Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Closed Thread

Old 11th April 2007, 22:07   #61  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpo View Post
im giving this prgram a go as i am finding that all windows wmp are slow and mem hugry as is powerdvd 7.3 - thing is can you open a dvd from the hard drive like you could with powerdvd ? folder -> audio_ts video_ts?
Just open the VIDEO_TS.IFO file with MPC and it'll play the folder's contents as a DVD.

Quote:
also how do you get nvidia puervide dvd decoder to work woth mpc ?
Can't really help you with that as all I use is ffdshow, but try disabling MPC's MPEG2 decoder in the options and it should get used automatically...

Look in "Play/Filters" in the menu (or just "Filters" in the context menu) to see which filters actually get used, and click on any of them to configure it.

np: Dosh - Everybody Cheer Up Song (The Lost Take)
Old 12th April 2007, 02:06   #62  |  Link
Delerue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpo View Post
also how do you get nvidia puervide dvd decoder to work woth mpc ?
Just install PureVideo and disable MPC MPEG2 internal filters. Piece of cake.
Old 12th April 2007, 16:44   #63  |  Link
Carpo

i will give that a go - thanks (to all)
Old 12th April 2007, 17:57   #64  |  Link
freeman3

do you have problems with exiting from full screen too?
Old 12th April 2007, 23:02   #65  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman3 View Post
do you have problems with exiting from full screen too?
Nope, but I've got some problems with seeking. I've configured all possible short-cuts, and they work fine for some time, both in windowed and fullscreen mode, so I don't think they could get in conflict with any other short-cuts from any other application. After some time, or after some seeking operations, they stop working. The latest build tends to do that earlier and after a shorter period of time than the previous one, so I had to switch back to an older compilation. Anyone else having this issue?

cheers,
HDBR77

PS. I would like to stress the above happens while watching. I don't launch any other single application or process in the meantime.
Old 17th April 2007, 09:37   #66  |  Link
Delerue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadBangeR77 View Post
Nope, but I've got some problems with seeking. I've configured all possible short-cuts, and they work fine for some time, both in windowed and fullscreen mode, so I don't think they could get in conflict with any other short-cuts from any other application. After some time, or after some seeking operations, they stop working. The latest build tends to do that earlier and after a shorter period of time than the previous one, so I had to switch back to an older compilation. Anyone else having this issue?

cheers,
HDBR77

PS. I would like to stress the above happens while watching. I don't launch any other single application or process in the meantime.
I don't know if this can help you, but I can't do a framestep back with these last builds; only framestep (forward). No matter what keys I choose.
Old 17th April 2007, 15:58   #67  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

When was the last build you could do a framestep with? It hasn't worked for me since I started using MPC, and that was several official releases back. (Almost a year and a half ago?) Most likely the bug cropped up at some point there.
Old 17th April 2007, 16:20   #68  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
When was the last build you could do a framestep with? It hasn't worked for me since I started using MPC, and that was several official releases back. (Almost a year and a half ago?) Most likely the bug cropped up at some point there.
That might also have to something to do with the fact that DirectShow doesn't support stepping back; all you can do is seek back some amount of time and pray it's going to equate a framestep back.

But with all the seeking and decoding involved therein (i.e. going up to 300 frames back on a video with a large I-frame distance and then decoding 299 frames ahead to go one frame back) I'm not sure it would be useable anyway; by the time you get to the previous frame you'll most probably will have hit the back key repeatedly, thinking it didn't register...

np: Radiohead - Lewis (Mistreated) (My Iron Lung EP)
Old 17th April 2007, 19:46   #69  |  Link
Delerue

Quote:
It's not like that. Some videos allow framestep back; framestep forward it's possible with all videos that I tested. But other videos (with different codecs, even still using FFDShow) can't. I noticed that with DivX and xVid MPC do the job well, but with MPEG2 and H.264 doesn't. Weird, ahn?
Old 19th April 2007, 20:09   #70  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerue View Post
It's not like that. Some videos allow framestep back; framestep forward it's possible with all videos that I tested. But other videos (with different codecs, even still using FFDShow) can't. I noticed that with DivX and xVid MPC do the job well, but with MPEG2 and H.264 doesn't. Weird, ahn?
Confirmed.
XviD material works fine with: xvid decoder, ffdshow's libavcodec, ffdshow xvid codec.
But not working with H.264 content at all: not with CoreAVC, and not with ffdshow' libavcodec.
But, in all cases, the SHIFT+arrows (go to keyframes) are working (if the internal splitters are used), not working with mpeg2, wmv materials ...

So it's clear that the decoder is responsible for this ...

Last edited by chros; 19th April 2007 at 21:01.
Old 21st April 2007, 12:21   #71  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

Quote:
Hello,
I've finally found some time to test the seeking and frame-stepping, as for now thoroughly with XviD (various builds) and DivX (3 Low Motion, 5.2, 5.2.1, 6.0, 6.2, 6.3). I'm using the build from the 5th of March atm. Seeking works as I described above, only the above described behaviour, when the short-cuts stop working, happens very seldom.

Frame-stepping works for me in both directions: forward without any fuss, backwards with one little problem - it goes 2 frames back after a short while, then it starts to work as it should - I can go back every single frame. One very important thing (!!!): I've been using the M$ AVI splitter, not the build-in one. I could risk a statement it works well with every AVI file I've tested so far, so it could /might be the built-in splitter issue (?).

After some very quick tests with AVC (in mkv and mp4 containers, Haali Splitter) - seeking is harder in general, and is much worse with b-frame pyramid enabled, however I think there isn't much anyone could do about it (?). Frame-stepping works well forwards, backwards doesn't want to work at all.

I can confirm chros's observations as to jumping to key frames (I just had a quick look at some mpge2 & wmv material).

cheers,
HDBR77

Last edited by HeadBangeR77; 21st April 2007 at 12:23.
Old 24th April 2007, 01:30   #72  |  Link
hdboy

can a remote control be used with MPC? I watch movies on my TV and it's a pain to run to the computer to pause and play. I guess I could get a wireless mouse but it's not as user friendly for the rest of the household.
Old 25th April 2007, 10:14   #73  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdboy View Post
can a remote control be used with MPC?
Of course, through the standard WindowsMessages: you need an another application (eg. Girder) and a physical unit which receives your (eg.) IR remote control signals, then send messages to the specific application.

I'm using an iMON (mine is Thermaltake MediaLab, but it's the same), they provided a software to it, but I'm using Girder (which can be not easy to program).
Old 29th April 2007, 01:04   #74  |  Link
Pyr0
Video N00b

Anyone know why Vista does not see MPC as an active application when playing video?
The screensaver and/or monitor powersave modes kick in while watching video

would anyone happen to know of any fixes or workarounds that do not involve disabling the screesaver or monitor time out?

or would it be possible to add some kind of command or switch to the MPC compile? *shrug*
Old 29th April 2007, 06:08   #75  |  Link
burfadel

I think Media Player Classic has two problems. The first being there's a large proportion of people that think its the old normal Windows Media Player, so they think why use that when I can use WMP 11 etc. A rename to MPC may help.

The second issue, and this is an important one as well, people are seriously put off by the interface. It needs to be updated to a modern styling and not one thats from Windows 3.1/95 days. The new interface won't take the spirit away from the programme, that is a very compact, fast, reliable media player, whilst attracting more people to use it. Many people don't use it just because the interface is um... ultra bland? to put it nicely. A revised interface, graphical shaded play buttons, smooth gradient colour etc thats adjustable will go a long way and won't add too much to the code if done correctly, nor would it slow it down.

Something along the lines of the 'revert' or 'corporate' skin on WMP11, but more updated because I'm sure people have good artistic taste! Some Vista styling would help too!

A version change to 6.5 could be done for this. There's no reason for keeping it at 6.4.9.0. There's so many versions going around called 6.4.9.0 its quite well, silly.

All these changes don't take away from the spirit of the programme and will keep it alive in the future. Failure to update the name, version numbering, and most importantly the interface will mean the programme will slowly die and only a few people who have been using it for a while will remain to use it.

The sooner this is done the better, as if you leave it too long even current users will revert to other media players, inferior or not, and the process of a dying programme project will begion!

Other things that need changing are the progamme dialogue boxes, such as the setup stuff, just needs a little modernising.

The other issue is using wildcards when opening a programme. Normally in the open file dialogue in other media players and programmes when you use a wildcard. ie. *traders* it will show all media files or other files with the word or part thereof of 'traders' in it. In MPC, it will open these files, some of which you may not want. This should be changed!

I hope I didn't sound too negative, I just want this to a be a successful programme for a long time and in its current state, especially with the interface and name, it won't be.
Old 29th April 2007, 06:38   #76  |  Link
GrofLuigi
Member of a Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfadel View Post
The second issue, and this is an important one as well, people are seriously put off by the interface. It needs to be updated to a modern styling and not one thats from Windows 3.1/95 days.
I disagree. I'm put off by any program that uses a skin. Draw me a button to click on, I don't need rounded borders.

But seriously, you have some valid points. Too bad the original author doesn't have time to update it.

GL
Old 29th April 2007, 10:30   #77  |  Link
burfadel

True! but yeah, a balance between simplicity and modernisation. Those skins I mentioned in WMP11 aren't the best, their styling is a bit off but they are simple which is the main point. I'm sure their are others that would continue on with its development if encouraged, and if it were well received. The problem like with many things is that its not being encouragengly developed because of the usage, and its usage is low because its not being encouragengly developed. Its a big winner because of its size, practicality, simplicity (one file), and performance, something which the new modern alternatives lack, but its drawback is its name, version numbering and interface all of which would only add a few hundred at most kb to the file size!
Old 29th April 2007, 10:32   #78  |  Link
clsid

Imho the simple interface is one of the things that makes MPC so great.
Old 29th April 2007, 10:43   #79  |  Link
sheppaul

It really depends on your taste.

As for me, simple is the best.
Old 29th April 2007, 10:57   #80  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Imho the simple interface is one of the things that makes MPC so great.
Quoted For Truth(TM)...

np: Hug - Fluteorgie (Heroes)

Tags
dxva, h264, home cinema, media player classic, mpc-hc