Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 25th October 2008, 20:21   #1  |  Link
hajj_3

What resolutions to recommend for use for certain bitrates with x264?

Hi, i've wondered for a while what resolution gives me optimum quality for each bitrate, i record tv in PDTV (usually widescreen). For say 950 bitrate would 640*352 be best? what bitrate would i need to be able to use 720*400 or 704*384? Would be very greatful for the answer, i know there is a tool for xvid that gives you a quality value which tells you which is best resolution for the filesize and duration you are using, but dont know if there is such a thing for x264.

I realise there isn't a single correct answer however i'd like a little guidance if there are minimum bitrates needed for certain resolutions to pass quality measures, think drf is the name for the xvid equivalent.

Hope someone can give me some pointers e.g 850 bitrate for 608*352, 950 bitrate for 640*352, 1200 bitrate for 720*400.

thankyou for your advise in advance.
Old 25th October 2008, 20:25   #2  |  Link

I closed your other thread for asking what's best. Then I instructed you in PM to open a new thread that doesn't ask what's best. But you are doing it again. So now you get another strike and another thread closure.

It's very simple: don't use the word "best".

Here's a link to the forum rules in case you are having trouble finding them. Read rule 12 carefully.

http://forum.doom9.org/forum-rules.htm

Executive summary: "Don't ask what's best".

Last edited by Guest; 25th October 2008 at 20:29.
Closed Thread