Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 20th April 2023, 20:48   #1  |  Link
chalkey147

Audio only Blu Ray Disc using multiAVCHD

I've recently discovered and downloaded the multiAVCHD application in the hope of being able to burn 96Khz/24 bit/6 channel audio only files to a blank BD disc.
Unfortunately I keep getting the message about track duration not being detected and even when I manually enter the duration of each track, the process just stalls. Has anyone here had success in burning audio only BD discs with this program, and/or been able to overcome this specific issue?
Thanks
chalkey147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2023, 14:00   #2  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkey147 View Post
I've recently discovered and downloaded the multiAVCHD application in the hope of being able to burn 96Khz/24 bit/6 channel audio only files to a blank BD disc.
Thanks
Using what format as the audio stream?
Old 21st April 2023, 21:47   #3  |  Link
chalkey147

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Using what format as the audio stream?
I've been using FLAC....
Old 22nd April 2023, 10:21   #4  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
I've been using FLAC....
That's not possible. You have to use an audio format that AVCHD supports. See the following: -

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...icles/00016537

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

Personally, I think it would be really good if someone was able to get a stable freeware AVCHD muxer up and running, especially as the AVCHD 2.0 specification technically supports lossless PCM audio up-to 7.1 channels.
Old 22nd April 2023, 15:41   #5  |  Link
chalkey147

Quote:
That's not possible. You have to use an audio format that AVCHD supports. See the following: -

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...icles/00016537

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

Personally, I think it would be really good if someone was able to get a stable freeware AVCHD muxer up and running, especially as the AVCHD 2.0 specification technically supports lossless PCM audio up-to 7.1 channels.
...thanks....but the tutorial states that FLAC is acceptable - snip attached....
Attached Images

Old 22nd April 2023, 17:06   #6  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
...thanks....but the tutorial states that FLAC is acceptable - snip attached....
multiAVCHD accepts multi-channel FLAC audio files upon 'input'. However the FLAC audio needs to be re-encoded to an audio format that is included within the AVCHD 2.0 standard upon output.

Cheers
Old 23rd April 2023, 13:58   #7  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

What happens if you use tsMuxeR in AVCHD mode ?
Old 23rd April 2023, 16:13   #8  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulgator View Post
What happens if you use tsMuxeR in AVCHD mode ?
I've tried this a few times over the years including yesterday using git-79b86ec.

Audio: LPCM 96/24
Video: AVC High@L4.1. Encoded from 72,700 (1920x1080) black images/frames at 24.000fps.
Total run time: 50m 29s

Methods tried: -
Created an Blu-ray ISO file using TSmuxer GUI. Burned the .iso file onto BD-R media using ImgBurn.
Created an 'AVCHD folder' mux using TSmuxer GUI. Used ImgBurn to create an .iso file. Burned the .iso file onto DVD+R DL media using ImgBurn.

Outcomes: -
Both discs will play through to the end (even through the DVD's layer change). However, as soon as I fast-forward through a track or skip to the next track (or tracks), the audio stops playing!

Perhaps there's an option within TSmuxer GUI I've missed. Or maybe the video track is not up-to specification
Old 23rd April 2023, 18:15   #9  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Thank you, SMD. Will repeat that.
That would point to a DTS? PTS? flaw in tsMuxeR worth reporting, I guess.

Just firing up TAW5:
The maximum AVCHD audio preference there allows LPCM 96kHz 7.1ch Surround 20bpS resulting in 18432kbps.
Have to get back to my larger repo for testfiles to mux and compare.

Last edited by Emulgator; 23rd April 2023 at 18:36.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2023, 22:24   #10  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

I would like to experiment more as I really like the idea of (primarily) creating Blu-ray 'audio only' discs with 96/24 or 192/24 lossless LPCM audio.

Especially as BD-R single layer (25GB) discs often work out cheaper than DVD-DL (8.5GB) discs...
Old 24th April 2023, 17:52   #11  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Earlier today I tried various methods of adding 'black only' or 'white only' encoded video streams to the above mentioned LPCM 96/24 audio source.

Methods tried: -
Encoded higher bit-rate 'black only' and 'white only' 24.000fps video streams along with closed GOP's every 24 frames and 0 b-frames.
I split the 50m 29s LPCM 96/24 audio stream into 11No separate audio streams (at their original track lengths).
A have also tried adding 'black only' or 'white only' encoded video streams to each one of the 11No separate audio streams.

All in all I tried eight different methods, including selecting TSmuxer GUI's 'Mux CBR' mode (under the 'General' tab).

Outcomes: -
After creating each of the .iso files and mounting them on my Windows 10 computer, not even VLC or MPC-BE was able to fast-forward through a track or skip to the next track (or tracks), without the audio stopping!
Old 25th April 2023, 01:03   #12  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

TAW5: quick and dirty AVCHD Audio mux test (for HDD/Memory, not using the AVCHD2.0 Progressive restrictions)
Just rendered and muxed a framecounter video (30000f FHD @ 23.976fps together with 2 LPCM audio tracks 7.1 96kHz 16bit
(5.1 source +2 ch silence ).
TAW5 warned this would be out of AVCHD spec (yes, I exceeded bitrate, intentionally to 26,5Mbps), and pressed the mux button anyway.
Video came out as 0,55Mbps, audio as 12,3Mbps per track.
MPC-HC 2.0.0 played that 00000.MTS flawlessly from SD, I could switch the 2 audio tracks, rewind and ffwd down to 0,06x, up to 128x.
So it is well possible to mux such within TAW5 (TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5).
Next I will try that with higher bit depths.

Last edited by Emulgator; 17th May 2023 at 17:19.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2023, 09:25   #13  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulgator View Post
Just rendered and muxed a framecounter video (30000f FHD @ 23.976fps together with 2 LPCM audio tracks 7.1 96kHz 16bit
(5.1 source +2 ch silence ).
I had not thought about using a frame counter or any other type of video with some form of motion in it.

Would you be willing to upload your video so I can generate some test files with it?
Old 25th April 2023, 15:57   #14  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

After more testing today I have established that my Blu-ray Audio disc playback issue is primarily related to how the video stream has been created.

After muxing full motion video (such as: MPEG-2, AVC or even VC-1) to the LPCM 96/24 audio stream, the disc works perfectly. Even if the video has been encoded with just 720x480 pixels.

So in order to create a compliant Blu-ray Audio or AVCHD Audio disc, the trick is to determine what the lowest supported bit-rate for the video stream can be!
Old 25th April 2023, 16:53   #15  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

That brings me to feed just
Blankclip(length=30000, width=1920, height=1080, fps=24.000*1000/1001, pixel_type="YV12",audio_rate=48000, stereo=true).
Let's see what TAW5 makes of this.
Old 12th May 2023, 14:21   #16  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
After more testing today I have established that my Blu-ray Audio disc playback issue is primarily related to how the video stream has been created.
I've managed to find a way of adding Blu-ray compliant AVC encoded black video in order to create 'audio only' Blu-ray discs.

While backing-up one of my HFPA Blu-ray audio discs I noticed that it contained some short black .m2ts video streams, which I've been able to copy and merge together multiple times into the required durations.

Using the previously mentioned 'muxing methods' I've been able to create fully working 'audio only' discs burned onto either Blu-ray or DVD+R DL media. After creation I simple place the 'audio only' discs into my Blu-ray player and they behave just like an regular audio CD would... Brilliant.