QiÓn

This is an exceptionally good forum, where even JavaScript is not required. It's like Nitter (where you can read "Twitter" without JavaScript), which is in fact much more challenging to realize (using JavaScript heavily is actually easier). I do understand that common users love fancy features, hating plain-looking, old, "boring" interface. I do understand that. Privacy advocates think otherwise. That being said, the forum is no longer the same as it was before - I think email notification is no longer working...
Liisachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2022, 21:58   #7  |  Link
shae

I'm not looking for an annoying new forum style, I prefer styles similar to the current state. And I'm also not after heavy use of JavaScript, or making JavaScript required.

But here's a case in point:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...58#post1965658
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...68#post1965768

I was wondering if to thank Mosu for the new version he posted. But someone already said "thanks", and my post two messages prior was "thanks" to someone else. So it was becoming too much.

I suspect Mosu and others, aftering working to improve software and post about it here, would appreciate some response rather than being greeted with silence or apparent ignoring. A forum-based thanks feature solves the tension between serving that, and riddling threads with messages that don't contribute practical information.

@filler56789
Maybe a problem with big attachments is that they increase server load.

@videoh
As long as vBulletin works it's not dead. Or do you mean security?

There is ongoing development on v5, even if it may be irrelevant here. Else, there are other open-source alternatives.
Old 16th March 2022, 01:22   #8  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shae View Post
@videoh
As long as vBulletin works it's not dead.
Buggy whips and crystal radios still work too, but people have moved on to better things.

I'd prefer not to get into a big debate as the mods are getting antsy. Please read the links I posted.

Last edited by videoh; 16th March 2022 at 01:36.
Old 22nd March 2022, 05:25   #9  |  Link
netmask

I think thanks and likes would be a great addition - gives valuable data and is more likely to be activated than having to hit reply and typing one or two words
BeyonWiz PVR T3 & V2 (Enigma2 clone)
Chromecast
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 7 Ultimate
QNAP NAS TS851
netmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2022, 15:44   #10  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

The Blu-ray.com Forum run vBulletin and they offer a 'thanks' button
Old 22nd March 2022, 18:26   #11  |  Link
shae

Quote:
Originally Posted by netmask View Post
and is more likely to be activated than having to hit reply and typing one or two words
Or worse, instead of "reply" hitting "quote" on a 4-screen-high message. Without any editing on the quote, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
The Blu-ray.com Forum run vBulletin and they offer a 'thanks' button
Plugins that do it surely exist for vB3. It's more of a question of deciding it's useful, and having someone to install it.

And damn, blu-ray.com is one active forum. 6900 currently active users, of which 1500 are registered.
Old 23rd March 2022, 00:22   #12  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Being against too much social marketing (such as infantile "likes/dislikes")
I welcome the idea of a "thank you Button" to honor our creative members who spent countless hours to develop software,
code, compile, bugfix, help others and finally make ends meet.

Some electronic forums have that too, there it becomes quite visible who is an authority, so newcomers will first hear, then talk.

All this may help to earn them well-deserved respect, important within a board that contains so much good information
It will stand easier through the occasional flaming or leeching that comes up too easy because of absence of a writer's personal appearance.

BTW, I like doom9 forum's straight design & quick response (good old vBulletin 3.8.11)
and consider it my ease-of-use standard. +1 for keeping it so.
well, tolerating search result structure and some other smallies...

Last edited by Emulgator; 23rd March 2022 at 00:33.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote