Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 4th September 2008, 16:46   #1  |  Link
SamNZDat

Playback Speed Problem, or Something Else?

I'm running Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 on a 32-bit Athlon and an A7N8XE mobo. My sound software is ALSA and the sound card ID follows:
00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce Audio Processing Unit (rev a2)
00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97 Audio Controler (MCP) (rev a1)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. nForce2 AC97 Audio Controler (MCP)

Can anyone help me with the following Internet Archive audio show: Brahms - Tragic Overture in D Minor, Op. 81

The original FLAC file has a sample rate of 48 KHz, which file I will temporarily keep in the show till I resolve the problem: the playback speed is too fast.

As you can see, the solution I have applied is to resample the performance at 44.1 KHz.

First of all, is my diagnosis of too-fast playback correct, or is there something wrong with my hardware and/or software?

Secondly, if resampling is not the solution, what is?
SamNZDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 17:50   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!

1) What was the ORIGINAL source material from which you created the FLAC audio file, a CD, DVD, DVD-A, something else?

2) What software and procedures did you use to create the FLAC audio file?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 18:15   #3  |  Link
SamNZDat

Original Source Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
Hi!

1) What was the ORIGINAL source material from which you created the FLAC audio file, a CD, DVD, DVD-A, something else?

2) What software and procedures did you use to create the FLAC audio file?
Howdy s_o,

I did not create the original FLAC file and do not know more about the source than tags tell me, but you can have a look at a copy (FTP-downloaded) of the file, labeled "Sample Rate 48 KHz (test file only)" at the following Internet Archive page: Tragic Overture in D Minor, Opus 81 (May 23, 2006)

In other words, there is the original file for your listening and testing, along with the 44.1 KHz Audacity resamplings (one in FLAC, the other in ogg-FLAC) I uploaded.

Last edited by SamNZDat; 4th September 2008 at 18:24.
Old 4th September 2008, 19:03   #4  |  Link
setarip_old

Am I correct in understanding that the files at that link were ALL uploaded there by you, but you downloaded the file from some other site?

Last edited by setarip_old; 4th September 2008 at 19:06.
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 19:17   #5  |  Link
SamNZDat

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
Am I correct in understanding that the files at that link were ALL uploaded there by you, but you downloaded the file from some other site?
Affirmative.

Tags
playback, samplerate, speed