Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th March 2011, 14:50   #1  |  Link
galinette69

Issues with MeGui/x264 encoding

Dear all,

I encountered the following problems while trying to encode 720/24p video with MeGUI/x264/NeroAAC, intended for computer watching and AVCHD burning on DVD. I'm using a recent MeGUI version (1 month old at most) and a recent MPC-HC 64 for playing under windows 7. For encoding video, I'm using the x264/AVCHD preset, and I only change the mode (quality or VBR) and the quality/bitrate value.
  • I encoded my video using quality based encoding, with a quality value of 18. This makes a 200Mb file. The resulting video plays choppy (reduced frame rate) in some parts of the video, and smooth on other parts. The smooth/choppy parts are always the same, so it made me think of a avisynth source issue, but when I edit the video, all the frames are there.
    I reencoded in bitrate mode, using the same average bitrate, to get the same file size. Then, everything plays fine. All advanced settings stayed the same (unchanged from AVCHD preset)
  • All my video encoded with these settings are buggy for random seeking in MPC-HC. When I manually jump to any time in the video, sometimes it takes a few seconds to jump (which is not a problem and probably depends on the I frame rate in some advanced settings), but sometimes, it just freezes the video and never jump. Re-jumping to another time sometimes unfreeze it, and sometimes never.
    Other AVC videos (such as ones encoded in VBR with sony vegas, or the raw ones from my camera) work perfectly for random seeking in MPC-HC.

Do you have any clue for solving the above problems? I did not try with another player than MPC-HC, but as it is a fairly common player, I'd like to encode video that support it!

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Etienne
galinette69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 07:13   #2  |  Link
AMED

I've had a very similar problem but with XVID's randomly skipping. what i did was reinstall MPC-HC with the reset settings option enabled and it has been fine ever since.