Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th April 2020, 02:33   #18461  |  Link
chainring

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker412 View Post
What's a good CQ setting for h265? I generally use 10MBps for 1080 content and feel that's a good compromise between file size and quality. I tried my first H265 file and set it at CQ 20 which resulted in a 4GB file for Infinity War. That seems REALLY low.
While it's not directly comparable, I did Infinity War at CQ16 10bit with HDR intact, resized to 2560x1066 and have AC-3 640K. It came out to 4.68GB. Looks fantastic and I'm astounded by the reduction in size.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2020, 18:23   #18462  |  Link
stryker412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Looks like lsmash is having some problems with frame accurate seeking. I assume that this issue appears at new chunk. If you want this fixed please upload first 15 minutes of original(untouched!) video file. Use mkvtoolnix to split file and remove audio and subtitles. Next make sure that problem also is present in new sample. Then upload your sample somwhere and post link here.
Here you go.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1w2...JW0jj2uaMfIC2W
stryker412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2020, 14:08   #18463  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Can anyone tell me why this keeps happening? I ran it twice just to make sure it wasn't a one-off issue.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1c1...A81gj9BmdWnlCI
Quote:
Looks like simple remuxing in MKVtoolnix fixed this issue because I'm not getting that weird jumping frames at 11:15 mark in encoded file. There was definitely something wrong with your untouched mkv file.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 11th April 2020 at 14:14.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2020, 19:16   #18464  |  Link
stryker412

Odd, I ran it twice with Ripbot and had issues both times. I ran the same file through Handbrake without issues.
Old 11th April 2020, 20:16   #18465  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Odd, I ran it twice with Ripbot and had issues both times. I ran the same file through Handbrake without issues.
Run your test again but this time use that 15 min sample and check if you have that issue at 11:15 mark. To speed up encoding you can resize down to 720p resolution. I even tested your sample in my SeekTester tool and again zero errors.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 11th April 2020 at 20:20.
Old 12th April 2020, 13:37   #18466  |  Link
stryker412

I ran a 30 minute sample this time (in 4K again) and it didn't do it. I have no idea why it does it some times but not others.
Old 12th April 2020, 15:08   #18467  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
I ran a 30 minute sample this time (in 4K again) and it didn't do it. I have no idea why it does it some times but not others.
I can only advise you to remux your mkvs in MKVToolnix before encoding. This step will ensure that your video file is correctly muxed and should not created any problems for decoder (no seeking issues in l-smash).

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 12th April 2020 at 15:12.
Old 12th April 2020, 19:30   #18468  |  Link
stryker412

Quote:
I can only advise you to remux your mkvs in MKVToolnix before encoding. This step will ensure that your video file is correctly muxed and should not created any problems for decoder (no seeking issues in l-smash).
Ok thanks. My process for years has been to create an MKV directly off the disc using MakeMKV then re-encode (smaller file size) in Ripbot. This has worked flawlessly. However, this (Avengers) is my first real attempt at 4K HEVC. I never had the NAS space for 4K but now I do. I wanted to encode some of those now but this issue is the result. I'm running it again now just to see. It has another 5hrs left though.
Old 13th April 2020, 01:47   #18469  |  Link
stryker412

The process finished and this time it seems to be ok.
Old 13th April 2020, 04:34   #18470  |  Link
chainring

Quick bug report. Or, maybe not depending on if it's expected behavior.

File name of "Virtù e Fortuna" (Westworld S02, E03) caused RipBot to not pull in the audio. When I changed the filename to a "u" instead of one with the accent, all worked properly. The file had previously been remuxed with MKVToolnix just last week, FYI.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2020, 14:27   #18471  |  Link
SKPN

Is there a way for RB to resume a job where it left off? My power went out last night after chunk 137 out of 152. I know I can manually run the other chunks from the folder, but I use distributed encoding to split the jobs between two PCs, and doing it manually would not allow me to use the other PC unless I were to make changes to my network sharing settings, which I don't want to do.
SKPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2020, 14:39   #18472  |  Link
SKPN

Quote:
What's a good CQ setting for h265? I generally use 10MBps for 1080 content and feel that's a good compromise between file size and quality. I tried my first H265 file and set it at CQ 20 which resulted in a 4GB file for Infinity War. That seems REALLY low.
I use CQ18, default/medium speed for all of my movies, and they look identical to the originals (to my eyes) on my 55" 4K TV. My Infinity War file is 12.4GB, though that also includes the untouched surround audio. The video alone is 7.60GB.
SKPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2020, 14:46   #18473  |  Link
stryker412

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKPN View Post
I use CQ18, default/medium speed for all of my movies, and they look identical to the originals (to my eyes) on my 55" 4K TV. My Infinity War file is 12.4GB, though that also includes the untouched surround audio. The video alone is 7.60GB.
Ok mine came out to 17GB with the 5.1 audio track. I used CQ16.
Old 13th April 2020, 14:47   #18474  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Is there a way for RB to resume a job where it left off? My power went out last night after chunk 137 out of 152. I know I can manually run the other chunks from the folder, but I use distributed encoding to split the jobs between two PCs, and doing it manually would not allow me to use the other PC unless I were to make changes to my network sharing settings, which I don't want to do.
Normally progress (list of encoded chunks) should be saved automatically in file EncodingProgress.Pass1 in Chunks folder. After restart EncodingClient.exe loads that file and starts from last encoded chunk.
Old 15th April 2020, 16:19   #18475  |  Link
Ryushin

EncodingClient Crashes During Cropping

For the last few days, it seems that when doing automatic cropping in the AviSynth menu, the encoding client could crash. Seems to be doing it about 50% of the time. More so with 4K cropping, but it can do it with HD cropping as well. I've started to doing manual cropping to keep this from happening.

Anyone else seeing this or is it just me.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2020, 06:55   #18476  |  Link
GZZ

Is it possible to get some kind of fix for foreign letters in filenames, it makes some of the script fail. Ex. A movie that include the danish letter æøå will make it crash in one or more script. Lets say this file: "Adams Æbler_t00.mkv"

It runs this script: "E:\RipBot264v\Tools\mkvtoolnix\mkvextract.exe" chapters "E:\Bluray_mkv\Adams Æbler_t00.mkv" -s > "E:\Temp\RipBot264temp\job91\chapters.txt"

But the Chapters.txt file only contains: Error: (mkvextract) This file could not be opened or parsed.

So when the movie finish to encode and it want to mux the video/audio/sub/chapter it failes with this:

e:\RipBot264v>"E:\RipBot264v\tools\mkvtoolnix\mkvmerge.exe" -o "E:\Encoding\Adams Æbler_t00.mkv" --compression 0:none --title "Adams Æbler_t00.mkv" --default-duration 0:24000/1001fps "E:\Temp\RipBot264temp\job91\video.265" --chapters "E:\Temp\RipBot264temp\job91\chapters.txt"
mkvmerge v45.0.0 ('Heaven in Pennies') 64-bit
Error: Unknown chapter file format in 'E:\Temp\RipBot264temp\job91\chapters.txt'. It does not contain a supported chapter format.

So if one job failes, it makes other fails later in the process.

instead of working around foreign letters like æøå or all other language special letters that can make it fail. Then either reject the file quickly or rename foreign letters to only allow english alphabet in filenames, then it wont crash randomly. This goes for symbols aswell, like the special dash symbol that is still an issue.

Update:
Another workaround is to save the script (*.cmd) as UTF-8 files and add this line to the top of the script: chcp 65001

It will change the Commandline prompt to UTF-8 and if the script file is UTF-8 format, then it will handle æøå correctly. But I dont know if this has other issues, like if a program dosnt handle UTF-8 (old Ansi only program), then it might fail anyway.

Last edited by GZZ; 16th April 2020 at 07:04.
GZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2020, 12:52   #18477  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
For the last few days, it seems that when doing automatic cropping in the AviSynth menu, the encoding client could crash. Seems to be doing it about 50% of the time. More so with 4K cropping, but it can do it with HD cropping as well. I've started to doing manual cropping to keep this from happening.

Anyone else seeing this or is it just me.
You are probably running out of memory. Autocropping 4k source consumes on my machine extra ~15 GiB of RAM. (Jump from ~7 GiB to 22 GiB). That's my theory...

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 18th April 2020 at 12:57.
Old 19th April 2020, 01:44   #18478  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
You are probably running out of memory. Autocropping 4k source consumes on my machine extra ~15 GiB of RAM. (Jump from ~7 GiB to 22 GiB). That's my theory...
That's a pretty heavy duty theory and it's probably correct. I recently dropped my memory on my VM to 8GB from 16GB. Could also be why the cropping function has been taking a lot longer to complete. I'll up it again and see that happens.

Any thoughts on why cropping suddenly explodes the memory usage. For those without huge amounts of ram it could hurt them.
Old 19th April 2020, 09:20   #18479  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
That's a pretty heavy duty theory and it's probably correct. I recently dropped my memory on my VM to 8GB from 16GB. Could also be why the cropping function has been taking a lot longer to complete. I'll up it again and see that happens.

Any thoughts on why cropping suddenly explodes the memory usage. For those without huge amounts of ram it could hurt them.
Because you are working with 3840x2160 resolution. Typical 1080p should consume 4x less memory.
Old 19th April 2020, 11:05   #18480  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Because you are working with 3840x2160 resolution. Typical 1080p should consume 4x less memory.
Just wondering what is happening behind the scenes for cropping to take any kind of significant memory. I thought frames where extracted looking for dark vs lighter pixels. I would think each frame would be a few meg in size and once it's read in and analyzed, it would be discarded and then the next frame would be read in.

I'm actually curious know about what happens behind the scenes to detect the cropping. I know I've had films sometimes the cropping is horribly wrong (about 1% of the time I would think). Other times, the cropping actually detected that the film had different aspect ratios in the film such as Tron Legacy and sometimes it missed the changed aspect ratio all together like in Batman Dark Knight. How many frames are compared and at what time increments in the film are they taken from?

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360