Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Closed Thread

Old 30th November 2003, 08:23   #421  |  Link
BoNz1

athos, I heard milan got h.264 decoding in ffdshow. Would it be possible for you make a new build of ffdshow? I would do it myself but directx9sdk hates me
Old 30th November 2003, 14:50   #422  |  Link
athos

Quote:
Originally posted by BoNz1
athos, I heard milan got h.264 decoding in ffdshow. Would it be possible for you make a new build of ffdshow? I would do it myself but directx9sdk hates me
I checked this out from cvs 20031128, latest update to cvs was 20031017. i will make a new build if you tell me how to get h-264 support.
Old 30th November 2003, 20:35   #423  |  Link
BoNz1

Ok, it looks like he hasn't updated the cvs yet so sorry I guess I jumped the gun a little but he did say that it is working so it should be in there soon I would think .
Old 1st December 2003, 10:35   #424  |  Link
arno

Picture Properties: Using gamma correction causes crash

It seems that since release 20030927, using the gamma-correction of "Picture Properties" causes an immediate crash of ffdshow (or at least the player its using). I think it has something to do with the optimization code used for it which is not compatible with my CPU. I have a Pentium III-500MHz. Athos, could you please have a look at it?

Last edited by arno; 1st December 2003 at 10:37.
Old 1st December 2003, 12:43   #425  |  Link
athos

I tried with the latest build, and gamma correction works just fine here (have P4). Did you try with the same build? For the build before i used Intels compiler, with which I have had some problems with crashing before (maybe I used some unstable flags or something).
Old 1st December 2003, 13:19   #426  |  Link
arno

??

Quote:
Originally posted by athos
I tried with the latest build, and gamma correction works just fine here (have P4). Did you try with the same build? For the build before i used Intels compiler, with which I have had some problems with crashing before (maybe I used some unstable flags or something).
What do you mean by "same build"? To be clear this is what happens
- I tried builds 20030927, 20031028, 20031128 which all don't work with gamma correction enabled on my my P3.
- previous builds ( <= 20030816) seem to work fine however.

p.s. : I reported it before. But are you aware of the fact that Nic's postprocessing is still broken (and now has been since the release of 20030523 ? I've tested this bug on several machines (PIII, K6 & Duron) and all cause an immediate crash of the player.
Old 1st December 2003, 15:24   #427  |  Link
athos

ok, i thought it might have been a problem with the last build. nics pp works for me (doesnt crash, although i have a hard time seeing any difference to no pp, is this what you mean? that it doesnt do anything?). this must be a problem with the code, and not my compile, since all flags are targeted towards Pentium or better architecture, and thus P3 should be no problem.

perhaps we shouldnt draw to many conclusions though, as milan has asked me not to put up any official builds since 200305 for the reason that he doesnt feel it is in a stable state.
Old 1st December 2003, 15:47   #428  |  Link
arno

It just crashes...

Quote:
Originally posted by athos
ok, i thought it might have been a problem with the last build. nics pp works for me (doesnt crash, although i have a hard time seeing any difference to no pp, is this what you mean? that it doesnt do anything?). this must be a problem with the code, and not my compile, since all flags are targeted towards Pentium or better architecture, and thus P3 should be no problem.

perhaps we shouldnt draw to many conclusions though, as milan has asked me not to put up any official builds since 200305 for the reason that he doesnt feel it is in a stable state.
With Nic's PostProcessing enabled it crashes ("This program performed an illegal operation ....") the player (tried with several players). Tested on both Pentium III-500MHz & AMD Duron 1.2GHz.
Old 3rd December 2003, 13:49   #429  |  Link
sysKin

xvid-packed bitstream

Hi everyone,

I have problems decoding xvid dev-api-4 with "packed bitstream" option, when there is more than one b-frame in the row.

In theory, ffdshow decodes all frames and puts them in correct order. In practice, they are not shown with constant framerate. I can't really tell which frame is shown for a fraction of the time and which gets shown longer (too fast) but if I use direcshowsource() in avisynth, AVS is able to fix the jerkyness by just showing one frame every 40ms...

I confirmed that all frames are decoded, by opening directshowsource() avs in virtualdubmod.

I tried 20030523 and Athos' 20031028 and got more or less the same result (more or less: the unnoficial new build was always jerky here, but it's much worse with packed bitstream).

I hope one of you can take a look, because XviD 1.0beta can create perfect packed bitstream videos and I'd like to use this option

Regards,
Radek
Old 3rd December 2003, 19:47   #430  |  Link
raistlin2k

I have found a strange decoding bug in FFDShow:

I encoded a chapter of LOTR - The Two Towers using DivX 5.0.5 & XVID 1.0 beta to compare the quality. therefore I used FFDShow as Decoder to have the quality not being different because of different decoders.

Using FFDSHow 2003-05-23 I found a decoding error in the DivX movie. It must be a decoding of FFDShow because using DivX decoder the error is gone.

So I upgraded to FFDShow 2003-11-28. Voila, the error is gone in the DivX encoded avi, BUT IT APPEARS NOW IN THE XVID ENCODED, the same error at the same situation.

Strange!!

Well, I thought, no problem, let's enable XVID as decoder inside FFDSHow, but it seems that the aloha decoder cannot be used inside of FFDshow, it only works by disabling FFDshow completely, but then I have only XVID decoder without any post-processing.

I also tried DivX Decoder for decoding XVID & it works 100%, without any decoding errors, but the DivX Post-processing takes twice CPU-power.

I really hope that FFDShow will be fixed, so I can use it for all my DivX AND my Xvid encoded movies again.

Thanks
Raist

Old 4th December 2003, 05:31   #431  |  Link
Danzel

@raistlin2k

Do you want to tell us what the decoding error is that you saw/got when using ffdshow?
If its a graphical error then perhaps you could try the xvid / simple idct (which ever one isnt selected).

Danzel.
Old 4th December 2003, 11:14   #432  |  Link
raistlin2k

@Danzel

It's a graphical error, appearing in a zoom-out in chapter 30 of the LOTR -The two towers- DVD.

as already mentioned ,Selecting XVID IDCT in FFDSHow 28/11/2003 doesn't work, the player crashes. In FFDSHow 3/1/2003 the "Use XVID" is even greyed out, although XVID is installed properly, playback using only XVID (wthout ffdshow) works.

Perhaps the XVID decoder has changed in 1.0 beta so it doesn't work anymore inside ffdshow?

Raist

Old 6th December 2003, 13:51   #433  |  Link
Vern Dias

More info on the broken gamma in the picture properties on several of the latest builds:

It is only broken when the Luninance Offset is not set to "0". In other words, you can't use both luminance offset and gamma at the same time.

Leaving either one set to default allows the other to be used.

Vern Dias
Old 8th December 2003, 13:01   #434  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Bug found at resize feature!

Seems like FFDShow does'nt keep original aspect ratio!
When I use 20030523 bild it work's fine!
I have 720*304 video
I set resize to 800*600 (my VideoCard does'nt work properly when width not mod 32)
Under 20030523 i got nice LETTERBOXED (black zones ot top and bottom) image with width scaled to 800 and video height is scaled proportionaly original aspect ratio (no aspect ratio changed)

Under last athos bild i got scaled to 800*600 image with aspect ratio changed to 4:3 (no letterboxing)

sorry for my poor english
Old 9th December 2003, 21:14   #435  |  Link
arno

Re: It just crashes...

Quote:
Originally posted by arno
With Nic's PostProcessing enabled it crashes ("This program performed an illegal operation ....") the player (tried with several players). Tested on both Pentium III-500MHz & AMD Duron 1.2GHz.
Dear Athos,

I did some additional testing: Completely removed ffdshow, removed registry keys, clean install of November 2003 build of ffdshow & only enabled postprocessing & checked Nic's. This is what happens with various settings:
- It works (no crash) when I (via "Custom) enable ALL postprocess settings except "Chroma Dering".

- The odd thing is when I use automatic quality control, it only does NOT crash when the slider is in the minimum setting (0, no postprocessing), it doesn't crash. The previous finding would suggest that it should work up to slider setting 6 (which doesn't enable chroma dering, which is enabled only with setting 7).

- It also works when I initially configure ffdshow to use mplayer postprocessing (or no postproc), and during movie play change it (back) to Nic's.

- It doesn't happen with *every* DivX movies. About 50% of my movies seems to suffer from this issue. The other part just runs fine. Although I'm unable to find out what the working/non-working movies have in common.

I'm puzzled, but I hope you can (finally) figure out what causes this problem and fix it.

Last edited by arno; 9th December 2003 at 22:01.
Old 10th December 2003, 11:26   #436  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Re: Re: It just crashes...

Quote:

- It doesn't happen with *every* DivX movies. About 50% of my movies seems to suffer from this issue. The other part just runs fine. Although I'm unable to find out what the working/non-working movies have in common.
Seems like DivX 5.0.5 with B-frames and GMC
Old 10th December 2003, 11:47   #437  |  Link
arno

Re: Re: Re: It just crashes...

Quote:
Originally posted by dimzon
Seems like DivX 5.0.5 with B-frames and GMC
Nope. Seems mostly DivX3.11 movies that cause the problem. And maybe even *exclusivly* DivX3.11 (no probs with DivX5 & XviD), although I'm not sure (yet).

Last edited by arno; 10th December 2003 at 11:55.
Old 10th December 2003, 12:15   #438  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Re: Re: Re: Re: It just crashes...

Quote:
Nope. Seems mostly DivX3.11 movies that cause the problem. And maybe even *exclusivly* DivX3.11 (no probs with DivX5 & XviD), although I'm not sure (yet).
Hmm. In my case it will never crush on DivX3.11
Maybe becoze I use not last ffdshow build (i use 200305xx)
I have huge DivX collection at home and I can test it more carefully at weekend.

I will try to do that,if I will find problem AVI and I will send the part of AVI and ffdshow settings to test issue...

sorry for my poor english, i'm russian...
Old 10th December 2003, 12:46   #439  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
Originally posted by dimzon
Bug found at resize feature!

Seems like FFDShow does'nt keep original aspect ratio!
http://dimzon541.narod.ru/resize-bug.zip - screenshots (only 80K)
Old 14th December 2003, 11:19   #440  |  Link
dapipa
astroNUT

buggy resizing:-(

hi!i've noticed that resizing bug a long time ago:ffdshow20030523 is the last build which keeps correct aspect ratio when resizing,at least on my computer:-(interesting is,when i set the aspect ratio manually to the value shown left of(i think)KEEP ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO radio button,resizing works correctly...p.s.well,i'm not the only one:it isn't working on dimzon's computer too,but i didn't noticed his post before:-)

Last edited by dapipa; 28th January 2004 at 11:54.
Closed Thread