Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 17th September 2017, 03:27   #1  |  Link
suprasaiyan123

Madvr HDR not working, help please

Hello, I'm trying to get Madvr via MPC-HC to recognize HDR video and convert to SDR, however the video still shows up washed out no matter what settings I use. I'm using the latest windows 10, my GPU is a gtx 1070, and the screen is a lg 27UD68. I have set the display to 0-255, 10 bit, already calibrated, HDR tab is set to "convert HDR content to SDR by using pixel shader math," enable full screen exclusive mode is enabled, use direct33D 11 for presentation is enabled, dither has been disabled. What am i doing wrong, I cannot figure this out, the videos themselves should not be a problem as win10 native player plays them as HDR with whites and colors blown out. Someone please let me know if I'm missing a setting... Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
suprasaiyan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2017, 04:21   #2  |  Link
Asmodian

Have you tried adjusting "this display's peak nits:" on the HDR page?

Also why is dither disabled?!?
Old 17th September 2017, 05:25   #3  |  Link
suprasaiyan123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Have you tried adjusting "this display's peak nits:" on the HDR page?

Also why is dither disabled?!?
I read some old posts around the internet to possibly try disabling dithering if madvr HDR isnt working properly, I'm not sure personally why it should affect madvr, I tried to change peak nits now 100,600,1000 it all still looks washed out...
Old 17th September 2017, 12:27   #4  |  Link
Asmodian

Dithering should never be off, only turn it off for testing, never for watching. It will not impact HDR working properly and I would ignore anyone who suggested turning off dithering.

Are you using an AMD graphics card? Try setting both madVR and the GPU to 8-bit output.

Since you do not have an HDR display you do not want HDR output, madVR will take care of everything needed to display HDR video on your SDR display.

What are you viewing for your HDR test? Are you sure its metadata is correct?
Old 18th September 2017, 07:14   #5  |  Link
suprasaiyan123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Dithering should never be off, only turn it off for testing, never for watching. It will not impact HDR working properly and I would ignore anyone who suggested turning off dithering.

Are you using an AMD graphics card? Try setting both madVR and the GPU to 8-bit output.

Since you do not have an HDR display you do not want HDR output, madVR will take care of everything needed to display HDR video on your SDR display.

What are you viewing for your HDR test? Are you sure its metadata is correct?
Thanks for the reply Asmodian, I have a GTX 1070, I turned dither back on, switched the display to 8 bit both in nvidia settings and MADVR, and I set the HDR settings to "Let madvr decide" and still nothing, video remains washed out, I don't think it's a problem with the file as win10 native player shows blown out whites and colors as if it picks up the HDR metadata, if there is an official video that can be used for diagnostics I can try that instead, I'm not sure what else I can do at this point...
Old 18th September 2017, 07:16   #6  |  Link
huhn

can you make a screen of the OSD?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 11:30   #7  |  Link
suprasaiyan123

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
can you make a screen of the OSD?
Here you go huhn, I hope this is what you wanted. Apologies I could not get a proper print screen as the image kept showing up as a black box, so i took out my phone and got a pic instead, i set everything back to 10 bit also since changing to 8 didn't make a visible difference. I used the Sony HDR demo I found online for testing.

Old 18th September 2017, 11:40   #8  |  Link
huhn

the file that madVR get's is 8 bit with no meta data none.

so it is either broken or something in your chain breaks it.

you don't have something installed like ffdshow or?
use mpc-hc play the file -> play -> filter - "copy filter list to..." -> post it here.

and i would guess you are dropping a lot of frames but you took the screen in pause mode hard to judge. a simple alt + print -> open "paint" control + v -> save -> upload would be fine too.
Old 18th September 2017, 20:19   #9  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprasaiyan123 View Post
I used the Sony HDR demo I found online for testing.
Is it that HDR Camp demo with broken metadata?
Old 18th September 2017, 20:51   #10  |  Link
huhn

even if that'S the case it would be 10 bit and most likely all other information just some of them are wrong but not missing.
Old 20th September 2017, 06:00   #11  |  Link
suprasaiyan123

Hey thanks a lot guys, I got it working by disabling ffdshow, I had no idea that it couldn't pass through HDR metadata until huhn mentioned it.