Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th August 2022, 20:27   #63361  |  Link
tony359

I'm not sure how but I managed to enabled a bunch of extra HDR options and I now get some extra statistics when putting them on screen.

A couple of questions
1. The measured frame is the maximum brightness of any given pixel on screen for that frame?
2. tone map xxxnits means that that level of brightness mentioned above is mapped to that new value
3. What are the graphs on the right? The colour ones I guess it tells the distribution of colour - in this case a very bluish picture. What about the top one? Distribution of number of pixels vs their brightness? In this case, the max brightness on the image is measured at 700 nits but the graph is telling me there are only a few pixels at that brightness and that the majority of the pixels have a lower value?

Thanks!
Attached Images

tony359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2022, 22:58   #63362  |  Link
x7007

I have weird issue with madvr. I can't watch hdr anymore. I am using potplayer and everytime I try to use madvr for hdr I get instant display driver crash and the driver display is disabled with dxgKrnl or something error and amd display driver has recovered but it never recover i lose signal and I need to restart rentable and disable and re-enable. I only happens with my Epson 9400 projector. anyone knows what the hell happened?? I tried windows 11 os one without the newest updates with different configuration. hdr works normally in games and using the normal potplayer hdr and in movies program of windows 11.. I am lost..... I tried 22.5.1 and 22.7.1 it is exactly the same. I tried the newest madvr version the same

I was using 113. is it some time bomb for this version? why would the projector crash instantly or it started happening after like 20 min into a movie and then it instant crash none stop. I can't understand. why would the TV work fine but the projector would crash none stop??

Miniport driver failed to add device with status {Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful.

Faulting application name: StartMenuExperienceHost.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0xae77557b
Faulting module name: amdxx64.dll, version: 31.0.12015.1008, time stamp: 0x62dee67c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000004390d9
Faulting process id: 0x21a8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8ab701f65bba1
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\StartMenuExperienceHost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0381283.inf_amd64_49e777606ed7f517\B381690\amdxx64.dll
Report Id: a3502503-a31b-4a05-a117-569a1c4a8ed5
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_10.0.22000.37_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

How do I fix this?? I can't watch HDR with MadVR on my projector, nothing changed!

EDIT : I reseted all the settings with 113 and just unselected all the trade quality fore performance and HDR Passthrough instead let MadVR decide, and now it works fine, but I have no idea which setting now cause that... to remind it happened on 2 Windows 11 on different SSD's but it's from the same image, but one is normal usage 24/7 and another one is not updated almost 2-3 months, only with latest 22.7.1 drivers.

IT'S NDU!
it crashes as soon I enable upscaling NDU how can I fix it?

Last edited by x7007; 9th August 2022 at 03:52.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2022, 07:23   #63363  |  Link
huhn

i'm surprised that you can even switch between HDR passthrough and tone mapping using win 11. madVR is not working properly with win 11 or not at all.

if your GPU driver is failing try an older one. you are using an AMD card you should be used to this.
soon to be a year old: http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=674

if NDU so i guess NGU is causing the crash well then don't use it.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2022, 04:18   #63364  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i'm surprised that you can even switch between HDR passthrough and tone mapping using win 11. madVR is not working properly with win 11 or not at all.

if your GPU driver is failing try an older one. you are using an AMD card you should be used to this.
soon to be a year old: http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=674

if NDU so i guess NGU is causing the crash well then don't use it.
HDR works fine for both my TV and Projector, issue was the projector HDMI Cable!! can't trust no other HDMI cable than the Zeskit. Aliexpress cables and in my country HDMI cables are totally BS. even though the projector is 2.0 and the cable is 2.1 5meters it worked fine till now, but it did cause AMD driver detection crash everytime I switched between TV and projector, replacing the HDMI to the best brand Zeskit 5 meters Ultra high speed works perfect.

looking at your link, why do you use 21.8.1 and using Exclusive Full-screen mode???? to fix the HDR mode use Windowed mode and update to the newest drivers AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition. Adrenalin 22.7.1 Optional. 620 MB. 7/26/2022

to sum it up, I'm using
Windows 11 x64 newest build and it works since the start
6900XT 22.7.1 worked also for all version before it
Potplayer newest version + LavFilters 76.0.1 set to D3D11 and Automatic not specific GPU - Exclusive mode disabled
MadVR 113 Exclusive mode disabled, Windowed mode only
Sometimes when opening potplayer after a restart then I need to switch to windowed full screen 2 times for HDR to actually go to HDR, but it is exactly one time.

If it still doesn't work reset MadVR to default settings and try again, if it does work see which setting caused it not to work.

AMD is pissing me off, I bought the HD FURY Vrroom and I can't use it because AMD drivers doesn't passthrough VRR! it is always Freesync and HDFURY can't display that!! when will they fix that! Only NVIDIA works fine with VRR and display VRR on the LG OLED CX TV when you disable AMD Freesync on the TV menu.

Last edited by x7007; 10th August 2022 at 04:37.
Old 10th August 2022, 06:29   #63365  |  Link
huhn

because the bug report is from that time. and you should read it.

and again think about that for a sec your GPU driver is crashing because you have a different cable.

what has AMD to do with VRRroom VRR support AMD just send a proper VRR signal if the VRRroom doesn't support then it doesn't support it nvidia and AMD VRR are technically the same but not as a signal.

the CX VRR is utterly broken anyway. more flicker plz on nvidia gsync certified and AMD freesync premium display.
Old 10th August 2022, 09:47   #63366  |  Link
flossy_cake

MadVR is very good and Windows 11 is very bad — say "no" to Windows 11. Just say no.

Now this may be a little off topic for THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion, but I'm looking at a 3rd retro TV series which to my brain looks "fake" and "like the actors are on a set" for the HD Bluray remaster vs SDTV/DVD version:

1. Start Trek: TNG (1987)
2. Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (1993)
3. Macgyver (1985)

All 3 of these look "funny" to me in their HD remasters. The lighting and set construction seems phony, like the backgrounds are made of cardboard or something. Something is really rubbing my brain the wrong way and I'm in search of a video processing solution to emulate the original crappy SD look.

For those of you playing at home you may recall earlier I found a pseudo solution with the following saved to a text file with .avs extension opened with MPC-HC:

Code:
DirectShowSource("MacGyver.mp4")  
BicubicResize(704, 240)  
BicubicResize(704, 528)

# then tag the video file with eg. [matrix=709] and [primaries=709] if the file was encoded with 709 matrix & primaries
# otherwise MadVR will decode with wrong SD colours ⁠— see MadVR's tips.txt file for more info
In the above example I'm downscaling to 240p as the SD master of MacGyver is super blurry, everything looks like a hazy dreamland or something.

But somehow this still isn't quite right & it's more than just resolution. I think it needs downscale to 480p + specialized blur kernel and/or DNR?

Comparisons
Scene 1: DVD/SDTV, Bluray 240p, Bluray 1080p
Scene 2: DVD/SDTV, Bluray 240p, Bluray 1080p
Scene 3: DVD/SDTV, Bluray 240p, Bluray 1080p
Scene 4: DVD/SDTV, Bluray 240p, Bluray 1080p

Note: I am well aware the HD remasters are superior in every technical way, so please don't come at me. Unfortunately it seems the human mind is not always aligned with technical superiority when it comes to art.

edit: after some more pixel peeping it seems the original SD master might have more filtering in the horizontal direction than the vertical. Halving the horizontal to 360x480 combined with MadVR noise reduction strength 3 seems to be a better match.

edit: seem to have a good result with 720x480 + MadVR DNR strength 3 + Gaussian blur 2x2 pre-resize (in MPC-HC shaders section)

Last edited by flossy_cake; 13th August 2022 at 01:01.
flossy_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2022, 14:32   #63367  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
because the bug report is from that time. and you should read it.

and again think about that for a sec your GPU driver is crashing because you have a different cable.

what has AMD to do with VRRroom VRR support AMD just send a proper VRR signal if the VRRroom doesn't support then it doesn't support it nvidia and AMD VRR are technically the same but not as a signal.

the CX VRR is utterly broken anyway. more flicker plz on nvidia gsync certified and AMD freesync premium display.
Again, the CX is fine. the problem is with AMD. I can't say otherwise

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers...highlight/true
On the TV it always says FreeSync and not VRR, with Nvidia it does say VRR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO_n-WMDb4c
Old 10th August 2022, 16:35   #63368  |  Link
huhn

sony doesn't follow freesync they use HDMI VRR only (last time i checked freesync was suppose to work). they are differences in protocol. there TV don't have to support gsync or freesync. for the end device is does not matter as long as it understands the signal but sending it is a different story.

OLED are in general broken in term of VRR i have not seen a test for the 2022 series but other have flicker issue in dark scene some more some less.
Old 10th August 2022, 18:24   #63369  |  Link
Sunspark

flossy_cake, you would have an interesting time figuring this out for a series like Stargate SG-1.. they started on 16mm film, then switched to 35mm film, then switched to digital HD.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2022, 18:31   #63370  |  Link
Filmgeek47

Do we know what windows 11 version broke MadVR HDR settings?
Filmgeek47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2022, 18:47   #63371  |  Link
huhn

i know 22581 broke it but that doesn't mean it was the first version.
i assume 22000 just had duplicates on my system.
to be save you have to use win 10.

i didn't checked every version for this issue i even stop using win 11 by unrolling from the insider version. the issues got to big and can not be ignore anymore. it may actually work in the newest win 11 dev build.

at this time we sadly don't even know if this is a general issue or a combination of settings to trigger it.

btw. i assume the entire bug comes from the changes to the calibration system in win 11 and madVR ask for old information and get them wrong. but that's just a guess.
Old 10th August 2022, 19:43   #63372  |  Link
SirMaster

Hmm, I know a couple people using madVR on Windows 11 and it seems to be working OK other than the duplicating EDID entries. But that doesn't really seem like that big of an issue.
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2022, 23:51   #63373  |  Link
flossy_cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
flossy_cake, you would have an interesting time figuring this out for a series like Stargate SG-1.. they started on 16mm film, then switched to 35mm film, then switched to digital HD.
Damn, maybe I should just give up and try to enjoy the HD versions? I'm looking at S01E01 of Babylon 5 Bluray and that also looks to me like "actors on a set"

Another idea I had was to simply zoom the frame out to a smaller window with MPC-HC's zoom hotkeys, to simulate the smaller size of a CRT. The less I see the more it leaves to the imagination?
Old 11th August 2022, 00:48   #63374  |  Link
tony359

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossy_cake View Post

Note: I am well aware the HD remasters are superior in every technical way, so please don't come at me. Unfortunately it seems the human mind is not always aligned with technical superiority when it comes to art.
Those productions were just intended to be broadcast in SD. So when make up was done and sets were constructed, lots of small details were overlooked. In HD you clearly see that some alien appearance is make-up but back in 1987 they must have said "this is good enough, the imperfections won't be visible on TV".

Then FullHD arrived, the masters were nicely restored and here you have your "actors on a set" feeling.
Old 11th August 2022, 18:36   #63375  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
MadVR is very good and Windows 11 is very bad — say "no" to Windows 11.
I don't think it's the fault of one or the other, it's just a combination of Microsoft keeping pushing new features and way of making some stuff work because they need to or it will stagnate, GPU manufacturers changing stuff to keep up with those developments, and application developers not always updating as fast as needed to keep up with it.
There have been problems with madVR and Windows 10 in the past (render queue not filling up on 1803, crashes with some HDR test builds on old GPU drivers, HDR not switching correctly or getting stuck, etc.) and madshi wants to keep using the proprietary HDR APIs of the GPUs when Microsoft is clearly pushing for use of Windows' own, so at one point stuff is going to break.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony359 View Post
Those productions were just intended to be broadcast in SD. So when make up was done and sets were constructed, lots of small details were overlooked.
While this is true, I'd still rather watch the remastered HD versions even if it means seeing small flaws, than watch 240p downscaled blurred stuff.
Those low def masters looked OK at the time because the displays of the time were also blurrier. Now watching them on a fixed pixel display is horrible.
Old 12th August 2022, 00:22   #63376  |  Link
tony359

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
While this is true, I'd still rather watch the remastered HD versions even if it means seeing small flaws, than watch 240p downscaled blurred stuff.
Those low def masters looked OK at the time because the displays of the time were also blurrier. Now watching them on a fixed pixel display is horrible.
Oh don't get me wrong, me too! For Star Trek TNG I feel they did a good job - and you just try to ignore the imperfections!
Old 12th August 2022, 00:55   #63377  |  Link
Sunspark

Quote:
Damn, maybe I should just give up and try to enjoy the HD versions? I'm looking at S01E01 of Babylon 5 Bluray and that also looks to me like "actors on a set"

Another idea I had was to simply zoom the frame out to a smaller window with MPC-HC's zoom hotkeys, to simulate the smaller size of a CRT. The less I see the more it leaves to the imagination?
It would be more enjoyable to have some weed and see how it is.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2022, 00:59   #63378  |  Link
flossy_cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
It would be more enjoyable to have some weed and see how it is.
I don't have any weed, just some old CBD oil thats past its use by date. However it seems that taking my glasses off helps.

That's another thing -- optometrists want to prescribe me lenses with 20/20 vision and I feel like that's seeing the world in too much detail. If foreground and background are all in razor sharp focus it feels like information overload sometimes. Some movies are like that where they don't use any depth of field and every scene feels like it's very flat, 2 dimensional and overly detailed.
Old 14th August 2022, 13:17   #63379  |  Link
Balling

Quote:
I don't have any weed, just some old CBD oil thats past its use by date. However it seems that taking my glasses off helps.

That's another thing -- optometrists want to prescribe me lenses with 20/20 vision and I feel like that's seeing the world in too much detail. If foreground and background are all in razor sharp focus it feels like information overload sometimes. Some movies are like that where they don't use any depth of field and every scene feels like it's very flat, 2 dimensional and overly detailed.
CBD + lion's mane + reddening niacin. Yep. I prefer 20/15 contact lenses, when you are young, it is still possible. Even I cannot do 20/13 and 20/10, alas.
Balling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2022, 00:51   #63380  |  Link
fourbigkids

Hi all.

Having some problems with madvr and my GPU with playback of videos that did not cause a problem previously with the same settings. GPU is a Gigabyte GeForce-RTX-2060-Windforce-6G-OC. CPU is an Intel i5 8600. I use MPC-BE with madvr as the selected renderer. HTPC has Windows 11 installed, ‘upgraded’ from Windows 10 a few months ago, possibly around the same time this problem started.

The problem is that the GPU fans are repeatedly speeding up, and slowing down, loudly, to the point that it interferes with the dialog on the TV. According to the performance stats on the PC, the GPU 3D performance is running at about 70% when MPC-BE and madvr are running, with, for example the following video:

Performance Stats

Temperature goes up to about 80degrees, the fan ramps up to full speed, the temp drops a little, the fan slows. Temp rises and fan speeds up, repeatedly. Sometimes, the video will freeze while this is going on and the frame render rate goes from the usual 14-15ms to over 35ms.

With the same video, 3D performance sits at around 15-20% with MBC-BE and the MPC Video Renderer, and in VLC player.

While I don’t have previous performance stats, fan speed has never been an issue before. I assume therefore that performance % and heat have been lower. I have taken the GPU and examined it and there is no dust present. The fans are clean and unobstructed with a good flow of air.

I see that some have been having problems with HDR and Windows 11, but I could not see any reports in the thread on madvr performance hits due to Windows 11.

Attached below are the stats. The settings have not changed in a year or two and have performed very well up to now.

Appreciate any ideas what might be going on here. Is it known issue with Windows 11? Are there any particular parameters that might need tweaking to reduce the gpu heating up but limiting loss in video quality in Windows 11? Do I need a new gpu? 😊

Cheers,

Allan

Last edited by fourbigkids; 17th August 2022 at 01:12.
fourbigkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling