Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Closed Thread

Old 30th May 2009, 13:32   #8061  |  Link
gngn
the hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by allak View Post
I am at work atm and unable to test the latest mpc-hc, but I did not have any problems lately with MKVs with chapters.

I'm used to skip to the next or previous one with PageUp and PageDown and mpc does not crash.

I use only mpc-hc, no haali splitter or ffdshow.
yes, the problem is not with all embedded chapters, but only with some that have something different that will cause MPC-HC to crash.
almost all anime-encodes have embedded chapters, all the ones i have play fine with the internal mkv splitter, only the StrikeS encodes have got "some" problem, and it seems to be the same that makemkv generates, the valuues given to ChapterUID

later edit: its probably not related to the ChapterUID, but something else

Last edited by gngn; 30th May 2009 at 19:12.
Old 30th May 2009, 14:38   #8062  |  Link
pdanpdan

None of my mkv files crash with internal splitter. All h264 + mutiple AAC audio + multiple vobsub/srt subtitles + chapters (mkvmerge muxed).
The only problem I have with the internal mkv splitter is that it does not respect the prefered flag on audio/subtitle track.
Old 30th May 2009, 16:50   #8063  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post
I want to thank all the developers for the many bug-fixes over the past few weeks.

These fixes have fixed bugs as old as 2007!
I have closed many bugs on the bug-tracker as fixed (and some as out of date)

@Everyone,
Thank you for having a look at the bug's from batches 1 and 2, the information posted has helped fix some of them and close many of them.
Please take a look at batch 3 and see if you can confirm any of the 6 bugs(please also update the bug if you where unable to reproduce)

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?fun...rtgroup=898924

for those intersted, most of the subtitle and renderer(including DXVA) bugs should be fixed with build 1112 or higher, please confirm
Subtitles: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?fun...tegory=1165521
Renderer: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?fun...tegory=1165522
DXVA: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?fun...tegory=1165515
This problem isn't corrected with mpc-hc 1130
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func...61&atid=854651
Old 30th May 2009, 17:08   #8064  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury_22 View Post
I've "follow" your settings (and also reset all settings aka= clean / blank my ini file) and I'm still unable to get video (just audio) on some mkv files using internal splitter although with Haali's I have both video & audio

Can anyone confirm this ? or it's just me, again ?

Sample http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X4FA5TX3
Confirmed by me too, on my slow PC MPC even crashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gngn View Post
yes, the problem is not with all embedded chapters, but only with some that have something different that will cause MPC-HC to crash.
almost all anime-encodes have embedded chapters, all the ones i have play fine with the internal mkv splitter, only the StrikeS encodes have got "some" problem, and it seems to be the same that makemkv generates, the valuues given to ChapterUID
So it's not chapters per-se but the just chapters in a certain format
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdanpdan View Post
None of my mkv files crash with internal splitter. All h264 + mutiple AAC audio + multiple vobsub/srt subtitles + chapters (mkvmerge muxed).
The only problem I have with the internal mkv splitter is that it does not respect the prefered flag on audio/subtitle track.
I don't know if the internal splitters ever respect those, that would be a feature request i think
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarad View Post
This problem isn't corrected with mpc-hc 1130
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func...61&atid=854651
I don't think this bug will get fixed. It is caused by the "DVD Navigator"
there are a lot of different versions of the "DVD Navigator" spread over the different windows versions

The problem is caused by the way the "DVD navigator" reports the where in the stream we are, this information is inaccurate at best and a random guess at worst.

Beliyaal did say that he would try to find a workaround for the problem but that it would be very difficult(probably impossiple with the current framework).
The advice for now is remux to MKV and the subtitle timing will be accurate.

Last edited by tetsuo55; 30th May 2009 at 17:17.
Old 30th May 2009, 17:43   #8065  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:
I don't think this bug will get fixed. It is caused by the "DVD Navigator"
there are a lot of different versions of the "DVD Navigator" spread over the different windows versions

The problem is caused by the way the "DVD navigator" reports the where in the stream we are, this information is inaccurate at best and a random guess at worst.

Beliyaal did say that he would try to find a workaround for the problem but that it would be very difficult(probably impossiple with the current framework).
The advice for now is remux to MKV and the subtitle timing will be accurate.
If it's not fixed (although, to fix the problem, a solution (without modify "dvd navigator") would be to add a delay (only under vista) just when opendvd and load subtitle are used in the same time (then just for dvd movies) because with all dvds that I have the delay is always the same (I calculate with directvobsub that delay is nearly 1600 ms and I think it's the same delay for all dvd movies in the world under vista)) , it wil be important to add an option like in ffdshow or directvobsub that allow to add a delay to display subtitle.

I don't know if this problem exists under Windows 7.

Last edited by ikarad; 30th May 2009 at 17:57.
Old 30th May 2009, 17:59   #8066  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarad View Post
If it's not fixed (although, to fix the problem, a solution (without modify "dvd navigator") would be to add a delay (only under vista) just when opendvd and load subtitle are used in the same time (then just for dvd movies) because with all dvds that I have the delay is always the same (I calculate with directvobsub that delay is nearly 1600 ms and I think it's the same delay for all dvd movies in the world under vista)) , it wil be important to add an option like in ffdshow or directvobsub that allow to add a delay to display subtitle.

I don't know if this problem exists under Windows 7.
That would be a good solution if everyone using Vista actually has the same problem.

Windows 7 has no problems with this.
Old 30th May 2009, 20:16   #8067  |  Link
allak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury_22 View Post
for testing I was going nuts...
Your sample does contain an mpeg2 video track.

Do you have other samples that aren't working but that uses some other video codec (xviv, h264, etc.) ?

BTW, i have some mpeg2 in mkv working (ripped from DVDs), but they do contain a CodecPrivate section.

Your sample does not have any CodecPrivate section.

Last edited by allak; 30th May 2009 at 20:19.
Old 30th May 2009, 20:38   #8068  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:

Do you have other samples that aren't working but that uses some other video codec (xviv, h264, etc.) ?

BTW, i have some mpeg2 in mkv working (ripped from DVDs), but they do contain a CodecPrivate section.

If i understand the matroska specs correctly that would mean the file is technically incompatible and should not play.

Haali splitter should not work either, it probably has error resiliance or something
Old 30th May 2009, 21:15   #8069  |  Link
Mercury_22

Quote:

Sorry but no cause I'm only using mkv to backup my DVDs so only mpeg2
I'm using mkvtoolnix so maybe this
Quote:
Removed the workaround to find tags written by Matroska Shell Extension, this caused excessive file scanning when opening files created by recent MKVToolnix
from Haali's latest "official" Changelog it's relevant
Old 30th May 2009, 21:25   #8070  |  Link
allak

I agree with tetsuo55; from the doc about the supported codecs in Matroska at Haali site:

V_MPEG2
ISO/IEC 13818-2
MPEG-2 sequence header extracted from elementary stream, the stream itself does not contain any sequence/gopheaders anymore
Subtype MPEG2_VIDEO
Format MPEG2Video
CodecPrivate is copied to the format block starting at dwSequence header member of MPEG2VIDEOINFO

So I think the muxing of a mpeg2 video file in a mkv container should fill the CodecPrivate section.

Demuxing and remuxing it with mkvtoolnix does not help.
Old 30th May 2009, 21:34   #8071  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Maybe it's best to start with a bug report/support request here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1291790
Old 30th May 2009, 22:04   #8072  |  Link
allak

I have remuxed Mercury_22 sample from mkv to mkv with the eac3to tool by Madshi, that uses the Haali muxer, and now it playes correctly on mpc-hc.

So:

- mkvtoolnix sometimes does not create the codecPrivate section, at least for mpeg2 tracks

- the mpc matroska splitter is not able to handle them

- the haali splitter has some kind of workaround and it is fine
Old 30th May 2009, 22:16   #8073  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
I have remuxed Mercury_22 sample from mkv to mkv with the eac3to tool by Madshi, that uses the Haali muxer, and now it playes correctly on mpc-hc.

So:

- mkvtoolnix sometimes does not create the codecPrivate section, at least for mpeg2 tracks

- the mpc matroska splitter is not able to handle them

- the haali splitter has some kind of workaround and it is fine
Does it have the CodecPrivate after eac3to remux?
Old 30th May 2009, 22:35   #8074  |  Link
allak

Quote:
Does it have the CodecPrivate after eac3to remux?
yes it does
Old 30th May 2009, 22:36   #8075  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

The CodecPrivate for a MPEG-2 video stream is the first (!) sequence header found in the stream. This sequence header is also repeated in the bitstream itself. Therefore it is NOT mandatory.

Additionally: the sequence headers may change in the bitstream, but in such cases the CodecPrivate would NOT be updated. Again, there's no practical gain whatsoever in requiring CodecPrivate to be present for playback, no matter what the specs page say. I'll change mkvmerge to always write the first sequence header into the CodecPrivate for MPEG2 video tracks. However, there is no technical reason for you to require it to be present.

This is only valid for MPEG-1/2 video tracks. Other codecs have other requirements.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 30th May 2009, 22:39   #8076  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
The CodecPrivate for a MPEG-2 video stream is the first (!) sequence header found in the stream. This sequence header is also repeated in the bitstream itself. Therefore it is NOT mandatory.

Additionally: the sequence headers may change in the bitstream, but in such cases the CodecPrivate would NOT be updated. Again, there's no practical gain whatsoever in requiring CodecPrivate to be present for playback, no matter what the specs page say. I'll change mkvmerge to always write the first sequence header into the CodecPrivate for MPEG2 video tracks. However, there is no technical reason for you to require it to be present.

This is only valid for MPEG-1/2 video tracks. Other codecs have other requirements.
Thanks for the info and the proposed update, i will add this information to the splitter bug
Old 30th May 2009, 23:02   #8077  |  Link
allak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Mosu, you are certainly right; it is the internal Matroska splitter that works in the laziest possible way to extract mpeg2 tracks. I am now reading the source of the MPC splitter to see if there is some simple way for handling the case for a missing CodecPrivate.

But as you said it back in 2004:

"So for the sake of convenience I vote for the same as Cyrius: leave the stream as it is and ALSO put the first sequence header into the CodecPrivate."

http://lists.matroska.org/pipermail/...er/002148.html

Anyway, let me use this message to thank you for MKVToolnix, I am using it more and more and has always worked perfectly.
Old 30th May 2009, 23:16   #8078  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

After looking at my own source code I can say that this is definitely a newer bug -- the code for putting the sequence header into the CodecPrivate element is there, but that function is never called. This is new because it used to work a couple of versions ago; I don't know why I've changed it. Either accidentally or for some reason that I certainly cannot remember anymore.

So fixing it will be easy.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 30th May 2009, 23:42   #8079  |  Link
bur

Quote:
Can you find the exact regression point?
I couldn't pin it down exactly because xvidvideo.ru doesn't host every build.

But 1101 is still working for me while 1104 doesn't anymore, so the problem was introduced somewhere between those builds. From the changelog it seems that one of the fixes in build 1103 might be the source of the problem, especially this one: Fixed: Reset device could lock up player in VMR9 renderer mode. (For example when moving between monitors)

I just checked and changing the renderer to anything else than VMR9 prevents the lock-up, so it seems the fix broke things on my computer...

Here's my original post:
Quote:
I recently updated to build 1120 from an olde build, maybe around 1000 or earlier and since then mpc hc just shows an empty window after restarting from Hibernation. If I press the shortcut for play or click within the window, the audio can be heard, but no picture.

The same thing happens when I played a full screen game.

Software:
MPC HC build 1127
ffdshow 2968
XP sp3 (german)

Hardware:
nForce 430
8800 GT

Last edited by bur; 30th May 2009 at 23:47.
Old 31st May 2009, 09:52   #8080  |  Link
Steveo08

i have a question for the latest update from 1133:

"DX allocator for madVR"

what does it mean?
Closed Thread

Tags
dxva, h264, home cinema, media player classic, mpc-hc