Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 20th August 2007, 23:29   #1  |  Link
K40

Possible to decrypt D-Theater ?

Does somebody know how to make a Backup on Harddisk from a D-Theater tape?
K40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 14:27   #2  |  Link
jackchen

well, there is a known working way. but it's very complicated.
Using an modified HDTV tuner which can capture the decrypted TS via 1394. then use the tuner to play the DVHS tape via 1394 and then capture the TS in the same time.
This is a prooven solution. You can even use the Japanese BSD HDTV tuner to play the US region D-Theater tape. Though you can't see the video because they're not compatible in codec, but you can still capture the TS from the 1394 bus with a modified tuner.
again, this is only for professionals, and you need modified hardware.
jackchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2007, 17:19   #3  |  Link
calinb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackchen View Post
Using an modified HDTV tuner which can capture the decrypted TS via 1394. then use the tuner to play the DVHS tape via 1394 and then capture the TS in the same time.
D-Theater / D-VHS uses DTCP (5C) to protect the 1394 stream. Given that this stream is encrypted, the only way the tuner could capture a useful stream is to decrypt it and then capture the stream, post decryption, which is entirely possible, of course.

Quote:
again, this is only for professionals, and you need modified hardware.
As in "professional" media pirates? Once again, DRM proves only to be of consequence to the paying consumer who'd simply like to exercise fair use rights. My D-VHS deck is acting up and I sure wish I had a reliable way to continue to watch the D-Theater tapes I've purchased, once the deck stops working entirely. D-VHS has proven to be a short lived and poorly supported format.

Last edited by calinb; 24th August 2007 at 17:21.
calinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2007, 18:02   #4  |  Link
moshmothma

Quote:
Originally Posted by calinb View Post
\
As in "professional" media pirates? Once again, DRM proves only to be of consequence to the paying consumer who'd simply like to exercise fair use rights.
I would not call these guys professional media pirates. THey are not making any money off the duplication of dtheater titles. Simply providing a mechanism to "backup" Dtheater tapes.
moshmothma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2007, 20:33   #5  |  Link
K40

Thanks for your info.
Quote:
If i understand this right the D-Theater tape is played and the Data is going via 1394 to the modified Tuner.The Tuner decrypts the Stream and sends it via the second 1394 connector to a Mac or PC where it's captured.

Quote:
and you need modified hardware
Is there a description available about that modification and which tuners are possible to modifiy?
Old 27th April 2008, 23:25   #6  |  Link
bobberty

nevermind. bob.

Last edited by bobberty; 28th April 2008 at 09:49.
bobberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008, 01:26   #7  |  Link
malrangpig

DVHS <----> T165 stb <----> USB 2.0 module <---> PC
USB module can get from japan
malrangpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008, 11:58   #8  |  Link
K40

Would this be a standard T165 stb or a modified?
Or does the USB2.0 Box decrypt the stream.
Firewire input,decrypting and with USB2.0 to PC ??
Old 12th May 2008, 04:55   #9  |  Link
malrangpig

Decrypt d-theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by K40 View Post
DVHS <-(encrypted TS data) --> 1394 port T165 stb <--decrypted TS data---> (connect USB IO input) <--- USB port output --> PC connection
USB box don't have any decrypted logic, samsung T165 1394 bus output decrypted TS data.
malrangpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2008, 00:48   #10  |  Link
calinb

Quote:
Originally Posted by K40 View Post
I don't have a T165 or Firewire to USB converter so I can only speculate how this might work. Given that the T165 is the only device mentioned as workable, I'll assume that it contained a bug in its implementation of DTCP ("5C"). It's well known that the T165 was a buggy receiver so perhaps a bug went in the favor of the consumer (don't update the firmware, if you find a workable method ). Or perhaps it must be hacked first. I have no idea.

In any case, it appears that hooking up a 5C non-compliant device (the USB "module" mentioned in this thread) causes the T165 to output a stream in the clear. Normally, a 5C device will only send a "copy once" or "copy never" stream as an encrypted stream and the video recipient decrypts and decodes the video.

Perhaps something like http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-527950.html would work, though such usage relies on the capture software included with the converter, which is designed to capture DV rather than mpeg transport streams.
calinb is offline   Reply With Quote