Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > Forum / Site Suggestions & Help

Closed Thread

Old 26th December 2021, 05:24   #1  |  Link
PCU

New section: Stream rippers

I think it's time to add sections like stream rippers (like StreamFab/AnyStream) to Doom9, because discs are dead.
Old 26th December 2021, 17:23   #2  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCU View Post
I think it's time to add sections like stream rippers (like StreamFab/AnyStream) to Doom9, because discs are dead.
I suspect such softwares would not fall into the category of 'fair use', unlike backing up discs... See Forum Rule 6

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 26th December 2021 at 17:46. Reason: Link to forum rules
Old 26th December 2021, 19:17   #3  |  Link
PCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I suspect such softwares would not fall into the category of 'fair use', unlike backing up discs... See Forum Rule 6
You subscribe and download it on SSD, this is completely legal because you bought it and you legally own the work!
Old 26th December 2021, 20:01   #4  |  Link
lvqcl

Quote:
you bought it and you legally own the work!
Nope. For example, Netflix terms of use:

Quote:
The Netflix service and any content accessed through the service are for your personal and non-commercial use only and may not be shared with individuals beyond your household. During your Netflix membership you are granted a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable right to access the Netflix service and Netflix content. Except for the foregoing, no right, title or interest shall be transferred to you. You agree not to use the service for public performances.
Quote:
Some Netflix content is available for temporary download and offline viewing on certain supported devices (“Offline Titles”). Limitations apply, including restrictions on the number of Offline Titles per account, the maximum number of devices that can contain Offline Titles, the time period within which you will need to begin viewing Offline Titles and how long the Offline Titles will remain accessible. Some Offline Titles may not be playable in certain countries and if you go online in a country where you would not be able to stream that Offline Title, the Offline Title will not be playable while you are in that country.

Last edited by lvqcl; 26th December 2021 at 20:05.
Old 26th December 2021, 20:30   #5  |  Link
PCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvqcl View Post
Nope. For example, Netflix terms of use:
No!
Ripping DVDs is the same thing as what you do with Streams!

Last edited by PCU; 26th December 2021 at 20:57.
Old 26th December 2021, 21:10   #6  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
No!
Ripping DVDs is the same thing as what you do with Streams!
Paying a subscription for a media streaming service is not the same as owning a physical copy of the content. Which is the basis of 'fair use'.
Old 27th December 2021, 09:21   #7  |  Link
PCU

Let me make a very important point that in copyright law: DRM bypassing is illegal in any way, now it wants to be a video game or software, a disc or a stream.
All the companies that make DVD Ripper or DVD Cloner are either Chinese or based in Central America, none of them American or European because of copyright laws, so if Stream Ripping is illegal, the whole ripping/cloning CD/DVD/BD process is illegal too! (most users just rent a DVD/BD and then rip it and...!)
Closed Thread