Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th July 2009, 11:41   #1  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Announcing Zoom Player v7 release candidate 1

Hi Everyone,
It's been a long development cycle, most of which has been in private beta.
We're finally ready for public testing and we're very excited to present you with Zoom Player v7 release candidate 1.

Version 7 bring with it a lot of new features, bug fixes, optimizations, customizations and much much more.

Please report any bugs here.

Download Zoom Player Release Candidate 1

P.S.
The (non-default) navigation interfaces will be updated closer to the final release.

P.P.S.
The change list was too long to post in this thread (due to a forum post size limitation). To view the full change list,
click here.
Old 6th July 2009, 11:51   #2  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

very nice, thanks Blight!

BTW, any chance you could give feedback on my feature requests please?

http://forum.inmatrix.com/index.php?...ndpost&p=33083
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 11:56   #3  |  Link
clsid

The QuickTime ActiveX change sounds interesting. I assume you simply updated the QT API that you are using? Do you have any more info on this? Because it could be a useful update for MPC as well, which also has QT ActiveX support.
Old 7th July 2009, 10:18   #4  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

clsid:
QuickTime v7 has a new ActiveX control named "Apple QuickTime Control 2.0 (version 1.0)" as compared to the old version of "Apple QuickTime Control (Version 2.0)".

The version scheme is somewhat absurd, I know. The new control is more responsive, less prone to crashes, although some users reported odd errors at times, but that may be due to some people installing QTLite rather than the full QuickTime.

While we're sharing, can you explain the method MPC is using to locate and load BluRay main video? Are you using special filters to merge files? I would appreciate some understanding of the process.

leeperry:
1. The orientation of the buttons is related to the skin code, you would have to modify the skin yourself. Our in-house designer is flooded up to his gills with work at the moment.
2. Custom buttons are a design issue, however! You can modify the skin file and reassign a different function to it. So if there's a control bar function you're not using, you can assign a different function to it. If I were you, I would modify the always on close button as the dynamic buttons don't allow you to specify an extended function that could open the reclock dialog.
3. Just to be clear, do you mean a function such as "Auto-Adjust player height to maintain source video resolution"? If so, this feature will be in the next RC.
4. I'm not sure what you mean by Haali's OSD, I have never seen it and pressing Alt+O in ZP will turn ZP's OSD on/off.
5. Seamless playback is seriously problematic as ZP is very flexible and allows for different video renderers which can cause issues. We've tried this before and had stability issues, we may revisit this feature sometime in the future.

Last edited by Blight; 7th July 2009 at 11:39.
Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 11:15   #5  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

hi Blight, thanks for the reply.

1)ok cool, so it's possible! coz my left handed brain doesn't cope w/ the navigation buttons on the right end very well
2)so it's also possible? I'll look into it
3)if you look at my posts in this thread, I explained the problem a bit further : http://forum.inmatrix.com/index.php?...ndpost&p=33155
but the pictures are 404 now...I'll try again and post pics again if it's not clear...but it's a blocking issue to maintain the AR the way I want it(works fine in KMP or MPC).
4)yes, I think I had to set another hotkey for ZP's OSD, and then if you press "right ALT+O" you do get Haali's Renderer's OSD...but it's playing hide and seek if you go windows/FS. it's been confirmed on your forum.
5)KMPlayer does seamless playback wonderfully, it's a very useful feature(also w/ split .m2ts files in a bluray structure)

I'll try the new version
Old 7th July 2009, 11:38   #6  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

leeperry:
3. You probably saw the original edit, in the meanwhile, that feature got implemented.
4. Just tried it, doesn't happen to me, at least in vista with aero. There's not much we can do about haali's OSD, no idea how he displayed it and what affects it. If haali says something specific we do causes it, then we can address it, but otherwise, there's no specific haali code in ZP (ZP just uses the standard directshow video rendering interface with Haali).
5. I agree it's a useful feature, but it's not a simple feature to integrate into ZP due to the flexible nature of the player. Doesn't haali media splitter automatically merges .m2ts files? If so, it would work transparently in ZP.
Old 7th July 2009, 13:46   #7  |  Link
clsid

I am not familiar with the BluRay stuff in MPC. You should ask Casimir66 about that. Or have a look at the SVN log, I think the relevant code was added a few months ago.
Old 8th July 2009, 11:29   #8  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

clsid:
Can you point me (url) to the SVN log? I'll try contacting Casimir66 as well.
Old 8th July 2009, 12:15   #9  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Will Zoom Player one day integrate Subtitle renderer like the one use in some MPC renderers ? Because adding subtitle to video itself, it's not very readable.

Or maybe you can help this project: http://www.aegisub.net/2009/02/kumaji-explained.html

Zoom Player is a great player, but in my case, I can't use it just because of subtitles...
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 13:07   #10  |  Link
clsid

http://mpc-hc.svn.sourceforge.net/vi...c-hc/?view=log
Old 8th July 2009, 20:44   #11  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

pirlouy:
Something is confusing me, you can define the subtitle font, size, color, shadow, outline, etc... what exactly is the problem reading the subtitles? (I'm assuming you don't mean image based subtitles like the ones in DVD as these can't really be improved much as they are a series of images).

As for adding another engine, we've just added ffdshow as a subtitle renderer. Now that we have the infrastructure in place, in theory we could add other directshow based subtitle renderers, the question is... do you really need one. If the answer is yes, please include a screenshot so I can better understand what's wrong with the current renderers.

clsid:
Thanks!

Last edited by Blight; 8th July 2009 at 20:46.
Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 22:57   #12  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Here is Zoom Player with ffdshow displaying subtitles (it would be the same with DirectVobSub):

It is not really nice because there is blur.

Now, MPC-HC with subtitles coming from EVR custom renderer:

It is nice, no blur.

When subtitles are added to the video (ffdshow for example), and when the video is upscaled by renderer, subtitles are ugly.
But when renderer upscales image and then displays subtitles, it's really nice to read: no deformation because of upscaling.
Old 9th July 2009, 00:03   #13  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

yes, subs are blurry as hell in ffdshow...I already mentioned to Haruhiko that a sharpness slider would be most welcome, but he declined it.

@Blight : the HR OSD plays hide and seek on XP SP3 in ZP6 if you switch FS/windowed several times..good to know it's not the case on Vista.

Last edited by leeperry; 9th July 2009 at 00:30.
Old 9th July 2009, 21:32   #14  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

pirlouy:
If you use FFDShow's scaler and set it before the sub filter, it will get you the same result (but more CPU usage). ZP won't be replicating what MPC-HC does in this regard.

Did you try VSFilter, does it look any better? And if I were you, I would disable the subtitle shadow, it just makes thing look worse.

leeperry:
I don't even want to tell you what a bane is Windows window manager is, especially pre-vista, but even in vista there's a whole lot of logic missing (there's no way to sett a window's z-order, it's just not possible, you can only set to front/back/stay on top). I have no idea how Haali is implementing his OSD, if it's just a standard window overlay, it's possible that having the ZP window as stay on top would break it.
Old 9th July 2009, 23:08   #15  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blight View Post
pirlouy:
If you use FFDShow's scaler and set it before the sub filter, it will get you the same result (but more CPU usage).
I know, but I'm not interested in ffdshow scaler. I prefer to let renderer do that job. MadVR looks promising in this area.

Quote:
ZP won't be replicating what MPC-HC does in this regard.
Then I Hope Kumaji will be a good substitution (it looks like it will need time)...

Quote:
Did you try VSFilter, does it look any better? And if I were you, I would disable the subtitle shadow, it just makes thing look worse.
VSFilter does the same thing as ffdshow: put subtitle on original video, so when image is scaled, it's not nice to read.
Shadow and Outline does not change quality I think.

Of course, you can think it's not very boring, and this is me who is boring, but when you watch a lot of SD videos, you see the difference between subtitles quality.

Otherwise, I didn't see any problem in this RC. ;-)
Old 14th July 2009, 19:13   #16  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

pirlouy:
We have a 42" 1080p Plasma here at the office, and subtitles look just fine.

Here's why shadow/outline affect the subtitles, as well as the difference between ffdshow sub render and vsfilter.
Shadow and outline can make the font look blurry as they use opacity effects on the edges (which blurs the edges).
VSFilter and FFDShow may not use the same font rendering code (I'm not 100% certain), which depending on the anti-alias setting can make the font look more or less blurry.

And yes, they can be sharper if rendered at output resolution, but it's heavier on the CPU and requires use of specific video rendering technologies which Zoom Player is trying to stay away from.
Old 16th September 2009, 21:14   #17  |  Link
philipms

Hi,
Which hardware remote can I use with ZoomPlayer?
thanks
Old 17th September 2009, 06:57   #18  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

Any remote which talks to Girder or Eventghost.
Mark_A_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
htpc, media player, zoom player