Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 13th January 2013, 06:59   #41  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Elemental's professional stuff is quite impressive, and they use nVidia GPUs on CentOS Linux. So, good quality H.264 (and MPEG-2, ProRes, and VC-1) encoding on GPUs is certainly possible.
Old 15th January 2013, 21:34   #42  |  Link
Filker

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
There is written in Release Notes of AMD APP SDK 2.7:
Additional features supported in SDK 2.7 and the Catalyst 12.4 drivers include:
• Video encode using VCE Encode (Win7)
• Open Encode update (12.4)

Looks like it is supported, It may be new MFT AMD Encoder? Wonder what is Open Encode, similar to OpenCLDecode?
"Open Video Decode

This sample uses the new Open Video Decode API to read in compressed H.264 and MPEG2 elementary stream frames of video (provided) and decodes and displays them. Gaussian Blur Filter has also been implemented as a post-processing step before displaying."

http://devgurus.amd.com/thread/159235

http://developer.amd.com/tools/heterogeneous-computing/amd-accelerated-parallel-processing-app-sdk/samples-demos/

"Open Video Encode

The OpenVideo Encode library provides an OpenCL API that leverages the video compression engine (VCE) on AMD platforms for H.264 encoding. This sample illustrates the use of the OpenVideo Encode library to encode video in the H.264 format. The sample takes a YUV file as input, encodes it using the OpenVideo Encode library and then saves the compressed elementary stream to disk."

http://developer.amd.com/wordpress/media/files/openEncode.zip
Filker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2013, 09:51   #43  |  Link
Selur

btw. is there a freely available command line encoder which uses nvenc out there?
Old 31st March 2014, 14:30   #44  |  Link
colinhunt

Reviving a year-old thread for a moment... I've just tested an NVENC plug-in which works in Adobe Premiere CS6/CC and Adobe Media Encoder CS6/CC.

Installed the plug-in to AME CC, and disabled CUDA acceleration in AME so it uses NVENC only. Fed AME a 118 GB ProRes file (runtime 96 minutes) which was used for a Blu-ray master, tweaked NVENC parameters a bit and set it to work on a 1080p AVC output.

Encoding rig is Windows 7 64bit with a i7-3820 CPU and a GeForce GTX 760 GPU. Encoding was done as a single pass VBR with maximum bitrate set to 28mbps and target set to 20mbps. During the process CPU load bounced around 30%, GPU load at 4-5% and GPU's VE load at 40%.

The job was completed in 46 minutes. IQ wise the result looks more than passable, although it must be said the source was shot on Arri Alexa and is generally quite low on sensor noise. That said, I noticed the image jerks slightly every now and then, which is not in the ProRes master file. Frame rate conversion was not done so it's not the culprit. The fault may lie with PowerDVD 13 which seems to be the only player on my PC capable of playing this unmuxed, raw .m4v file.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nvidia