Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th June 2017, 16:11   #44101  |  Link
cyber201

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber201 View Post
When I press STOP, the display remain in HDR mode.s
By enable Force to exit from fullscreen before stop,
the display return in normale mode
cyber201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 16:29   #44102  |  Link
SamuelMaki

A slightly off the topic question, but hopefully I am forgiven:

My LG TV has a PC-mode only on 59 or 60hz refreshrates, it drops to the full-processing mode with anything else (23,24,25,29,50 etc).
Hence I am asking if there is any real reason why I shouldn't use 60hz and smooth motion with madVR?
Is the blending algorithm worse than what TVs do? I doubt this 2010-year panel does REAL 24hz, but some sort of internal conversion to 60hz or close instead. It has the LGs "True Cinema" toggle in settings though, which apparently in new models means 72hz, but when doing a custom resolution with 72hz, it drops frames and is still 60hz really. Very confusing for sure. However even with all settings turned off in the LG, when it is not in PC-mode, the text is less sharp and clearly some processing still left, which I am trying to eliminate with the PC-mode in the first place.

So! Anyone using LG TVs or older TVs in general which claim to work with all signals, but having a close to 60hz panels? Are you preferring the TV or the madVRs smooth motion for it? Is there any real downsides on using frame blending in such case on big screen?
SamuelMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 18:05   #44103  |  Link
AbbeKoenig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
No, G-Sync does not mix well with madVR. You need to turn it off, at least for your media player (add it to Program Settings and set Monitor Technology to Fixed Refresh, under Manage 3D Settings). G-Sync gets very confused and you get random drifting refresh rates with terrible judder as it drifts around.
Looks like it might be G-Sync after all. I've turned it off in the nVidia Control Panel. I'm also using an outboard 60Hz screen though.
AbbeKoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 19:00   #44104  |  Link
Asmodian

I definitely prefer 60 Hz with smooth motion on any TV that doesn't have a good 24 Hz mode. I find smooth motion better than the 3:2 judder or 4:2:2 processing that occurs when using the other modes.

The only reason not to use smooth motion is the slight softening due to the blended frames but that is usually much better than what the TV would do.
Old 14th June 2017, 21:36   #44105  |  Link
huhn

you should use your eyes. the number of people that doesn't notice 3:2 judder is pretty high.

it sounds strange but LG TV are not that bad at the true 24p even with 60 hz panels. if they run the screen at 48 or something like that i don't know. and that doesn't mean they accept a custom resolution at 72 hz and stuff like this.

just to give you an idea how strange the TV market is there are a lot of Philips TVs that can do PC mode at any refresh rate and do proper 24p even cheaper ones. only sony is a saver choice they can usually do this too. on the other hand Samsung totally fail in this regard with the 2016 series most screen can't do 24p properly even the more expensive ones.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 23:47   #44106  |  Link
ryrynz

I've seen this mentioned a bit, how does one know if it "can't do 24p properly" Are you saying there are bad implementations of 3:2 judder or that the TV is simply not running at almost exactly 23.976Hz or some multiple of it?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 00:19   #44107  |  Link
huhn

a lot of TVs out there display everything with 60 or 50 hz they can't do anything close to 23p.

when smoothmotion is more smooth than a 23p signal you got one of these screens. the number is of displays that are unable to do 23p is gigantic and the number of people that doesn't notice it is even bigger.

for example my TV can do 23p "properly" without pure direct mode (PC mode) with pure direct mode on it is doing a 3:2 judder. so i'm using the pure direct mode at 60 hz with smoothmotion.

my old Philips could a that without a problem in PC mode.

of cause you should never forget to disable the motion interpolation when you are testing this.

rtings is testing this: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku7500
i don't like the way they test it but it's ok.
Old 15th June 2017, 11:21   #44108  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelMaki View Post
I doubt this 2010-year panel does REAL 24hz, but some sort of internal conversion to 60hz or close instead. It has the LGs "True Cinema" toggle in settings though, which apparently in new models means 72hz, but when doing a custom resolution with 72hz, it drops frames and is still 60hz really.
Maybe you should not do a custom resolution for 72Hz, you should do one for 24Hz. The conversion to 72 probably happens "behind the scenes" inside the TV.
This is what happens on my Kuro with Advanced PureCinema settings. It takes a 24fps source and it does 3:3 pulldown to display it at 72Hz (but you never see anywhere on the display info any reference to 72Hz).

Last edited by ashlar42; 15th June 2017 at 11:40.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 11:29   #44109  |  Link
YxP

@SamuelMaki

Make sure you are not sacrificing 4:4:4 when doing something else than 60hz. My TV is also pretty old and anything else than 1920x1080@60hz will activate TV's own processing.
YxP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 02:26   #44110  |  Link
johnnylaiyee

@SamuelMaki

Bear in mind that 47.952 is also achievable for perfect playback.

My LG 65UH8500 handles 47.952 better than 23.976
johnnylaiyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 11:10   #44111  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Clean install of Win 10 (pre CU) x64. latest Madvr. Gtx 1080 Strix.

My problem -

Playing some files in FSE gives dropped frames, but no dropped frames in non-fse. both dx11, with the default buffer settings set for non-fse and fse.

Mediainfo for such a file:

Complete name : E:\Videos\4K Video Downloader\The_World_in_HDR_in_4K_HDR10.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4 / Version 2
File size : 308 MiB
Duration : 2 min 34 s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 16.7 Mb/s
Movie name : The World in HDR in 4K - Demo-UHD3D.com
Encoded date : UTC 2017-04-24 13:38:07
Writing application : mkvmerge v11.0.0 ('Alive') 64bit
Writing library : libebml v1.3.4 + libmatroska v1.4.5

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Bit rate : 16.6 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 59.940 FPS
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.033
Stream size : 306 MiB (99%)
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Audio
ID : 2
Format : Vorbis
Format settings, Floor : 1
Codec ID : A_VORBIS
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 128 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate : 48.199 FPS (915 spf)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 2.02 MiB (1%)
Writing application : Google
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Cheers

K

UPDATE:

Lowered by GPU queue down to 4 and used jinc to render at 4k and its fine. Odd, would have thought a GTX 1080 strix would have no problem with a 4k HDR clip @ 60fps.

Update 2:

FSE kinda works now if I use copyback (cpu maxes at 30% (4x4.4 ghz) and gpu queue of 4. Odd things is, here's by GPU stats playing the file?

GPU clock max 2139 mhz
Mem clock 10962 mhz
GPU Temp max 57c
GPU usage 86% max
Mem usage 2564 out of 8191 mb

If using cpu instead of copyback, my cpu jumps to 100% and its a mess.

Final Update - resolved.

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 16th June 2017 at 17:34. Reason: Issue resolved.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 12:19   #44112  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
if you can't force deinterlancing with the hotkey than this should be a bug in madVR.

i guess you need to ask a different progDVB user if it works for him. so nothing i can do anymore.
So, did anyone else run into deinterlacing issues?

What could cause it's non functioning even if it's set to "on" via hotkey?
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 13:22   #44113  |  Link
Paul Tronc

Hello,

I currently have a chuwi hi13 which embed the 3000x2000 display of the last surface pro, together with a Celeron N3450 (Intel Apollo Lake Quad Core with Intel HD 500).

I tried to set the combo mpchc + LAV + madvr (all 32bits), with the lowest settings, using the hardware as much as possible : LAV -> quicksync (i tried DXVA2), madvr upscaling -> DXVA2 (I tried other options like bicubic with no change).

When I launch any x264 1080p movie mpchc says "hardware acceleration" is active. But despite of this I get about 50ms rendering time with a lot of frame drop and stuttering image.

The default windows 10 movie player plays rather smoothly, but I'd prefer to fine tune the rendering using madvr. I expected to be able to enable smooth motion, to be honnest. I think hardware acceleration is not correctly used.

Could you remind me which are the recommended settings for such hardware?
Old 16th June 2017, 16:49   #44114  |  Link
huhn

a to slow decoded video shouldn't effect the rendertimes or with other word your GPU can't handle it.

intel iGPU are throttling heavily with temps and cpu usage there is no much you can do with a low end GPU and an over 1080p screen.
Old 17th June 2017, 09:31   #44115  |  Link
SamuelMaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
Maybe you should not do a custom resolution for 72Hz, you should do one for 24Hz. The conversion to 72 probably happens "behind the scenes" inside the TV.
This is what happens on my Kuro with Advanced PureCinema settings. It takes a 24fps source and it does 3:3 pulldown to display it at 72Hz (but you never see anywhere on the display info any reference to 72Hz).
Figured to quote only this, of course read the others too.

Well, I tested it with 72hz custom resolution AND 48hz one. Both drop frames in the smoothness tests and simple things like doing scrolling is more stuttering than with windows set to 60hz. As the display still continues to be refreshed near 60hz regardless of what signal it is sent to it.

If smoothmotion only gives a tad of blending on it, I guess I can live with that nicely, so going to just ditch the TV's processing and go for 59/60hz display with smoothmotion and reclock. At least the movie I watched seemed more smooth this way (and didn't have to add audio delay for the processing).

Thanks for the help, was not entirely sure what kind of stuff TV manufacturers advertise as "true 24p" nowadays. Hopefully the marketing bullshit gets done with as modern panels support better ranges natively.
SamuelMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 10:19   #44116  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Don't use ReClock with Smoothmotion enabled... They are opposing forces.

QB
Old 17th June 2017, 15:47   #44117  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post

QB
Mmmmh not really: ReClock syncs the video to the graphics card output clock, while smoothmotion converts framerate. You could use 59/60 Hz and still have missed/repeated frames if the player and the gfx clock are not in sync and ReClock fixes that, though I admit modern graphics cards have more precise clocking and modern renderers are better at this and it's less a problem than in the past.
Old 17th June 2017, 15:49   #44118  |  Link
XMonarchY

Could someone recommend me settings for playing 4K HEVC 10bit content on my 1080p TV for smooth playback? Obviously the settings I use to play 1080p content are too heavy to play 4K content smoothly.
Old 17th June 2017, 16:13   #44119  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post

QB
thry work together fine but with a close refresh rate reclock alone is enough.
with a not matching refreshrate relclock is not that useful and smoothmotion is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Mmmmh not really: ReClock syncs the video to the graphics card output clock, while smoothmotion converts framerate. You could use 59/60 Hz and still have missed/repeated frames if the player and the gfx clock are not in sync and ReClock fixes that, though I admit modern graphics cards have more precise clocking and modern renderers are better at this and it's less a problem than in the past.
with smoothmotion you are not repeating/dropping frames. they are shown in the OSD with every "number" but it is not going to happen.

and modern GPU are not better than older ones. there is simply more than 1 clock generator in a system and that the core of the problem.
Old 17th June 2017, 20:16   #44120  |  Link
Damien147

@Madshi

Is it hard and a lot of work to add frame interpolation??
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling