Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Old 9th March 2022, 23:55   #1  |  Link
lansing

VHS capturing device in 2022?

I'm planning to do some high quality VHS transfer. I had done my research to shop for the other equipment like an line-based TBC VCR and an external frame-based TBC. Now I'm looking for a good quality capturing device.

However, with most of the good old options of PCI capture card probably not going to work because of the outdated drivers, I think I should be looking at the USB options? I'm looking for something that I can capture lossless in Virtualdub for further post processing. What are my options?
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2022, 00:32   #2  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
I'm planning to do some high quality VHS transfer. I had done my research to shop for the other equipment like an line-based TBC VCR and an external frame-based TBC. Now I'm looking for a good quality capturing device.

However, with most of the good old options of PCI capture card probably not going to work because of the outdated drivers, I think I should be looking at the USB options? I'm looking for something that I can capture lossless in Virtualdub for further post processing. What are my options?
I am using Hauppauge USB-live 2 together with a Pana DVD recorder in passthrough. Huffyuv lossless codec 4:2:2 and AmarecTV (less issues than VirtualDub/W10) as capture SW. I am quite satisfied with the result.

Last edited by Sharc; 10th March 2022 at 00:42.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2022, 02:17   #3  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
I am using Hauppauge USB-live 2 together with a Pana DVD recorder in passthrough. Huffyuv lossless codec 4:2:2 and AmarecTV (less issues than VirtualDub/W10) as capture SW. I am quite satisfied with the result.
I just checked their website, they stated that the device is outputting at 4:2:2, is it true? Have you checked?
Old 10th March 2022, 02:39   #4  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Hauppauge USB-live 2 contains a MPEG-2 hardware encoder in a USB Stick (40€).
Welcome blockiness and a PSNR <32dB.
DV-AVI delivers better than that.

01.04.2022: I stand corrected:
The CX23100, while being able to capture on-the-fly hardware-encoded MPEG-2,
indeed additionally offers blockfree 4:2:2 uncompressed capture via USB2.0 and VirtualDub2
without framedrops in my short test.

No mentioning of that capabilitiy by Hauppauge themselves on their website nor specs.

If high quality is needed, I would suggest 4:2:2 10 bit uncompressed.
Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle (200€) is able to do that via USB 3.
One has to use their universal driver though, no VD.

Last edited by Emulgator; 1st April 2022 at 10:04.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2022, 03:24   #5  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulgator View Post
DV-AVI delivers better than that.
Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle (200€) is able to do that via USB 3.
One has to use their universal driver though, no VD.
I have read about Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle, the problem people complained were that it's picky for VHS source, if my signal is not clean it would fail.

And what about the audio recording. Can the Shuttle record and output in lossless format?
Old 10th March 2022, 07:09   #6  |  Link
rwill

There has recently been some discussion here:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=183814

I don't think a Blackmagic Intesity would perform worse than some 40$ USB Grabber on not so clean input.
rwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2022, 07:55   #7  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
I just checked their website, they stated that the device is outputting at 4:2:2, is it true? Have you checked?
Yes of course. One can use Huffyuv, UTVideo, Lagarith as lossless encoders together with a capture SW of your choice (AmarecTV, VirtualDub, VirtualVCR ......).
I bought my device about 10 years ago and captured plenty of VHS stuff since. As I wrote, I am using it together with a Pana DVD Recorder in passthrough.
Old 10th March 2022, 08:01   #8  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulgator View Post
Wrong and misleading information, sorry.
The device is shipped with a mpeg2 SW capture GUI which one does not have to use.
I am using it mostly with the Huffyuv codec (lossless 4:2:2, interlaced) and AmarecTV as capturing SW and a Panasonic DVD recorder in passthrough (via S-video). No blocks, no AV sync issues, no line wiggle or dropped frames.
It's just my practical experience, not based on misleading datasheets or whatever.
I mentioned this device because it works here pretty well and it is still actively supported with driver updates etc. by the manufacturer. I bought my device about 10 years ago, just updating the drivers along wiht the OS updates. I don't know if the quality of the HW is still the same today, but I recommended it in the other forum to a guy who is now more than happy with it after he has tried other current devices without success, pulling his hair ......

Going a bit more into details:
I had to do slight 'ProcAmp' adjustments in order to avoid YCbCr triplets which become out-of-gamut RGB when converted to RGB by a player/monitor (TV, PC ....)
Fine tuning is done when compressing the lossless 4:2:2 capture to the distribution format like x264, x265 or whatever, using Avisynth and/or an NLE.
Also, the device should be used via S-video because its comb filter for separating luma from chroma of composite video is not the very best (in my experience). The DVD recorder in passthrough solved this issue.

Last edited by Sharc; 10th March 2022 at 10:05.
Old 10th March 2022, 10:25   #9  |  Link
scharfis_brain
brainless

My current capture setup looks like this:
- a decent S-VHS VCR without TBC but with EDIT-MODE.
- 4.7k Ohm Potentiometer in the Y-Line of a S-Video cable to reduce Luma levels in order to avoid white-clipping
- S-Video input to a Panasonic ES10 (works as TBC)
- Component (YCbCr) Output of the ES-10 straight into the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle.

This way I only have one PAL-delay-line in the playback-chain, which inheritely reduces vertical chroma resolution as well es introduces vertical chroma shift.

Don't PM me for technical support, please.
scharfis_brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2022, 11:06   #10  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by scharfis_brain View Post
This way I only have one PAL-delay-line in the playback-chain, which inheritely reduces vertical chroma resolution as well es introduces vertical chroma shift.
Interesting. In my setup (PAL) I had to shift the chroma up one pixel (scanline).
Old 10th March 2022, 11:12   #11  |  Link
scharfis_brain
brainless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Interesting. In my setup (PAL) I had to shift the chroma up one pixel (scanline).
Yep. I have to do this, too.
But not using S-Video a second time avoids a two pixel-shift.

Old 10th March 2022, 12:25   #12  |  Link
lollo2

My experience.

I also use a Hauppauge USB Live-2 capture card, fed by a JVC HR-9500MS (VCR with lineTBC). As Sharc, I capture with AmarecTV using HuffYUV 4:2:2 under Windows 10.

Since >5 years of capturing S-VHS / VHS I am obtaining excellent results. When (rarely in my case) the lineTBC of the VCR is not strong enough, I disable it and use a Panasonic DMR-ES15, with its side effects.

Most of the time the best VCR setting in my case is edit=off and D3R=on, sometimes edit=on and D3R=off.

Last edited by lollo2; 10th March 2022 at 12:40.
lollo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2022, 13:09   #13  |  Link
scharfis_brain
brainless

I've tested several JVC VCRs with TBC and 3DNR.
All models had the same in common: the 3DNR - dispite of its setting - could not be disabled entirely. It was just reduced.

This interferes with my workflow: I deshake all content.

Thus I only use VCRs without digital processing.

Old 10th March 2022, 14:18   #14  |  Link
lollo2

Yes, I have red elsewhere about your workflow: temporal noise reduction, especially on chroma, is not compatible with deshaking, and artifacts are created. You better work with a "raw" untouched capture for your videos.

BTW, the JVC VCRs noise reduction, linked to the lineTBC, is called N.R and can never be fully disabled; it is just reduced using edit mode=on. D3R is the internal sharpening feature: despite beeing "primitive", is not that bad associated with edit mode=off, because it slightly enhaces some details softened by the noise reduction. It is not good when using edit mode=on.

Edit:
Quote:
10-bit capture is not necessary for a VHS capture, 8-bit is more than adequate. You just fill the "extra" bit space with "nothing".
Uncompressed is not required either, a lossless codec is more appropriate to avoid filling "extra" disk space with "nothing".

Quote:
Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle (200€) is able to do that via USB 3
Quote:
I don't think a Blackmagic Intesity would perform worse than some 40$ USB Grabber on not so clean input.
They do. Blackmagic cards are not recommended for Analog SD capture, even with a clean input. Many results available on digitalfaq and videohelp forums.
Some model can be used to "dump" the Analog to HDMI (digital) conversion generated by a Panasonic DVD-R recorder used as capture device: another role, another story.

If a high-end device is required, an example is the Ensemble Designs BrightEye 75. Not because its 10bit capture, but because it has internally a quasi line/frameTBC, which avoid the usage of two lossy A/D and D/A conversions inside the VCR or the DVD-R recorder in passthrough mode. But it requires a SDI capture flow. User latreche34/dellsam34 posted some sample on digitalfaq and videohelp forums.

Last edited by lollo2; 10th March 2022 at 15:02.
lollo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2022, 14:47   #15  |  Link
scharfis_brain
brainless

As soon as the analogue signal has been cleaned by the ES10, the Intesity Shuttle shows no problems capturing the signal.
As soon as I remove the ES10 from the chain, it is nearly impossible to make usable captures with the Intensity Shuttle.

btw.: some Advice on the DigitalFAQ Forums are emotionally steered. I don't trust them. Especially the advice regarding ES10 and intensity Shuttle and TBCs.

I hope, that Raw-Capturing and vhs-decode eventually will become mature, so that all issues regarding VCRs and capture cards will be gone.

Old 10th March 2022, 14:56   #16  |  Link
lollo2

Quote:
some Advice on the DigitalFAQ Forums are emotionally steered.
I agree But the weakness of the BM cards for Analog SD captures are reported everywhere. I also have experience with dropped frames not reported and incorrect levels with few captures I did with some friends. And the intrinsic quality of the capture is not better than the Hauppauge USB Live-2.

Concerning vhs-decode, I am waiting for its maturity as well and since longtime, because I have not seen so far "superior" captures performed by high end material. We all then will switch to it and forget about lineTBC, frameTBC, procamp, capture cards, USB, HDMI, SDI, ...
Old 10th March 2022, 18:01   #17  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by scharfis_brain View Post
- 4.7k Ohm Potentiometer in the Y-Line of a S-Video cable to reduce Luma levels in order to avoid white-clipping
Interesting option. Maybe better than doing this correction by means of 'ProcAmp' tweaks after the A/D conversions - if need be.
Old 10th March 2022, 18:01   #18  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Sorry for my MPEG-2 conclusion from the Hauppauge USB Live-2 datasheet.
I couldn't imagine that this thing delivers SD uncompressed via USB 2...

Small Disclaimer: I am not a BM fanboy, this is just to publish ways to get the desired high quality result.

Back to Blackmagic Intensity shuttle audio:
Yes. this captures uncompressed audio, but with a implementation fault, which can be mended by passing audio through Audacity.
See below:
Quote:
Follow-up of buggy drivers:
In case somebody wants to use Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0:
The captured-from-analogue 2.0 24bps@48kHz Audio stream (under mentioned firmware)
can not be recognised by SoundForgePro 10,11, Vegas Pro 12,13,14,15, eac3to 3.34.
Only Audacity using ffmpeg (avcodec-55.dll) could index, open and recode to 2.0 24bps 48kHz .wav.
So for me 2 more steps before one can actually work with the capture.
Looking at mediainfo I assume they inserted the WMMEDIASUBTYPE as Codec ID.
Just reported that to Blackmagic.
TBC: Yes, what the others said.
Blackmagic Shuttle is indeed picky, line TBC only, this is of no help if source is jittery, and drops out.
I use a choice of AG-7750 or NV-HS950, or DMR-EX95 or Toshiba RD-XR48 as playback decks,
each behaving differently and solving different scenarios, then into Intensity Shuttle.

10bit or not: Once you need to expand blacks you will ask for the additional 2 bits...
Since the TBCs in the machines I have (NV-HS950 at least) only work on 8 bit fields,
maybe a moot point, but you never know.
----------------
Late Edit about 10bit being useful or not (I just made a recent BM <-> HA comparison).
Pixel-peeping and checking sample values in AvsPmod from the BM 10-bit captures:

The lowest two bits indeed contain meaningful data.
In black bars/pillars of a VHS capture all reasonable values are there:
Y values starting from 30, odd values are there, no zeros only, no multiples of 2 or 4 only,
so worth to have and keep in my humble opinion...

Last edited by Emulgator; 1st April 2022 at 10:52.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2022, 18:08   #19  |  Link
lansing

Reading from the comments above, looks like Hauppauge USB is the way to go. It's inexpensive, no drops in quality, with constant driver updates and it can output raw data. Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle can also be a good choice if I'm doing game captures that requires a component inputs, but I'm only doing VHS atm.

I agree that the atmosphere in DigitalFAQ is just not genuine. They're like "this is bad, this is bad, that is bad, that is bad. Okay this is good. You want it? I have it. It cost a thousand bucks." I mean they're selling a second hand Hauppauge USB for $150, wow.

@scharfis_brain

What is this Ohm Potentiometer, what is the white clipping? Can you show a before/after pictures?

I'm also getting the JVC S-VHS HR-7500+/8000/9000 series (depends on price) and know about the DNR that was tied to the TBC in its memory buffer, but just how bad was the DNR? Does it wipe out a lot of details?

Also with the s-video output, is there going to be a shift in chroma pixel by nature? The setup in my mind is a
Code:
JVC VCR => s-video out to Videonics Digital Video Mixer MX-1 for TBC => s-video out to Hauppauge USB => PC
So my chroma is going to be shifted twice?

Last edited by lansing; 10th March 2022 at 19:43. Reason: removed wrong observation
Old 10th March 2022, 18:21   #20  |  Link
lollo2

Quote:
Interesting option. Maybe better than doing this correction by means of 'ProcAmp' tweaks after the A/D conversions - if need be.
More details here: https://gleitz.info/forum/index.php?...meras-vidicon/

The card procamp tweak happens in the digital domain, with all the constraints we discussed in several topics at videohelp forums (you were active on those discussions IIRC).

The voltage shrink happens in the analog domain, and is sensitive to "classic" analog problems, such as noise, interferences, accuracy, ... Only a side-by-side comparison for each case can determine what is better, and the winner probably is not always the same.

IMO the best solution is an external high-end true procamp (but also in this case we are introducing and additional element in the capture chain, with its own disadvantage)

Tags
capture card, vhs capture