Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st December 2023, 20:00   #64481  |  Link
Sunspark

Yes, just take the audio track from the VHS capture, and remux it into the 1080p one you have as another selectable audio track. What software you use to assemble the mkv will depend.. Handbrake is one you could consider using.
Sunspark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2023, 20:35   #64482  |  Link
Damien147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147 View Post
Amd driver crashes sometimes with 4K movie and needs system restart.Updated driver and even tried DDU but it happened again.Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147 View Post
D3D11 in LAV is very convenient for me to use.The crash happens only with 4k movies and sometimes,not always.If it happens it will happen at around half of the movie.It's not such a big problem but it would be nice to fix it.My PC is old and is on fire when I play a 4k movie.Maybe it crashes because it's ''overloaded'',I don't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Probably a faulty power supply, run some system tests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
Do a memory test too.
I run windows memory diagnostics for the memory test and for PSU I followed this by running it for 3 and a half hours.Both results were fine without any problem.Any more ideas?
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2023, 22:31   #64483  |  Link
Damien147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
Sticking to DXVA2(Copy-Back) in LAV was what made video stable for me with my older R9 AMD card.
Also tried this and full of dropped frames making movie unwatchable.Software decoding also gives me dropped frames because cpu is old.I am forced to use D3D11 and things there are going smooth except the sometimes crash with a 4k movie where I still don't know why it happens.I've also sent a report to AMD this time when it crashed.

Last edited by Damien147; 22nd December 2023 at 22:38.
Old 22nd December 2023, 22:47   #64484  |  Link
Schwartz

That's weird, you shouldn't get noticeably worse performance since you can use HW-decoding for both DXVA2 and D3D11. D3D11 also produced crashes for me, usually releated to long video pauses and resuming later - this was before MPC-HC introduced the feature to fully stop and re-start video after long pauses.
Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2023, 23:52   #64485  |  Link
Damien147

Dxva native plays just fine but as I read it's not recommended quality wise.Copy back yes,makes video unplayable.Maybe a driver problem?I don't remember having this problem in the past years with same settings.I am watching more 4k movies now though.
Old 24th December 2023, 01:21   #64486  |  Link
Damien147

Yep,crash again.Madvr gives ''getting display mode failed'' message as I see.Googled a bit about that and one guy used DDU to fix it and the other one updated his drivers.I've done both and no success.
Old 28th December 2023, 14:38   #64487  |  Link
Damien147

It seems like it was a driver problem and by installing an older adrenalin driver stopped the crashes.Thank you very much guys for trying to help.
Old 31st December 2023, 14:01   #64488  |  Link
Damien147

NGU AA med with 4K movie was too taxing on this old 4GB RX 470.It crashes with latest drivers while with older driver from 2022 it doesn't.I've got a 50 inch TV set at ~1.53 meters.If I set chroma to jinc is the quality loss noticeable in my occasion?
Old 31st December 2023, 16:56   #64489  |  Link
huhn

try super xbr.
polaris can't handle ngu.
and something is very wrong when your device crashes and that's not madVR.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2023, 17:22   #64490  |  Link
Damien147

NGU AA med for chroma and NGU sharp med for luma was what I was using for years with this polaris card.After updating to a most recent 2023 adrenalin driver crashes begun with this message:

"AMD crash Defender has detected an issue with your display driver. To prevent a system crash or hang, the display driver is now operating in safe mode with reduced functionality. It is recommended that you save all work and close any open applications. A system restart is required to restore your graphics hardware acceleration."

Before that I was stable for years and the only thing I changed was to update gpu driver.

Here is my usage with NGU AA med for chroma.It's a 16:9 4K remux.Do you see something worrying?

Last edited by Damien147; 31st December 2023 at 17:26.
Old 31st December 2023, 19:06   #64491  |  Link
ryrynz

So just do what the other guy did a few posts back and roll back your driver?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2023, 23:37   #64492  |  Link
Sunspark

@Damien147 Don't go crazy with chroma upscaling. It only needs to be "good enough" in terms of colour, saturation, etc. Luma is where you will primarily notice differences between the algos.

If your memory is fine, maybe it's your power supply? Voltage rail issue?
Old 1st January 2024, 08:44   #64493  |  Link
huhn

no https://slow.pics/c/zUsy6eUa
Old 1st January 2024, 13:03   #64494  |  Link
Damien147

Happy new year guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
So just do what the other guy did a few posts back and roll back your driver?
Yes,that's what I thought too and rolled back yesterday.The driver optimisation for this 2016 GPU finished years ago I suppose.It's not like I am missing something.I am gonna check again when another driver comes out to see what happens but I am not in a hurry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
@Damien147 Don't go crazy with chroma upscaling. It only needs to be "good enough" in terms of colour, saturation, etc. Luma is where you will primarily notice differences between the algos.

If your memory is fine, maybe it's your power supply? Voltage rail issue?
Yes,I've read in the past here guys mentioning that luma matters more than chroma but I didn't know exactly at what extend.I have my TV set for 40 degrees viewing angle.Is chroma observable in my case or not?I didn't know that.In normal viewing conditions I mean as I sit on my sofa and not by sticking your face to the screen to see a difference.

On an earlier post I said that I ran windows memory diagnostics for memory and for power supply I did this.Both results told me that things are working properly.I don't experience any other instability on my system beyond this crash that happens with newer adrenalin driver and 4k source.With newer driver if I lower chroma crash seems to stop but I try to avoid lowering settings if I don't have dropped frames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
This makes me wanna keep using NGU AA med for chroma even more.I can see the difference in this comparison from my couch as I normally sit to watch a movie.

Last edited by Damien147; 1st January 2024 at 20:37.
Old 2nd January 2024, 03:34   #64495  |  Link
huhn

NGU AA places the chroma slightly wrong and is slow just use super xbr.

even through reconstruct is looking good here it can go totally of the rails in other scene. super XBR is cheap and pretty much never fails.
Old 2nd January 2024, 06:37   #64496  |  Link
Sunspark

My fave chroma is mitchell-netravali on my hardware (igp).. it's not demanding on resources, and the nice thing about it, in terms of luster, body and colour it seems to have a good balance.. some other chroma algos tend to look "flat" or emphasize certain colours too much, etc. Super-xbr is a good choice too if you have a dedicated graphics card.

Luma is more complicated.. there's such a thing as too sharp. Very much personal taste there.
Old 2nd January 2024, 12:30   #64497  |  Link
Damien147

Quote:
NGU AA places the chroma slightly wrong and is slow just use super xbr.
Really?I thought NGU AA was the best thing if you could handle it.What sharpness you suggest with super xbr?Anti ringing filter ticked or not?
My aim is to have natural picture with best possible upscaling.

Last edited by Damien147; 2nd January 2024 at 13:13.
Old 2nd January 2024, 14:07   #64498  |  Link
huhn

anti ringing on.
100 to 150.
150 is good for 1080p sources where another scaling is happening and at native resolution 100 is plenty.
Old 2nd January 2024, 14:42   #64499  |  Link
Damien147

Quote:
anti ringing on.
100 to 150.
150 is good for 1080p sources where another scaling is happening and at native resolution 100 is plenty.

I want to put a set and forget setting for everything.Does 150 have a negative impact at native resolution?
In general most of the movies I watch are full hd but when I have a choice I also watch 4k.
With what you are saying I am thinkin' anti ringing on and sharpness at 150 for everything but I don't know if 150 affects 4k in a negative way.Am I fine like that?

edit:I googled how to create a profile for chroma and found an article.Just copied some settings and succesfully created it with the settings you suggest.

huhn you've always been so helpful through the years and I really appreciate it.Thank you very much.

At last after 3 weeks a positive outcome was created.I guess I can use latest driver without a crash now that I lowered chroma.

Thank you all!!!

Last edited by Damien147; 3rd January 2024 at 01:17.
Old 3rd January 2024, 19:14   #64500  |  Link
Amuat

This conversation has made me think again what would really be the best setup for a soft (but not blurry) image, which I'm after as I very much dislike any amount of graininess. I've been using NGU AA with reduce ringing artifacts (and reduce dark halos), reduce compression artifacts at 7 medium (with chroma also) and soften edges at 3. Would it be better to use Jinc, as it only upscales without doubling? Or does it give overall worse image quality (and if NGU AA is problematic, then compare it to NGU Soft)? It has less sharpness, but also slightly more aliasing and ringing, and no amount of hide source artifacts. Then again, it wins clearly on "other artifacts", whatever they are. Are there also other things to consider (naturally my monitor is at zero sharpness and I'm also using Philips' noise reduction at maximum)?
Amuat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling