Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 30th January 2024, 11:58   #421  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
Tay was a chatbot that was shutdown after only 16 hours since it began to post inflammatory and offensive tweets through its Twitter account
Any bot trained on unsupervised user input will eventually end up writing inflammatory sentences, 'cause you know, the internet is a wonderful place. xD
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2024, 21:20   #422  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Ever since I finally learned how to get Win10 and Win11 to look more like Win9x, and then Firefox pulled the plug on Win7 support, I've been wondering more and more about what I'll do in the future regarding operating systems. Linux will always be in the picture, but some problems still require Windows in ways that WINE can't fix. Would I run Windows exclusively in virtual machines? Would I eventually cave in and allow Win10/11 to run on bare metal, now that I had gotten them to look decent?

Reading these horror stories has re-convinced me to never daily drive Win10/11.
Old 4th February 2024, 12:37   #423  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

You can dual boot (I do, on 8 desktops and 1 laptop), I choose Cinnamon Mint as a very familiar Windows like option. [Ubuntu based]
Install windows first (or make disk room on existing Windows drive), and then install mint on remainder.
(Will cause Linux Grub as boot control, to optionally boot Mint or Windows)

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2024, 14:41   #424  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

I think most of us ended up having Linux as a daily driver for stuff like browsing, chatting etc and Windows either as a VM or (often) as dual boot to do video processing stuff.
It's sad but it's just the way it is.
The major problems I see on doing video stuff on Linux are:

- Lack of filters (only the Avisynth core runs and like 10-15 filters one of with is, thanks god, ffms2 so that we at least have an indexer)
- Lack of IDE (it can get difficult to code without AVSPmod mod after being so used to it unless you're creating a very simple script)
- Lack of proper GPU support (the proprietary NVIDIA drivers - the only ones with CUDA and NVEnc - constantly break and the open source Nouveau ones have the reclocking problem so it's a no go)
- Lack of BT2020, HLG, PQ and any proper color management in Wayland

Once those are solved, then we're gonna be in a good place, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
On that topic, this only takes into account the fact that you're gonna use Avisynth, x262/x264/x265, MP4Box / TSMuxer / MKVToolnix and other open source stuff available 'cause if you're into editing then it's a big fat no.
No Adobe Premiere, no AVID Media Composer, no AVID Protools...
The closest thing we got is Davinci Resolve (which is a pain to make it work and it only really works if you're using the proprietary NVIDIA drivers) and Reaper (which is the best ProTools substitute we have thus far).
Old 4th February 2024, 23:21   #425  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Oops, Cinnamon Mint only for x64 (latest ver$), older ver$ only for x86.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
Old 5th February 2024, 08:48   #426  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Cinnamon Mint
I'm on Fedora which is the upstream version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Basically it's:

Rawhide -> Fedora -> CentOS -> RHEL

where each "arrow" adds 6 months of testing, so by the time it reaches RHEL the packages have been tested for 18 months and all the bug fixes have been deployed, making it rock solid.
Unfortunately, as we all know, RHEL is a paid only thing which means that you gotta pay the license every year to Red Hat and it's definitely costly so not something a home user can afford, realistically. It's not a problem for companies running critical server infrastructure or workstations, but still...
This means that the poor home users are left with either Rawhide (for development) or Fedora (what Torvalds and Stallman themselves use) or CentOS thus being able to use all the features and the whole OS for free but being confined to being beta testers for life...
On the other hand, I can't complain 'cause Red Hat has to make a living somehow and I understand that, but ideally the workstation edition (non server) should be affordable for private users too...

For reference:

RHEL server costs $349
RHEL workstation costs $179

every year...
What happens if you don't pay the license?
Well, you can still install RHEL but you can't install nor update any packages, so you can test that it works on your hardware but other than that it's pretty much useless...

Last edited by FranceBB; 5th February 2024 at 08:53.
Old 5th February 2024, 14:59   #427  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

(I believe), Cinnamon Mint is about 6 months behind Ubuntu, Ubuntu does all of the more risky development stuff, Mint follows when all considered (a little more) 'rock solid'.
I like the Windows-like [Win7-ish, with Classic-Shell] Cinnamon GUI, Fedora with Cinnamon GUI does not feel quite so good as some apps dont use it, so you are sort of 'half-and-half'.

Cinnamon:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnam...op_environment)

Cinnamon Mint 21.3 "Virginia":- https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Fedora Cinnamon Spin:- https://fedoraproject.org/spins/cinnamon/

EDIT: There is also LMDE distro, Linux Mint Debian Edition, also still available for x86, is Debian based (Ubuntu is based upon Debian),
purpose of LMDE is a sort of fallback, if Ubuntu were ever to disappear, the Cinnamon Mint project would not be left with nowhere to go.
LMDE:- https://linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, CentOS is discontinued [at least officially discontinued EDIT: see next post],
Quote:
CentOS (/ˈsɛntɒs/, from Community Enterprise Operating System; also known as CentOS Linux)[5][6] is a discontinued Linux distribution that provided a free and open-source community-supported computing platform, functionally compatible with its upstream source, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).[7][8] In January 2014, CentOS announced the official joining with Red Hat while staying independent from RHEL,[9] under a new CentOS governing board.[10][11]
CentOS-Wikipedia:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CentOS

CentOS-distrowatch:- https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=centos

DistroWatch:- https://distrowatch.com/

EDIT: One of my pet hates of Linux, is the plethora of GUI's available for them, you can spend the rest of your life trying them all out to see which you like best.
Cinnamon Mint has one GUI (wndows manager), so that problem aint a problem.
EDIT: There are though a lot of Themes, even a Windows 10 or Windows XP theme.

Last edited by StainlessS; 5th February 2024 at 15:36.
Old 5th February 2024, 15:29   #428  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
According to Wikipedia, CentOS is discontinued [at least officially discontinued]
Nah, it just changed name to CentOS Stream but it's still CentOS, it just moved upstream after Fedora in terms of packages. I'm not quite sure why Wikipedia opened a separate page rather than updating the old one...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CentOS_Stream
Old 5th February 2024, 15:35   #429  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Thanks, I thought that the Wikipedia thingy was not quite correct, was not aware of name change.

Old 6th February 2024, 11:46   #430  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Google will no longer back up the Internet: Cached webpages are dead

Google will no longer be keeping a backup of the entire Internet. Google Search's "cached" links have long been an alternative way to load a website that was down or had changed, but now the company is killing them off. Google "Search Liaison" Danny Sullivan confirmed the feature removal in an X post, saying the feature "was meant for helping people access pages when way back, you often couldn't depend on a page loading. These days, things have greatly improved. So, it was decided to retire it."
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024...ched-webpages/

Quote:
Windows 10 users report broken apps on old computers
A 31-page long thread on Microsoft's official forums shows that some Windows 10 users are not having a good time using their computers. Plenty of customers say they cannot launch applications on different hardware, citing "File System Error (-2147219196)."

It all started with a user claiming they could not open a picture using the stock Photos app, with the latter showing the error mentioned above. Later on, other people chimed in, reporting the same problem with other inbox Windows apps, such as Calculator (how hard could it be to run Calculator), Movies and TV, Feedback Hub (this one is quite ironic), 3D Viewer, etc.

Microsoft usually takes a while to acknowledge a widespread bug or error (assuming this one is such a problem), so we have to wait for the company to say a word about the situation. Meanwhile, users decided to dig deeper into the issue and perform their own investigation.
https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-...old-computers/

Quote:
Microsoft again reminds Windows 10 users it’s time to get Windows 11 with renewed pop-ups

Windows 10 users started seeing full-screen pop-ups after installing a cumulative update release in May 2023. Now, the pop-up is back again on our Windows 10 PC after installing the optional update released in January 2024, and it gouges the eyes. No one expects a gigantic multi-slide advert using their PCs (web browsers are a different story).

It’s been more than two years since the release of Windows 11, but a huge chunk of users are still using Windows 10. Microsoft announced that Windows 10 will reach the end of support (EOS) on October 14, 2025, and slowly started urging users to shift to the latest version, i.e., Windows 11.

Despite offering a free upgrade, users prefer to stick to Windows 10, at least until the dreaded EOS date arrives. You can upgrade to Windows 11 or stick to Windows 10 by clicking the “Keep Windows 10” option.
https://www.windowslatest.com/2024/0...newed-pop-ups/

Quote:
Deepfake scammer walks off with $25 million in first-of-its-kind AI heist
Hong Kong firm tricked by simulation of multiple real people in video chat, including voices.

On Sunday, a report from the South China Morning Post revealed a significant financial loss suffered by a multinational company's Hong Kong office, amounting to HK$200 million (US$25.6 million), due to a sophisticated scam involving deepfake technology. The scam featured a digitally recreated version of the company's chief financial officer, along with other employees, who appeared in a video conference call instructing an employee to transfer funds.
https://arstechnica.com/information-...kind-ai-heist/

That gives me a few ideas for some free money

Last edited by StainlessS; 6th February 2024 at 11:57.
Old 6th February 2024, 13:23   #431  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Renewed scaremongering from Microsoft to push users toward 11, I see...
It's still unclear whether we're gonna see Windows 12 later this year, like after summer or not now that some important people leading the project left Microsoft.
The rumors are that there's gonna be a big 24H2 release for Windows 11 and that's gonna be it with the launch of 12 delayed by about a year.
I guess time will tell...
Old 6th February 2024, 15:33   #432  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Here not rumour (but exposed by accidental slipup),

Quote:
Microsoft document confirms Windows 11 24H2 update
Microsoft is already preparing the next big update for Windows 11 for the end of 2024, codenamed “Hudson Valley”, with a bigger focus on AI. In a new support document first spotted by Windows Latest, Microsoft has confirmed “Windows 11 24H2” is real and coming later this year.

The support document, first discovered by Windows Latest, may have unintentionally confirmed the arrival of Windows 11 24H2. The documentation talks about the EnumDeviceDrivers function, a component used by developers and systems administrators to work with drivers.

Microsoft’s website sheds light on the history of this function, mentioning how it has evolved since Windows 7. The most noteworthy update mentioned in the document is for Windows 11 Version 24H2. It states that Windows 11 24H2 changes how to get specific information from the EnumDeviceDrivers function.
https://www.windowslatest.com/2024/0...1-24h2-update/

Old 8th February 2024, 11:11   #433  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Quote:
You can dual boot
Yeah, I've been doing that for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
I'm on Fedora which is the upstream version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Basically it's:

Rawhide -> Fedora -> CentOS
Well... it's more like Fedora and CentOS/RHEL are sidestream of each other. Each version of CentOS/RHEL cobbles together some bits and pieces of like 4 different versions of Fedora. You can't say "version X of CentOS Stream is equivalent to/based on version Y of Fedora" in the same way you can say "Mint 21 is based on Ubuntu 22.04".

Quote:
I like the Windows-like [Win7-ish, with Classic-Shell] Cinnamon GUI...

EDIT: There are though a lot of Themes, even a Windows 10 or Windows XP theme.
Bruh, if there's a desktop environment that re-creates the Windows 9x-style Start Menu, and there's a Windows Classic or WinXP theme for that DE, and it's not fucking Trinity with its fucking bullshit Konqueror file manager... please tell me. I'm currently on XFCE just for the Chicago95 pack, but the Start menu isn't anything like Win9x.

Last edited by Katie Boundary; 8th February 2024 at 11:23.
Katie Boundary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2024, 14:12   #434  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Microsoft BitLocker encryption cracked in just 43 seconds with a $4 Raspberry Pi Pico
{The door is locked, but the key is under the mat}
https://www.techspot.com/news/101792...seconds-4.html

Quote:
Microsoft sneaks ads into the new Outlook for Windows
https://www.ghacks.net/2024/02/02/mi...k-for-windows/

EDIT:
I currently use on Cinnamon Mint Themes,
Mouse Pointer=Bibata-Modern-Classic
Application=HighContrastInverse [White text on Black background, I dont like light gray on dark grey. Non-standard Kali hack from internet. Avoid snow blindness hi-Contrast]
Icons=Mint-X-Red
Desktop=Eleganza-Dark

There are Themes-Desktop, Mint-XP and Windows10-Dark, aint seen any W9x type for some time.

EDIT: Looks a lot like this [ClickMe]

My FireFox [About:config hack] and FileManager Slider bars are super thick [Filemanager bars invisible in screen shot], I hate them 'modern' super skinny sliders that are a mite tricky to hit.

Last edited by StainlessS; 8th February 2024 at 15:24.
Old 28th February 2024, 15:43   #435  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Arrrh!!!,
In hotmail via FireFox, I keep getting "Your request can't be completed right now", "retry".
Had problem deleting emails, went back via Edge, and deletes all ok.
But, then return via FireFox and just looking at inbox get same daft message on empty inbox.
Maybe M$ deliberately f???ed up firefox access.

Old 1st March 2024, 12:21   #436  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Watch out guys.

Quote:
GitHub besieged by millions of malicious repositories in ongoing attack
GitHub keeps removing malware-laced repositories, but thousands remain.

GitHub is struggling to contain an ongoing attack that’s flooding the site with millions of code repositories. These repositories contain obfuscated malware that steals passwords and cryptocurrency from developer devices, researchers said.

The malicious repositories are clones of legitimate ones, making them hard to distinguish to the casual eye. An unknown party has automated a process that forks legitimate repositories, meaning the source code is copied so developers can use it in an independent project that builds on the original one. The result is millions of forks with names identical to the original one that add a payload that’s wrapped under seven layers of obfuscation. To make matters worse, some people, unaware of the malice of these imitators, are forking the forks, which adds to the flood.
https://arstechnica.com/security/202...ngoing-attack/

EDIT:
Quote:
Arrrh!!!,
In hotmail via FireFox, I keep getting "Your request can't be completed right now", "retry".
Had problem deleting emails, went back via Edge, and deletes all ok.
But, then return via FireFox and just looking at inbox get same daft message on empty inbox.
Maybe M$ deliberately f???ed up firefox access.
All AOK now.

Last edited by StainlessS; 1st March 2024 at 13:02.
Old 6th March 2024, 14:40   #437  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Microsoft is killing support for running Android apps on Windows 11
https://www.windowscentral.com/softw...-on-windows-11

Quote:
What you need to know

Microsoft has announced that it is deprecating the Windows Subsystem for Android on Windows 11.
This means support for installing and running Android apps is being removed from the OS.
The feature will be deprecated on March 5, 2025.
It was the only reason that I may have considered swap to W11.

Last edited by StainlessS; 6th March 2024 at 14:43.
Old 6th March 2024, 16:09   #438  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Meh, Microsoft did only one good thing with Windows 11: allowing it to run Android apps.
Removing it is a very bad step backwards.
Now that they have killed Windows Subsystem for Android, it means that they might kill Windows Subsystem for Linux as well someday in the future, which would be another step backwards.
Microsoft, Microsoft, what are you doing...?
Old 6th March 2024, 22:40   #439  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

FaBB,
Do you happen to know if ChromOS-Flex (for x64) installs to single partition,
or is it like Android with about 15 partition requirement.
[If single, then I might multi-boot it with W10/Linux_Mint, but not if its such a messy requirement]

Old 6th March 2024, 23:57   #440  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

ChromeOS is pretty much Linux based, so yeah, it creates and uses multiple partitions, if I remember correctly they're kernel, root, data and something else.
Chromebooks are great, though, and ever since my relatives use ChromeOS they stopped complaining.
Before that, I used to regularly remote in their Windows via Team Viewer or Anydesk and clean up the mess they built up by quite literally clicking "agree, next, next, install" on every single installation wizard.
The fact that it's synced with the Google account is an added bonus as they retain a similar experience as to what using Android feels like, so they soon become familiar with it.