Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th November 2012, 10:28   #1  |  Link
cold_hell
none

Keyframes at exact time

Hi guys,
Is it possible if you use only x264 to force the encoder to put I frame at exact time or frame ( for example at 959, 3116 , 30209, 32367 for chapters) I found old thread from 2007 where the answer is negative, but since all groups do it now I think that it is implanted already. Sorry that I ask such stupid question, but i dont find anything even in the full help. (Go to 40sec, "lol, there is no keyframe, now go and decode last 5-10seconds on 10-30mbps..." seeking killer)

And second question: Is it possible using only x264 to cut some moment form the video (example: cut 959-3116 without spiting it into 2 parts (--frames + --seek --frames ). I know that I can link them with mkv merge, so it is not so important but cutting is really hard since there is no keyframe at the right moment (question 1) and it suck for decoding

Last edited by cold_hell; 18th November 2012 at 10:32.
cold_hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 10:33   #2  |  Link
sneaker_ger

1. --qpfile (You can omit the quantizer for recent x264 versions)

I don't quite understand your second question. You can indeed use --seek and --frames to encode only a specific part. Keyframes don't matter because you re-encode.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 11:31   #3  |  Link
cold_hell
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
1. --qpfile (You can omit the quantizer for recent x264 versions)
Thanks, works perfect for me as far I can see from the quick test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
I don't quite understand your second question. You can indeed use --seek and --frames to encode only a specific part. Keyframes don't matter because you re-encode.
If you encode first part with --frames and second one with --seek --frames you will get 2 files. I was just wondering if it is possible to encode them at one file.
But as I said it is not important.
cold_hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 13:32   #4  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_hell View Post
If you encode first part with --frames and second one with --seek --frames you will get 2 files. I was just wondering if it is possible to encode them at one file.
But as I said it is not important.
Use Avisynth/Vapoursynth input and then use the Trim() command and the "+" operator.

This way you can cut out arbitrary sections from your source video and join them together to a single continuous input stream for the encoder.

I don't think x264 alone can do that currently. It can only select one A...B section from the input (by using --seek and --frames).

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 18th November 2012 at 14:26.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote