Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning

Old 10th December 2012, 07:13   #1  |  Link
Dew

Benq 162i

Hi, I have not been in the forum for quite some time and am not sure where I should post this.
I have used for many years my 162I Benq external burner and it unfortunately has quit.
I took it to my tech and he said that he could get the replacement part for it and I explained that I wanted it to be able to work as before with "bit setting", as I always burned in DVD - ROM.

I tried to research BenQ and know that they sold the co. and now can't even find archival info.
I am wondering if the tech will be able to get the part so that I have "bit setting" for DVD-ROM.

I am no techie and am not sure if I am explaining myself properly.
I do hope that I can hear from a " knowledgeable user" so that I am insured that the tech that I am talking to understands my needs.

BTW I have tried looking at what meagre offerrings there are available in "dvd burners" now and see nothing that indicates burning in dvd-rom capapbilities.
What is out there here in British Columbia are portable Alurtek, IOMEGA full size and portable?
Not much.
I would really appreciate some help.
Thank you for your time.
Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 09:38   #2  |  Link
Przemek_Sperling

Have you tried Media Code Speed Edit http://www.digital-digest.com/software/mcse.html ? It is a great tool for changing booktype.

I just realised that you do not have the firmware to patch :-/ It is available here: http://www.firmwarehq.com/BenQ/EW162I/files.html

Last edited by Przemek_Sperling; 10th December 2012 at 10:13.
Przemek_Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 22:40   #3  |  Link
Dew

Hi thx for the reply. The laser eye is gone on the BenQ 162I and so the burner is not working. The tech tried to order the part and that was 8 weeks ago. Apparently it comes from China?
Thus at the moment I have no burner and have been out looking around and have just seen these portable usb burners, Asus, Aluratek, Transcend and none of them indicate the capability of burning in ROM and are actually very flimsy compared to the full size BenQ.
I may have a lead on a new older Lite-On and am waiting for the info, but am not familiar with how to bit set and the shop that has the unit is going to mail me the details.
I will post if I get info on bit setting on that unit.

What is your opinion on these portable usb burners and bitsetting and ROM.
I some how feel it likely is not possible??

I thank you for taking the time and look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards...desperate!
Old 11th December 2012, 00:54   #4  |  Link
Dew

I have been able to locate a Lite On (EZ-DUB)
DX- 20A4PU but the store owner does not know if this external burner will burn in dvd-rom, nor does he know how to bit-set it and whether it will stay in dvd-rom setting by default as he said that there were issues with other Lite Ons not staying in DVD ROM by default.

I hope someone can advise if this would be an equal performer as my external BenQ 162I in terms of performance.
I just received this info and thought that I should post.

I look forward to a reply.
Thank you