Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 6th May 2021, 13:16   #4221  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
So I think I've made a mistake, I set DGEncNV up on an AMD GPU PC
Two things:

1. My tools are DGDecNV, not DGEncNV.

2. DGDecNV requires an nVidia GPU. It won't work on an AMD GPU.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2021, 14:44   #4222  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
Two things:

1. My tools are DGDecNV, not DGEncNV.

2. DGDecNV requires an nVidia GPU. It won't work on an AMD GPU.
Yeah, that was a big typo, sorry 'bout that.

But I cant get it to work on a GTX 1080 !!

Please read the errors I got (above)

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 6th May 2021 at 15:05.
Pauly Dunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2021, 16:49   #4223  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Try to run DGIndexNV standalone on your 1080-based system, i.e., without staxrip. Does that work?
Old 6th May 2021, 19:04   #4224  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Try to run DGIndexNV standalone on your 1080-based system, i.e., without staxrip. Does that work?
No, pretty much the same errors.
Old 7th May 2021, 01:55   #4225  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

OK, so not a staxrip issue. If you want support please use the DG Tools forum. Make sure you have the latest nVidia driver installed and try with the latest DGIndexNV version.
Old 7th May 2021, 03:18   #4226  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
OK, so not a staxrip issue. If you want support please use the DG Tools forum. Make sure you have the latest nVidia driver installed and try with the latest DGIndexNV version.
OK, well that's no help...the ONLY reason I'm going thru this procedure is because of this post :-

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...90#post1941590

I have the latest driver, the CUDA toolkit (which is a large download, wasted), and the latest DGIndexNV !!!

Having said that, using the x64 version creates the errors, yet using the x86 version, it doesn't.

I'm running the very latest Windows 10 x64.

I think someone else needs to do some "homework".

BTW, the error msg is culnit, not cuinit.
Old 7th May 2021, 04:10   #4227  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Slight error in KNLMeansCL script

I was just looking thru the 3, KNLMeansCL filters, and noticed that the scripts for both Medium & Strong are the same.

The "h" value for both is 4, but I would think that "Strong" should be 6.

Just sayin'.

Cheers
Old 7th May 2021, 04:27   #4228  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
OK, well that's no help...the ONLY reason I'm going thru this procedure is because of this post :-

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...90#post1941590

I have the latest driver, the CUDA toolkit (which is a large download, wasted), and the latest DGIndexNV !!!

Having said that, using the x64 version creates the errors, yet using the x86 version, it doesn't.

I'm running the very latest Windows 10 x64.

I think someone else needs to do some "homework".

BTW, the error msg is culnit, not cuinit.
Not gonna do support here. If you want support use the DG Tools forum. Bye!

http://rationalqm.us/board/index.php

Last edited by videoh; 7th May 2021 at 04:30.
Old 7th May 2021, 05:16   #4229  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Not gonna do support here. If you want support use the DG Tools forum. Bye!

Hey, I am trying to let ppl know that if they choose to integrate this into Staxrip, they are going to have issues !!!

JKyle wrote a very good guide on how to set this up for Staxrip, which worked well, BUT, there is a serious issue, when it comes to actually wanting to use it...that's what I meant about homework..no use adding something, that doesn't seem to work

And don't say "Bye" to me, either...
Old 7th May 2021, 15:35   #4230  |  Link
Lada1

Is there a way to export (encode to) Canopus Grass Valley HQ(x) codec within StaxRip?
Lada1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2021, 17:05   #4231  |  Link
44vince44

@Lada, there is an option to use command line encoders in Staxrip, but you have to write the command line syntax yourself, and provide the executable...
44vince44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2021, 17:33   #4232  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
there is a serious issue, when it comes to actually wanting to use it...that's what I meant about homework..no use adding something, that doesn't seem to work
Lots of people have it working just fine. I offered to support you at my forum. It's up to you whether you want to actually solve your problem or just rant. Bye!
Old 8th May 2021, 00:29   #4233  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

@44vince44 and I have made wiki documents on Dolby Vision/HDR10+ re-encoding.

Last edited by JKyle; 8th May 2021 at 00:45.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2021, 01:44   #4234  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Lots of people have it working just fine.
This DGDecNV has only been up (as a free option) for about a week, JKyle posted the instructions for it, and other than me, I haven't seen ANY comments about it.

I would expect someone to chime in with a "fix", if "Lots of people have it working just fine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh
I offered to support you at my forum.
It's up to you whether you want to actually solve your problem or just rant. Bye!
I have looked thru all your replies to me, and I don't see any offer to support me, unless "your" forum is

I did have a look around there, but couldn't find anything relevant.

I have checked & replied on the suggestions you made....

Of course I want to solve the problem, but when I don't get the help needed, then maybe I rant....

Now I know that you're around my age, (according to a poll I stumbled across the other day), so don't treat me like some young kid.
Old 8th May 2021, 01:56   #4235  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Sorry, Pauly, thought everyone knew I am the author of DGIndexNV and the owner of the DG Tools website. You can call me DG if you like. I mentioned a couple times that I do my support there. If you want help please register and start a thread there. I am very fast for support when posted at my forum. When you join, put up a nice avatar; otherwise you get a default faceless guy.

The data you gave suggests a DGIndexNV problem rather than a staxrip problem (you said it fails standalone in 64-bit). I am likely the only guy that can help you with that as it is closed source. If you want help with it you know what to do.

If it's not a staxrip problem we shouldn't clutter up this thread.

Onward and upward, my friend. I agree, the young whippersnappers need guidance from the wise guys like us.

Last edited by videoh; 8th May 2021 at 02:14.
Old 8th May 2021, 03:34   #4236  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Sorry, Pauly, thought everyone knew I am the author of DGIndexNV and the owner of the DG Tools website. You can call me DG if you like. I mentioned a couple times that I do my support there. If you want help please register and start a thread there. I am very fast for support when posted at my forum. When you join, put up a nice avatar; otherwise you get a default faceless guy.

The data you gave suggests a DGIndexNV problem rather than a staxrip problem (you said it fails standalone in 64-bit). I am likely the only guy that can help you with that as it is closed source. If you want help with it you know what to do.

If it's not a staxrip problem we shouldn't clutter up this thread.

Onward and upward, my friend. I agree, the young whippersnappers need guidance from the wise guys like us.
Hi "DG",

Well, what can I say, I am very, very happy, thankyou

I am a real noobie to not only Staxrip, but this Forum, so I wasn't aware of your "status", but I have seen your "name" around the place, I generally hang out on the Ripbot Forum.

OK, I will sign up on your Forum, and lets see if "we" can get to the bottom of this problem...it will help ppl here, as well, I'm sure.

Cheers
Old 8th May 2021, 04:56   #4237  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Rocky will take care of you.
Old 8th May 2021, 09:08   #4238  |  Link
44vince44

Happy to see this was all a misunderstanding:
First, written comments lack tone and can sometimes be misinterpreted. So let's all be forgiving.
Second, for those who still don't know: videoh = rocky = DG = rationalqm = Donald Graft, the author of the amazing DG tools (DGIndex, DHHDRtpSDR etc...)
44vince44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2021, 11:24   #4239  |  Link
BobDig

Thanks for the clarification @44vince44, didn't know him either, probably because I like free stuff.

And I have a question regarding the future of StaxRip. Has Stax left? Will StaxRip be for novice users too, who don't know about avisynth, scripts and stuff or will it become a tool for pros only? I am somewhat concerned about the toxicity here, if novice users like me ask a question. And I am of the mindset that, if you put a nice GUI on it, you have some responsibility...

Also reading the new "guides", which are probably only used by a very small minority of staxrip users, we need this integrated in the GUI and not something, that will be deleted every time I delete the folder in app-data, which looks to me is the recommendation, if I update StaxRip in the first place. But maybe I am getting it wrong, not a native English speaker here. Same with the br-folder as source problem...

I am concerned more then ever, I use this tool for ages.

Last edited by BobDig; 8th May 2021 at 11:27.
BobDig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2021, 15:45   #4240  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDig View Post
Will StaxRip be for novice users too, who don't know about avisynth, scripts and stuff or will it become a tool for pros only? I am somewhat concerned about the toxicity here, if novice users like me ask a question.
StaxRip has never been and can never be a tool for novices by nature. It employs hundreds of tools and even the most complicated open source media tool, ffmpeg, is only a member of the employees. Although @stax76 and other developers/participants have done their best to keep StaxRip as easy to use as possible, there are complex things going on inside, and users are supposed to understand at least how the processes are going on. It is clearly stated in the GitHub intro document.

Quote:
StaxRip is no One-Click Encoder!

StaxRip is capable of performing a wide variety of jobs for video/audio processing. To unleash its full power, users are required to know what they want to achieve and how to set up StaxRip to meet their needs. If you are a first-time user, it is especially strongly recommended that you learn the basics referring to the documents and do some tests to understand how StaxRip works and what you can achieve with it.
Since there are so many tools involved, it is no wonder unexpected issues - both internal (=related to StaxRip itself) and external (=tool-related) - arise along the way. That's why StaxRip is updated so frequently.

On users' side, they are supposed to understand at least the basics of encoding. That's the minimum requirement.

But does it mean that StaxRip is for pros only? No. We have a term for that kind of users: intermediate. IMHO, users need to be equipped with at least intermediate knowledge about encoding in order to use StaxRip without major difficulties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDig View Post
And I am of the mindset that, if you put a nice GUI on it, you have some responsibility...
So you're demanding donors to be more responsible for the stuff that they're giving away and you've acquired at no price just because it looks nice...? What kind of logic is this?
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote