Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Closed Thread

Old 10th October 2009, 19:00   #10041  |  Link
clsid

That behavior is most likely related to the fact the MPC uses its own filter graph manager. So that might need some changes for negotiating media types. See FGManager.cpp.
Old 10th October 2009, 21:12   #10042  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdboy View Post
pardon my ignorance, but how do I use this? I registered the ax, and added it to external filters. I do see MPC audio renderer in the filters menu when playing. however, I'm getting bad audio de-sync and seeking often causes mpc to hang. using svn 1296, win7 RTM 32bit
I think you should wait for new build compiled with new renderer. And choose that renderer in "output" menu but not in external filters. However it probably should work from external filters too, but you sure that you downloaded right filter and not buggy one? Also I don't see much point to do both - registering filter and putting it in external filters...
As for me, I'm not sure which one I should download so I will wait for new revision ^_^

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 10th October 2009 at 21:20.
Old 11th October 2009, 00:07   #10043  |  Link
Mangix
Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Eiri View Post
Really? Using XP now must feel exactly like using Windows 95 by the time XP was released. Even my sluggish netbook runs Windows 7 faster than it runs Windows XP. Move on, people.
actually on my computer, Windows XP feels very fast. 7 felt alright but slower. It also uses around 3 times more memory and on my 2GB and that's a bit unacceptable. My video games run faster, I get EAX/A3D without needing to use emulators that don't work, and other minor details.

my question was was originally if kernel streaming was going to be implemented in this renderer. but whatever.
Old 11th October 2009, 04:55   #10044  |  Link
Snowknight26

Any chance of removing the need for an exclusive file lock? I hate having to switch to Haali Media Splitter just so MPC-HC can even open a file that's being written to by another program.
Old 11th October 2009, 10:11   #10045  |  Link
hoborg

BTW, XP+WMR9 is only one combination alow you to play DVDs using DXVA (using PDVD9 decoder) with working navigation.

How to start with Bitcoin
Old 11th October 2009, 11:03   #10046  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangix View Post
actually on my computer, Windows XP feels very fast. 7 felt alright but slower. It also uses around 3 times more memory and on my 2GB and that's a bit unacceptable. My video games run faster, I get EAX/A3D without needing to use emulators that don't work, and other minor details.

my question was was originally if kernel streaming was going to be implemented in this renderer. but whatever.
Its not using more memory, its using less.

However the memory management system works completely different, and memory is reserved (but empty) for applications and services.
If any application needs more memory than is reserved and/or free, reserved memory will be given to the application until no more memory can be given (and at that point the swapfile gets used)

This is one of the main reasons why 7 feels so much faster on older low ram systems
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
Any chance of removing the need for an exclusive file lock? I hate having to switch to Haali Media Splitter just so MPC-HC can even open a file that's being written to by another program.
Dev's have not been able to work around this, can you provide as much information about this as possible (other GLP open source applications that can bypass te file lock would help)
Old 11th October 2009, 12:58   #10047  |  Link
yesgrey

One question: the code for the new audio renderer is included in the trunk? I want to take a look at it and need to know where it is.
Edit: I've updated the source from svn and it's in the Trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangix View Post
my question was was originally if kernel streaming was going to be implemented in this renderer.
I think a better option would be ASIO support. That would work with both XP, Vista and 7, and would be a really nice feature.
There are some general free ASIO drivers based on Kernel streaming for soundcards that don't have native ASIO support (ASIO4All).

I will take a look at the code, maybe I could add it, but probably it would be a lot easier and faster if one of the current developers agrees with the idea and adds it himself...

Last edited by yesgrey; 11th October 2009 at 13:41.
Old 11th October 2009, 13:22   #10048  |  Link
Shakey_Jake33

The SVN 1299 build on XvidVideo.RU claims to have the WASAPI renderer added - how do you select this? It does not seem to be under the Audio Renderers dropbox.
Old 11th October 2009, 16:09   #10049  |  Link
hdboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post
Its not using more memory, its using less.

However the memory management system works completely different, and memory is reserved (but empty) for applications and services.
If any application needs more memory than is reserved and/or free, reserved memory will be given to the application until no more memory can be given (and at that point the swapfile gets used)
that's the theory anyway. in reality, with the same work load, win7 hits the paging file much sooner than XP on my 3GB ram. If I turn off the swap file, win7 will throw up out of memory error and apps will crash much faster than XP. so the memory is not just being reserved or used for caching. it is actually being used.

sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, but I keep hearing about how win7 is faster or more memory efficient than XP, and I just don't see it. not to say that it doesn't have other advantages, but those aren't it. it may feel faster due to the app caching and preloading, but benchmarks show win7 is slightly slower on execution of office/game/etc apps. when people say win7 is faster, I think what they mean is "my spanking new install of win7 on my freshly built i7 smokes my 5yo install of XP with a zillion app and device driver installs/uninstalls". well guess what? new install of EVERY MS OS feels fast (excerpt maybe for Vitsta LOL).

so what I'm saying is: don't be so quick to dismiss XP. it's a perfectly good working OS. XP's win explorer is also better than win7. I mean, have you noticed that win7 doesn't even show free disk space on the status bar, despite it taking up 3x the space it used too? or if you choose more than 15 files, you have to click more details to see the total file size? or how about if you want to include/exclude subfolders in search, there's no handy checkbox any more? you actually have to go into search options menu and change it every time. I could go on, but I won't.

Last edited by hdboy; 11th October 2009 at 16:14.
Old 11th October 2009, 16:48   #10050  |  Link
yesgrey

If anyone wants to consider ASIO, here is the official ASIO SDK. You'll need to create an account to download it, but it's all free.
Old 11th October 2009, 17:13   #10051  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
The SVN 1299 build on XvidVideo.RU claims to have the WASAPI renderer added - how do you select this? It does not seem to be under the Audio Renderers dropbox.
cant find it either
Old 11th October 2009, 17:24   #10052  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
that's the theory anyway. in reality, with the same work load, win7 hits the paging file much sooner than XP on my 3GB ram. If I turn off the swap file, win7 will throw up out of memory error and apps will crash much faster than XP. so the memory is not just being reserved or used for caching. it is actually being used.

sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, but I keep hearing about how win7 is faster or more memory efficient than XP, and I just don't see it. not to say that it doesn't have other advantages, but those aren't it. it may feel faster due to the app caching and preloading, but benchmarks show win7 is slightly slower on execution of office/game/etc apps. when people say win7 is faster, I think what they mean is "my spanking new install of win7 on my freshly built i7 smokes my 5yo install of XP with a zillion app and device driver installs/uninstalls". well guess what? new install of EVERY MS OS feels fast (excerpt maybe for Vitsta LOL).

so what I'm saying is: don't be so quick to dismiss XP. it's a perfectly good working OS. XP's win explorer is also better than win7. I mean, have you noticed that win7 doesn't even show free disk space on the status bar, despite it taking up 3x the space it used too? or if you choose more than 15 files, you have to click more details to see the total file size? or how about if you want to include/exclude subfolders in search, there's no handy checkbox any more? you actually have to go into search options menu and change it every time. I could go on, but I won't.
I guess milage varies, i have the exact opposite experience on my ultra-low memory systems (256 and 512 mb ram)
Old 11th October 2009, 20:08   #10053  |  Link
Casshern

I tend to agree. Win 7 is not "faster" than win xp. Boot time has been optimized, but that's about it. But Win 7 has other major advantages for HTPC: DXVA2 works much better. It accelerates both VC-1 and H264 with the evr renderers. Also the aero interface has it's own vsync code, so one has additional options to avoid tearing. EVR gets all the developers attention these days - so i would rather use Win 7 than WinXP for an HTPC - But Win7 is certainly not faster than Win XP, my testing with chess programs even showed a 1-2% performance loss when switching to Win7.

Quote:

Last edited by Casshern; 11th October 2009 at 20:12.
Old 11th October 2009, 21:06   #10054  |  Link
Matching_Mole

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesgrey3 View Post
If anyone wants to consider ASIO, here is the official ASIO SDK. You'll need to create an account to download it, but it's all free.
This would be a great addition to MPC!!
Old 11th October 2009, 21:12   #10055  |  Link
Spec-Chum

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-UltraII View Post
cant find it either
It's there for dev purposes and not actually part of the user side of mpc-hc yet. Still very buggy, although Albain's doing a cracking job...
Old 11th October 2009, 22:47   #10056  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matching_Mole View Post
This would be a great addition to MPC!!
I took a look into the code and I will not be able to do it in a short period of time.
I am considering it as my first C++ project, so probably it will take a very long time before it happens...
If any of the developers likes the idea and see that would be easy and fast enough for him to do it, probably it would be a better idea.
If you don't want the hassle to register for getting the SDK, feel free to PM me.
Old 12th October 2009, 03:13   #10057  |  Link
nuhkka

having problems with this one .wmv file, when i open it it opens but when i seek it freezes.. heres the properties of the file with both mediainfo and mediacoder..

tried svn 1299, 1290, and 1296 and same thing happened, also used ffdshow decoder and had some problem..
Old 12th October 2009, 07:05   #10058  |  Link
lych_necross
ZZZzzzz...

Where did you get the file?
Old 12th October 2009, 07:16   #10059  |  Link
hoborg

Question - i noticed "MpcAudioRendererFilter.ax" file in standalone pack, but when i try to register it i got missing module error - is this normal?

How to start with Bitcoin
Old 12th October 2009, 12:41   #10060  |  Link
Brazil2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt87 View Post
Any chance adding Kernel Streaming for XP?
That would be nice indeed
Closed Thread

Tags
dxva, h264, home cinema, media player classic, mpc-hc