Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 19th February 2020, 19:23   #1  |  Link
loninapleton

A current recommendation to get started with SRT subtitle translations

In the experience of Doom9 users and others, what is the best method using free software to make SRT subtitle translations?

I am able to do the extraction procedure from various programs.

But I resist using an online translator due to privacy issues. If that cannot be avoided, what is the best method? I have little experience with so- called cloud computing of any kind.

My sample is a 30 minute interview extracted from an MKV.

thanks for any guidance
loninapleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 16:40   #2  |  Link
Tadanobu

Making subtitles from scratch : VisualSubSync Enhanced
Anything else : Subtitle Edit
Tadanobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 21:28   #3  |  Link
loninapleton

Thanks for answering. I received no email notification on this reply.
What I've seen but have no real guide for is using Subtitle Edit _with_ whatever Google cloud product is needed.

And what about cyrilics for Russian or Polish, and Chinese etc?
Old 20th February 2020, 22:28   #4  |  Link
loninapleton

I've experimented a bit with Subtitle Edit to do translations.

A Google Translate API key is needed for a fee.

But Subtitle Edit will try to do the translation-- in my case to Polish --in standard alpha text. It actually did a completion that way in the free version but I do not speak Polish or anything other than English so I can't proof it.

But the question follows: Does anyone here or in the subtitle community vouch for some accuracy on the free version?

I also thought some anime site might help with that.
Old 20th February 2020, 23:16   #5  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

there any way to use API-less program for free with microsoft translator ?
Old 15th November 2020, 05:52   #6  |  Link
subtitle.one

Quote:
But I resist using an online translator due to privacy issues.
You can try https://subtitle.one

I am the creator of this website and I guarantee none of your subtitle files will be uploaded to our servers for translation or adjustment. You can check your browser Network tools to see where the traffic goes. The translation is performed directly in your browser, i.e. your browser will invoke Google Translate directly and create the translated file in the browser without sending any portion of the subtitle file to any other servers other than Google's servers, of course.
subtitle.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2021, 03:41   #7  |  Link
pullingmyhairout

thanks
pullingmyhairout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2022, 17:23   #8  |  Link
xofaho

Subtitle Edit is one of the most famous and popular programs for making subtitles, but let's not limit to it only. There are also Jubler, VideoProc Converter, AegiSub, DivXLand Subtitler, etc.
xofaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2022, 07:44   #9  |  Link
loninapleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtitle.one View Post
You can try https://subtitle.one

I am the creator of this website and I guarantee none of your subtitle files will be uploaded to our servers for translation or adjustment. You can check your browser Network tools to see where the traffic goes. The translation is performed directly in your browser, i.e. your browser will invoke Google Translate directly and create the translated file in the browser without sending any portion of the subtitle file to any other servers other than Google's servers, of course.
I am back since not getting any notifications of new entries to this thread. I'll make a physical note to check back from now on. ( Could a moderator check my email address for replies? I'll double check what's in my console--else PM for it.)

I may not be stating the request correctly. Transcribe as a person who takes down dictation is more accurate. Then saved in SRT Format.

I was just correcting what had to be a subtitle transcription by a human for a Broadway On HD play. That professional sub came to me anonymously and filled with errors too numerous to get into. I corrected the whole play using a print copy of the play line by line using that flawed SRT in Subtitle Edit.

I think the pay for programs use mp3 as an example in the way Youtube does. I've tried to get a private upload at Youtube to then create their subs just to get the timing in to an SRT and then do the correction from a play text. My source was too long to get past their gates.

Sonix and Maestra are pay-for tools that will take an audio and do the procedure for a fee. I have privacy arguments with that but moreso since how they do time billing is vague. Example: if your content is one hour and you want to do corrections is the time billing for just the transcription or every typo and correction you make while doing your edit?

The tools mentioned here I'd like to explore as well. But I am not a professional in the field. I do these subtitle jobs for enjoyment and the ability to have the live drama 'proshots available to more viewers. Also other languages which those in the other languge can then correct as needed.

Last edited by loninapleton; 3rd February 2022 at 07:52.