Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 30th April 2022, 14:16   #1  |  Link
aElahi

CRF algorithm implemented in x264

Hello everyone,
Where I can find CRF algorithm implemented in x264? I want to study the default rate-distortion algorithm in ffmpeg and x264.
I'd appreciate any comment.
aElahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2022, 21:33   #2  |  Link
rwill

CRF is no rate distortion algorithm but a bitrate control mode.

CRF lets you specify a constant picture QP for the whole sequence like constant QP, but in float.

This picture QP is then scaled by the 'complexity' of the local pictures if I remember correctly, someone correct me here please.

the mbtree algorithm and aq mode, which work on a macroblock level, then add to this picture QP to derive a QP for a macroblock.

I think when mbtree is enabled the complexity of a picture is always 1.0, ie no scale, but again I am not so sure about this one.

So I suggest to look at the mbtree, aq mode and bitrate control code.
There is a paper on mbtree here:
https://huyunf.github.io/blogs/2017/...tree paper.pdf
rwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2022, 01:47   #3  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

"CRF" mode without MB-Tree is pretty much just "Quantizer Curve Compression" (qcomp) with a fixed pre-defined scaling factor.

As opposed to the "2-Pass" and "1-Pass ABR" modes, which also are based on the very same "qcomp" algorithm but constantly re-adjust the scaling factor in order to hit a specific target average bitrate.

In "CRF" mode, the fixed scaling factor is computed from the given CRF value, but is not exactly the same as the given CRF value.

The following applies to all RC modes:

Simply put, the "qcomp" algorithm increases the QP for more "complex" frames and lowers the QP for less "complex" frames, where the "complexity" is the estimated bit cost of the frame.

MB-Tree, which is now enabled by default, replaces "qcomp" and extends that idea to the macro-block level. The QP of an individual macro-block now depends on how much that block is going to be referenced in the future.

Adaptive quantization (AQ), which also adjusts the QP's of individual macro-blocks (within the current frame), is kind of "orthogonal" to both, MB-Tree and the traditional "qcomp" algorithm.

See also:
https://code.videolan.org/videolan/x...atecontrol.txt

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 1st May 2022 at 02:34.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2022, 12:14   #4  |  Link
hello_hello

Was aElahi referring to rate distortion rather than rate control? That is, the psychovisual enhancements (--psy-rd)?
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crf, rate control, video encoding