Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 23rd May 2024, 08:23   #981  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo
 
LigH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Germany, rural Altmark
Posts: 6,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
PS: MP4Box can create an MP4 containing VVC video. But VLC with plugin does not decode the video in it.
That day (June 9, 2022) I created VLC issue 27055; today a developer got assigned.

PS: Reading the history of comments in it again makes me sigh deeply.
__________________

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid

Last edited by LigH; 23rd May 2024 at 08:27.
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2024, 20:58   #982  |  Link
kurkosdr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
That day (June 9, 2022) I created VLC issue 27055; today a developer got assigned.

PS: Reading the history of comments in it again makes me sigh deeply.
Generally, when it comes to VLC, you should assume a given bug is going to be fixed whenever or never. Those people have no process to rank bugs according to importance or popularity, so VLC is basically a hobby project with a professional-looking website. Hence the "send patches" response.

A characteristic example of this is how they still haven't implemented DVD-Video forced subtitles decades after DVD-Video support was added to VLC, which makes any DVDs that use forced subs to subtitle a foreign language/elvish/alienspeak unwatchable. The bug for this issue (#1135) is still open 17 years later.

I just moved to Kodi for my DVD-watching needs, and I suggest you do something similar: Find a player that can play VVC today or risk waiting for decades for VLC to add it.

Last edited by kurkosdr; 23rd May 2024 at 22:27.
kurkosdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2024, 12:27   #983  |  Link
birdie
Artem S. Tashkinov
 
birdie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 350
VVdec has added support for the "film grain synthesis" attribute: https://github.com/fraunhoferhhi/vvdec/pull/178

Quote:
Add film grain synthesis (based on VFGS). When an FGC SEI message is found in the bitstream, it is decoded and used to synthesize grain on top of the regular decoded picture. No specific commandline options are added, everything is automatic and hardwired = currently there is no way to disable FG synthesis if an FGC SEI message is received.
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2024, 05:08   #984  |  Link
birdie
Artem S. Tashkinov
 
birdie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 350
Just announced Intel Lunar Lake / Xe2-LPG has been confirmed to support hardware VVC decoding. Finally.
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2024, 06:26   #985  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder
 
FranceBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea, UK
Posts: 2,951
I really hope an option is introduced to prevent reintroducing the already removed grain. It would make everyone happy: those who like grain can leave it on and those who prefer cleaner pictures like me just need to disable it, while both of us get the compression efficiency by coding a smoother picture.

As for hardware decoding, that's very good to know from Intel. Feels like we're slowly getting to the point in which H.266 is actually getting usable.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2024, 07:58   #986  |  Link
Jamaika
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 728
"Also disclosed was the Intel NPU 4, which Intel claims delivers up to 48 TOPS, surpassing Microsoft's Copilot+ requirements for the new age of AI PCs."
What does new age of AI PCs mean?

"The main change affecting this is the addition of an additional 8 MB side cache, which allows for reduced traffic in the system memory for multimedia-based tasks."
Is this extra memory on the motherboard?

"Intel Lunar Lake has been even further rebuilt in terms of the Media Engine and Display Engine, which is probably the most extensive system in this matter among laptops.
In addition, there is support for HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 2.1 (we are talking about full support, i.e. UHBR10, UHBR13.5 and UHBR20, but the type of DP 2.1 supported in a given laptop will depend on the specific OEM) and eDisplayPort 1.5."

Are these power-saving processors just for laptop?
Jamaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2024, 09:34   #987  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder
 
FranceBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea, UK
Posts: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaika View Post
What does new age of AI PCs mean?
That's just a term made up by Microsoft to justify shipping Copilot in as many things they could.
Essentially, the era of "AI PC" started with ARM in which you had the normal parts of the CPU doing normal computations and then dedicated accelerators (you can think about them as part of the CPU) to perform AI-related tasks. This, in Microsoft's view, would offload some of the calculations from their datacenter GPUs to the dedicated co-processor unit inside the CPU in the consumer device for the most basic stuff. They set a target and both AMD and Intel did something to reach that so that they could be part of this "AI PC" or "Copilot+" marketing nonsense.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2024, 11:12   #988  |  Link
MoSal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaika View Post
What does new age of AI PCs mean?
PCs that do mostly-useless low-precision bad math fast in the name of intelligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaika View Post
" In addition, there is support for HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 2.1 (we are talking about full support, i.e. UHBR10, UHBR13.5 and UHBR20, but the type of DP 2.1 supported in a given laptop will depend on the specific OEM) and eDisplayPort 1.5."
It's not full support if Intel can't partner with others to pressure the HDMI forum to allow support for 2.1 on Linux, and threaten a future boycott if they don't budge (AMD tried alone and failed). Otherwise, "full support" and "no support" are equivalent for us, an admittedly small but significant percentage of users. Directing the cost incurred towards something else would actually be more beneficiary to us. This also applies to dedicated GPUs, which Intel also sells nowadays.
__________________
https://github.com/MoSal
MoSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2024, 11:43   #989  |  Link
Jamaika
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 728
Thanks for your replies.
It will be more profitable to buy AMD or Intel. What amounts are we talking about?
As I understand it, AVX512 will replace AVX10. What economical power supply is needed for this? I understand that we will not buy 800W. How to configure it yourself?
Jamaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2024, 14:50   #990  |  Link
kurkosdr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSal View Post
It's not full support if Intel can't partner with others to pressure the HDMI forum to allow support for 2.1 on Linux, and threaten a future boycott if they don't budge (AMD tried alone and failed).
HDMI is a front for Hollywood studios to make arbitrary demands to the consumer electronics industry (enabled by the DMCA's "anti-circumvention provisions"). If you don't obey, no HD or 4K HDR Hollywood content for you.

So, with that in mind, it's a case of the HDMI Forum boycotting anyone who doesn't comply with their demands, not the other way around.

Last edited by kurkosdr; 4th June 2024 at 14:52.
kurkosdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2024, 05:40   #991  |  Link
MoSal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurkosdr View Post
HDMI is a front for Hollywood studios to make arbitrary demands to the consumer electronics industry (enabled by the DMCA's "anti-circumvention provisions"). If you don't obey, no HD or 4K HDR Hollywood content for you.

So, with that in mind, it's a case of the HDMI Forum boycotting anyone who doesn't comply with their demands, not the other way around.
Boycotts/Threats is how we got a single high-capacity compact disc standard (DVD):
https://web.archive.org/web/19981202...pr.rel.cd.html

And if boycotts/threats don't work, hardware vendors/manufacturers could rally around and push for an alternative new standard if they wanted to. We have historical examples of same-gen but later-appearing standard B ending up killing standard A due to vendors not wanting to deal with A.

Hardware vendors/manufactures simply don't consider the current situation a deal breaker for them to want to take such steps.
__________________
https://github.com/MoSal
MoSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2024, 18:43   #992  |  Link
birdie
Artem S. Tashkinov
 
birdie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 350
I've found a treasure trove of sample VVC clips for testing:

https://dvb.org/specifications/verif...-test-content/

They need some name and email, you can type anything.
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2024, 20:42   #993  |  Link
benwaggoner
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
I really hope an option is introduced to prevent reintroducing the already removed grain. It would make everyone happy: those who like grain can leave it on and those who prefer cleaner pictures like me just need to disable it, while both of us get the compression efficiency by coding a smoother picture.
I've looked at some degrained-for-FGS content with FGS turned off, and it can look pretty weird and unpleasant. The signal-noise ratio is quite low for a lot of grainy content, particularly 16mm and Super35. The degrained versions can kind of look soft and textureless, like a mediocre upscale.

The results aren't as good as a real high-quality noise reduction that mutes the excess grain, but leaves enough texture to keep things from looking abnormally flat.

Quote:
As for hardware decoding, that's very good to know from Intel. Feels like we're slowly getting to the point in which H.266 is actually getting usable.
Wonderful news indeed!
__________________
Ben Waggoner
Principal Video Specialist, Amazon Prime Video

My Compression Book
benwaggoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2024, 01:50   #994  |  Link
Yups
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 364
Hardware decoding in action:

https://youtu.be/-2yxPal4wQI?t=1951

Last edited by Yups; 7th June 2024 at 10:18.
Yups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2024, 15:13   #995  |  Link
kurkosdr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSal View Post
Boycotts/Threats is how we got a single high-capacity compact disc standard (DVD):
https://web.archive.org/web/19981202...pr.rel.cd.html

And if boycotts/threats don't work, hardware vendors/manufacturers could rally around and push for an alternative new standard if they wanted to. We have historical examples of same-gen but later-appearing standard B ending up killing standard A due to vendors not wanting to deal with A.

Hardware vendors/manufactures simply don't consider the current situation a deal breaker for them to want to take such steps.
You mean like how Hollywood studios picked the winner of the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray format war by deciding one day to only throw content at one format (Blu-Ray) while letting the other rot (HD-DVD)? This happened shortly after BD+ gave studios the hope of unbreakable DRM. Whatever studio support HD-DVD had dried up right there and then.

Or how Hollywood studios cut out MacOS X from Blu-Ray and HD-DVD support because MacOS X didn't provide the DRM infrastructure Hollywood studios demanded for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD?

It doesn't matter what happened in the distant past, today pre-recorded content is king and DRM is legally empowered by the DMCA. Hollywood studios can cut out from their encrypted content whatever OS and hardware combination doesn't comply with their arbitrary demands. I mean, what can AMD and Intel do? "Boycott" HDMI 2.1 and come out and say "Nvidia GPUs as well as every $400 console out there support HDMI 2.1 but our flagship GPUs don't, please buy our flagship GPUs"? If they do that, they might get that 2% of users running Desktop Linux but will lose the much bigger market of Windows users who want their new GPU to support HDMI 2.1.

The weird thing in this case is that HDMI 2.1 is required only if you want 4K@120fps, and Hollywood doesn't serve any 4K@120fps content, but they can still mandate all kinds of DRM requirements by acting as gatekeepers to the HDMI spec. DisplayPort is technically a thing but isn't a thing on TVs (due to lack of eARC support), so you want at least one HDMI 2.1 port if you want to output 4K@120fps to a TV (which means GPU vendors can't boycott HDMI 2.1). And then there is the open question of whether encrypted 8K content will be allowed on DisplayPort or be HDMI 2.1-only.

Last edited by kurkosdr; 7th June 2024 at 16:11.
kurkosdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2024, 18:14   #996  |  Link
ksec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yups View Post
Hardware decoding in action:

https://youtu.be/-2yxPal4wQI?t=1951
Great, excluding CPU and GPU that is probably around 2W decoding 4K. Good for Desktop, Good Enough for Laptop. not quite Smartphone ready yet. But hopefully next year for Qualcomm Mediatek and Apple.

Now we need encoders.
__________________
Previously iwod
ksec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2024, 19:19   #997  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder
 
FranceBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea, UK
Posts: 2,951
Hold on a second, I thought that the whole thing about HDMI 2.1 not being allowed on Linux was only because AMD tried to make the support part of its open source driver.
I might be wrong here, but I remember reading people suggesting AMD to ship a binary blob instead so that it would have been accepted.
Did I get it wrong?
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2024, 23:28   #998  |  Link
Yups
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post
Great, excluding CPU and GPU that is probably around 2W decoding 4K. Good for Desktop, Good Enough for Laptop. not quite Smartphone ready yet. But hopefully next year for Qualcomm Mediatek and Apple.

Now we need encoders.

Maybe less because the RAM is included in the package power on Lunar Lake. Encoding hopefully on Xe3.
Yups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2024, 16:23   #999  |  Link
ksec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yups View Post
Maybe less because the RAM is included in the package power on Lunar Lake. Encoding hopefully on Xe3.
I would expect at least 1W during active use. That puts decoding into 1W category. Sub 1W when deciding 1080P / 2K content. Pretty impressive. That doesn't take into account the bitrate it was decoding. Sounds like good enough for me!

Bring me x266!
__________________
Previously iwod
ksec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2024, 14:18   #1000  |  Link
oibaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 67
Dolby Laboratories to acquire GE Licensing in $429m deal

Quote:
Technology company Dolby Laboratories has announced a definitive agreement to acquire GE Licensing from GE Aerospace in an all-cash deal valued at $429m.
Quote:
The inclusion of GE Licencing’s video codec technology patents such as HEVC and VVC will complement and expand Dolby's existing intellectual property portfolio.
oibaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.