Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 31st March 2009, 16:57   #81  |  Link
spida_singh

I know keeping HD audio was recently added, a request to have this feature extended to the custom file size option. Reason being, i watch all my media via a popcorn hour, my backups are all either 5 GB, or 10GB, give or take a little depending on the length of the media.

regards
spida_singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 23:59   #82  |  Link
wakebrder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spida_singh View Post
I know keeping HD audio was recently added, a request to have this feature extended to the custom file size option. Reason being, i watch all my media via a popcorn hour, my backups are all either 5 GB, or 10GB, give or take a little depending on the length of the media.

regards
I second this request.

Some shorter movies/TV episodes could be backed up with movie only/HD audio @ 720p.

If someone decides to back up a 3 hr movie with DTS-MA @ 1080p to a DVD-5, should they really be backing up their discs in the first place?

Thanks again Jdobbs!!
wakebrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 02:22   #83  |  Link
GaPony

How about an option to play a .wav file at the end of processing, to alert the user that the operation is complete.

Yea, I know its trivial, but given the processing time, its nice to keep things moving along without more downtime than is necessary when we have alot of movies to do.

I won't hold my breath on this one.
GaPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 02:44   #84  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPony View Post
How about an option to play a .wav file at the end of processing, to alert the user that the operation is complete.

Yea, I know its trivial, but given the processing time, its nice to keep things moving along without more downtime than is necessary when we have alot of movies to do.

I won't hold my breath on this one.
Not exactly elegant...but as a stop gap solution I just make 4 folders with copies of BDRB\associated files inside and set 4 instances to go at once.

18-24 hours later...4 Blurays...
Furiousflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 03:18   #85  |  Link
Capsbackup

I vote for a "shut down after rebuild", since I would not want to hear an audio alert while I'm trying to sleep in the middle of the night or early morning. Also, the "after glow" of the humming from my I7 920 has warn off, so the noise from it silenced after completion would be a welcome one.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 05:43   #86  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
I vote for a "shut down after rebuild", since I would not want to hear an audio alert while I'm trying to sleep in the middle of the night or early morning. Also, the "after glow" of the humming from my I7 920 has warn off, so the noise from it silenced after completion would be a welcome one.
That's why I asked for the option... user chooses to use it and what .wav file to use.

I wasn't planning on getting up in the middle of the night to change discs... just something to hear when I'm doing something in another room while awake.

Like I said, I won't hold my breath for this feature to be implemented.

Last edited by GaPony; 2nd April 2009 at 05:49.
Old 2nd April 2009, 05:44   #87  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiousflea View Post
Not exactly elegant...but as a stop gap solution I just make 4 folders with copies of BDRB\associated files inside and set 4 instances to go at once.

Ouch! You must hate your PC.... do the work of four, not even getting paid for the work of one.

What processor are you using?
Old 3rd April 2009, 05:05   #88  |  Link
onesloth

It would be useful to me if I could use BD-RB to replace the video or audio streams (or m2ts) with files I encoded myself.
onesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2009, 16:07   #89  |  Link
colinhunt

It would be nice if BD-RB had the intelligence to *not* re-encode the video stream if it fits in the destination size as-is. I'm currently testing v0.20.05 with Ghost in the Shell, and by simply removing one audio track the data would fit on a BD-25 without re-encoding.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2009, 17:01   #90  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Ouch! You must hate your PC.... do the work of four, not even getting paid for the work of one.

What processor are you using?
lol yeah just splashed out on a core i7 920 and clocked it to 4Ghz with 12GB memory.
Old 10th April 2009, 22:43   #91  |  Link
archaeo
Banned

Quote:

Hmm...wondering how you did that. I tried it with just two separate folders, and get an error (failed to encode) after extracting audio/subs. It appears that I can't get two instances of x264 to run at the same time.

Last edited by archaeo; 10th April 2009 at 23:06.
archaeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2009, 23:51   #92  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
Hmm...wondering how you did that. I tried it with just two separate folders, and get an error (failed to encode) after extracting audio/subs. It appears that I can't get two instances of x264 to run at the same time.
weird...

I have 4 folders BDRB1\2\3\4 (each contain everything in the bdrb distribution).

I have 4 work folders bdwork\1\2\3\4

Simple as that...

Very strange, you shouldn't have a problem running 4 instances of x264. There is no limit to my knowledge. Are you sure you have each instance of bdrb set to run with differet work folders\source folders etc.

Running at least 2 is a good idea because the 1st pass in x264 only uses just over half of the cpu anyway so might as well put it to use.
Old 11th April 2009, 03:05   #93  |  Link
archaeo
Banned

Quote:
Are you sure you have each instance of bdrb set to run with differet work folders\source folders etc.
For the record, I'm running a Core2duo, OC to 3.2Ghz.
Yeah, the source and work folders are different, however the source drive happens to be the same - but not sure that has anything to do with it.
I'll tinker with it a bit and see. But I definitely don't want to crash the system and have to re-do an encode pass
archaeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2009, 05:32   #94  |  Link
GaPony

Having a single source drive shouldn't be a problem. The drive's cache should be able to handle the activity. Once the program is loaded into memory, all should be good... if you have enough RAM.
Old 11th April 2009, 14:15   #95  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Having a single source drive shouldn't be a problem. The drive's cache should be able to handle the activity. Once the program is loaded into memory, all should be good... if you have enough RAM.
Yeah this pretty much. I run the 4 instances on the same drive for the source and work. But run any of the instances that have a massive m2ts first and let them extract on their own.

At encoding time it doesn't matter at all that it's all on the same drive.

Personally I were using a core2duo I'd just have 2 instances...since there's only 2 threads it would slow encoding down to a degree running 4 x264 copies (i would expect)
Old 11th April 2009, 23:24   #96  |  Link
pcdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
Ok I know that this is going to sound stupid to those of you who face greater than 10 hour reencodes, but if possible I would like to see a return to batch encoding. I figure that overnight and during the time that it takes me to get home from the real world I can easily do at least 3 to 4 BD movies depending on length.
Well it takes me much longer than 10 hours to reencode, but batch encoding would still be an awesome option, especially during the times when I go out of town for extended period of times.
pcdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 10:27   #97  |  Link
turbojet

Could quick encode of extras use CRF with the same settings that are set in quality (--ref --psy-rd --trellis etc.)
- OR -
Could there be an option in ini and/or gui that sets the quality of the quick extras that's separate then the main movie quality setting?
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 21:31   #98  |  Link
Sharc

^
I am looking forward to when the currently greyed out <One Pass Encoding> will allow us to run 1-pass crf encodes for the main movie with "reasonable target file size accuracy" (say between 90 ... 100% of the specified file size). It would significantly reduce the overall encoding time.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 22:34   #99  |  Link
spida_singh

Any news on keeping Hi Def tracks under the custom file size option?
spida_singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 22:51   #100  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNYBOY View Post
No disrespect, but I could care less what the article says. I know what I hear in my home theater and yes I hear a difference.
Was just about to say the same thing

Any doubters, try listening to the TrueHD track on Akira and have another think about it.