Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 27th May 2022, 21:59   #19501  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Record your desktop and upload your video somewhere. This way I will see what you see and help me to identify your issue.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2022, 23:24   #19502  |  Link
slalom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS View Post
Hi slalom, you haven't posted in quite a while...

I kind of agree, but it's not always the best option.

Depending on the workload.
I am around...
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2022, 01:52   #19503  |  Link
TDS
Formally known as .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelstrife View Post
Hi, Is there there a guide of some sort for the distributed encoding? i'm trying to figure why it isn't working for me.

Ive got encoding servers open on both PC's and both PC's Ip's entered into the encoding client on the main PC both say online, but when i add a movie to encode and hit start it just says "please wait" and then after a minute or two says "All jobs finished" pop up notification despite nothing actually happening.

Ive got both PC's windows firewall disabled to eliminate that as the issue.
I have read about some software causing issues which is why i reinstalled windows on one PC and the other received a fresh reinstall about three days ago and only has 6 programs installed since then (Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, SABnzbd, media info, 7zip)

Is there a port that needs to be open? ive got no idea why this isnt working
Hi, you posted a very similar "question" nearly 3 years ago...you were having problems with DE....did you fix it, back then ??

You've listed the programs you've installed, BUT have you got an nVidia GPU, as the drivers (or part there of) can cause a lot of problems.

And apparently some Logitech stuff, does to.

Maybe you need to go back to your 1st post, and see what replies you got....their might be a "fix" mentioned back then.

As long as the other PC(s) have slightly different IP address's, and on the same group, it should work.

It's probably something simple, but it's frustrating !!!!

If you can't get it to work, do what Atak suggested, and he WILL be able to help, I'm sure.

Long term RipBot264 user.

Ryzen 5950X, 5900X & 3950X.
Dual Xeon E5-2697v2.
2 x Dell Poweredge R720's (dual E5-2680v2)
and many others
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2022, 07:02   #19504  |  Link
Axelstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Record your desktop and upload your video somewhere. This way I will see what you see and help me to identify your issue.
Here you go, i am recording from Gaming PC and remoting into my plex server PC.
https://youtu.be/GJAZRLf6dzA
Axelstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2022, 07:13   #19505  |  Link
Axelstrife

Quote:
Hi, you posted a very similar "question" nearly 3 years ago...you were having problems with DE....did you fix it, back then ??

You've listed the programs you've installed, BUT have you got an nVidia GPU, as the drivers (or part there of) can cause a lot of problems.

And apparently some Logitech stuff, does to.

Maybe you need to go back to your 1st post, and see what replies you got....their might be a "fix" mentioned back then.

As long as the other PC(s) have slightly different IP address's, and on the same group, it should work.

It's probably something simple, but it's frustrating !!!!

If you can't get it to work, do what Atak suggested, and he WILL be able to help, I'm sure.
The issue back then was different, i actually did have that issue this time but i solved it and then ran into this issue.

both PC's have Nvidia GPU's RTX 3090 and GT 720(9900kf in this PC doesn't have igpu) ive not installed any drivers from Nvidia's website yet so it's only whatever drivers windows uses.
No logitech software is installed

I posted a Youtube link the a screen recording showing exactly what happens in reply to Atak.
Old 28th May 2022, 07:39   #19506  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelstrife View Post
Here you go, i am recording from Gaming PC and remoting into my plex server PC.
https://youtu.be/GJAZRLf6dzA
Hi,

I have just watched this clip, and unfortunately, it's not really clear enough to see exactly what's going on. (It helped a little when I put my glasses on).

You might want to change the UAC settings, so you don't get that popup warning.

What happens if you don't use DE, just the single basic encode ???

Are you using the Pauly Dunne build ???

I use that, and don't have any issues...

Do you have any other PC's you can connect to ??

Dual Xeon E5-2697v2.
and many others
Old 28th May 2022, 08:16   #19507  |  Link
Axelstrife

Quote:
Hi,

I have just watched this clip, and unfortunately, it's not really clear enough to see exactly what's going on. (It helped a little when I put my glasses on).

You might want to change the UAC settings, so you don't get that popup warning.

What happens if you don't use DE, just the single basic encode ???

Are you using the Pauly Dunne build ???

I use that, and don't have any issues...

Do you have any other PC's you can connect to ??
THANKYOU!, Your comment just lead me to figure out why it wasn't working.

I was manually opening "encoding client" not knowing it would automatically open when i start an encode which i just discovered when attempting to encode only on a single PC but i didn't turn off distributed encoding in the settings so the encoding client popped up.

Thanks for the UAC tip, those are annoying.
Old 30th May 2022, 20:41   #19508  |  Link
slalom

You don't have to, you setup everything in DE settings
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2022, 04:46   #19509  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
You don't have to, you setup everything in DE settings
Yes, he's got it working now, I PM'ed him

It's just that there's no relevant instructions on how to do it, anymore.

Dual Xeon E5-2697v2.
and many others
Old 7th June 2022, 03:14   #19510  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Time for another update...

Hi,

There are several significant updates in this build (read the changelog)

Also, I have completely re-organised the Script & Custom Scripts folders, so it's not so cluttered in the Custom Script list.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...72#post1970572

And as always, backup your existing Tools folder before using this, just to be sure.

Good luck.

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 20th June 2022 at 04:27.
Pauly Dunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2022, 00:49   #19511  |  Link
MCFish

Thanks man
Old 9th June 2022, 04:38   #19512  |  Link
TDS

I'm curious why my Ryzen 3950X & 5950X (16 core) are encoding quite a bit slower than the 5900X (12 core), even an old dual Xeon X5690 is faster.

This a 4K encode, but on other encodes they "catch up".

https://i.imgur.com/xRW77Rb.jpg

Dual Xeon E5-2697v2.
and many others
Old 9th June 2022, 13:55   #19513  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
I'm curious why my Ryzen 3950X & 5950X (16 core) are encoding quite a bit slower than the 5900X (12 core), even an old dual Xeon X5690 is faster.

This a 4K encode, but on other encodes they "catch up".

https://i.imgur.com/xRW77Rb.jpg
Are you degraining? Did you uncheck that box to "Limit to the following filters only"? If you are using Pauly Dunne's Tools, make sure you add SMDegrain to the list. Use Atak's experience here. Not every one of the pieces in RB needs to be threaded and only certain processes can take advantage of it and too many threads can slow down the machine.

In my post a few weeks ago, when I got my new to me dual CPUs with 14 cores and 28 threads I had awful performance when using MDegrain at the time. Once I dug into it I found I had to limit the number threads.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...47#post1968247
In my case, for that system, 14 threads was optimal for my general encoding even though I had 48 CPU/Threads.

My suggestion is to use a grainy 4K 15-20 minute sample as your test and tune each encoding server individually with degraining enabled. Enable the "Limit to the following filters only" option. Change the chunk size to 2-5 minutes (for testing), enable only one Server process. Then tune that machine to the number of threads that get the highest fps possible. Watch the Task Manager during this time and if you are getting less than 80% utilization and if so, after tuning for one Server process, increase it to two and see what your overall FPS is. Once each computer has been tuned for the number of threads, then run your encodes again.

Your set up should just fly when each machine is tuned.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2022, 14:50   #19514  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
Are you degraining? Did you uncheck that box to "Limit to the following filters only"? If you are using Pauly Dunne's Tools, make sure you add SMDegrain to the list. Use Atak's experience here. Not every one of the pieces in RB needs to be threaded and only certain processes can take advantage of it and too many threads can slow down the machine.

In my post a few weeks ago, when I got my new to me dual CPUs with 14 cores and 28 threads I had awful performance when using MDegrain at the time. Once I dug into it I found I had to limit the number threads.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...47#post1968247
In my case, for that system, 14 threads was optimal for my general encoding even though I had 48 CPU/Threads.

My suggestion is to use a grainy 4K 15-20 minute sample as your test and tune each encoding server individually with degraining enabled. Enable the "Limit to the following filters only" option. Change the chunk size to 2-5 minutes (for testing), enable only one Server process. Then tune that machine to the number of threads that get the highest fps possible. Watch the Task Manager during this time and if you are getting less than 80% utilization and if so, after tuning for one Server process, increase it to two and see what your overall FPS is. Once each computer has been tuned for the number of threads, then run your encodes again.

Your set up should just fly when each machine is tuned.
Yes, I was degraining a grainy 4K, and I had "Limit to the following filters only" unchecked, and threads at "0".

Then I did add SMDegrain to the list, and checked the "Limit to the following filters only", and changed the Threads to 24, didn't make a noticable difference, if anything, it was a little slower.

But now that you have provided a fairly detailed process of "tuning", I will definitely take some time to get it set up.

Having said that, each encode can be quite different to another, even each chunk can change, due to it's "content's".

Well done, thanks.

Edit:-

Well after spending a couple of hours testing this process, with & without SMDegrain in the "list", trying many different threads, and I thought I'd found the sweet spot @ 22 threads.

And I found the difference between having SMDegrain in the "list", and "Limit to the following filters only" checked or not, made very little difference.

So at this point, I'll just have to put up with the 16 Core Ryzens being slower than the 12 Core 5900X (at least on this particular encode), I'm using a pretty high tr setting.

video=SMDegrain(video,tr=10,thSAD=1000,thSADC=500,thSCD1=400,thSCD2=130,contrasharp=true,prefilter=2,str=1.2,refinemotion=true)

Dual Xeon E5-2697v2.
and many others

Last edited by TDS; 10th June 2022 at 05:39.
Old 10th June 2022, 04:29   #19515  |  Link
wamar21

Quote:
Yes, he's got it working now, I PM'ed him

It's just that there's no relevant instructions on how to do it, anymore.
Here's a quick setup on a fresh win10 install

https://youtu.be/tftERYq94GE

Last edited by wamar21; 11th June 2022 at 12:03. Reason: hyperlink
wamar21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2022, 05:30   #19516  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamar21 View Post
Here's a quick setup on a fresh win10 install

https://youtu.be/A3tWMGkmcaM
Best viewed in 1080p, turn the sound down, and play at 0.5 speed.

Welcome to the Forum, and I'm sure a LOT of people will appreciate that you took the time to do this.

Even tho you're using a VM, the basic steps are the same.

Cheers

Dual Xeon E5-2697v2.
and many others

Last edited by TDS; 10th June 2022 at 08:09.
Old 10th June 2022, 20:12   #19517  |  Link
wamar21

Thanks, I also noticed a few ambiguities I wanna clear up anyway. Hopefully this one stays useful for as long as possible. Ill tweak it a bit.

I wanted it to be somewhere between "good, clear, useful tutorial" and "annoying 2000s homage/shitpost" but I may have rode that line a bit too close.

UPDATE: Removed the "brb helping w/ groceries" bit for clarity's sake, RIP cultural artifact.

Last edited by wamar21; 11th June 2022 at 12:06.
wamar21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2022, 13:22   #19518  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Well after spending a couple of hours testing this process, with & without SMDegrain in the "list", trying many different threads, and I thought I'd found the sweet spot @ 22 threads.

And I found the difference between having SMDegrain in the "list", and "Limit to the following filters only" checked or not, made very little difference.

So at this point, I'll just have to put up with the 16 Core Ryzens being slower than the 12 Core 5900X (at least on this particular encode), I'm using a pretty high tr setting.

video=SMDegrain(video,tr=10,thSAD=1000,thSADC=500,thSCD1=400,thSCD2=130,contrasharp=true,prefilter=2,str=1.2,refinemotion=true)
So each of your encoding servers is set for 22 threads? I would think each one would be different based on number of cores, IPC capabilities, etc. I would probably actually run just MDegrain2 for the tests to get your baseline. I know there is some variance in encoding speed when dealing with different aspect ratios and 4K vs HD.
Old 11th June 2022, 14:48   #19519  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
So each of your encoding servers is set for 22 threads? I would think each one would be different based on number of cores, IPC capabilities, etc. I would probably actually run just MDegrain2 for the tests to get your baseline. I know there is some variance in encoding speed when dealing with different aspect ratios and 4K vs HD.
No, they are not...I was only testing on the Client PC, which is one of the 16 Core Ryzen's, but I ended up just putting it back to "0" for the Threads, Unchecked "Limit..." option, and removed SMDegrain from the list.

It seems that it's the particular filter I am using, a VERY strong high "tr" #.

When I go back to using "normal" filter's, ALL the Ryzen's are pretty much equal.

Fortunately, I don't think I have too many "extra" noisy 4K's to filter, and it's not much of an issues with lesser resolutions.

I might give MDegrain2 a go when I have some spare time, but for now I just want to get some encoding done, while the weather is nice & sunny, which it hasn't been for months & months.

As I don't "waste" electricity doing encodes on overcast days, or over night !!! It's a fine weather, Solar Energy only, process !!

EDIT:-

SSDD....so I tried something a little weird today, I actually limited the Cores available to the CPU in BIOS, so the 16 core CPU, would now run with 12 cores !!!

Surprisingly enough, it made a significant difference...FASTER !!!, but only on that very heavy filter script.

Another thing I tried was the x265 commands...I added --pools 24 that didn't seem to have much of an affect.

Dual Xeon E5-2697v2.
and many others

Last edited by TDS; 12th June 2022 at 06:09.
Old 12th June 2022, 11:25   #19520  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
No, they are not...I was only testing on the Client PC, which is one of the 16 Core Ryzen's, but I ended up just putting it back to "0" for the Threads, Unchecked "Limit..." option, and removed SMDegrain from the list.

SSDD....so I tried something a little weird today, I actually limited the Cores available to the CPU in BIOS, so the 16 core CPU, would now run with 12 cores !!!

Surprisingly enough, it made a significant difference...FASTER !!
This is why you have to tune the CPU threads for each of your encoding Servers (per computer). So run a 1 minute chunk and time each one just using MDegrain2. Adjust the threads until you find the sweet spot for the encoding server. I would still use the Limit to the following filters option enabled though.

I think if you spend a couple of hours or so tuning your threads for each of your Servers it will pay big dividends in encoding time vs watts used.

Atak: You might want to create a tool that uses MDegrain2/SMDegrain that will find the sweet spot for thread use per Computer. As CPU core count seems to be increasing more and more people are going to hit this issue.

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360