Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning

Old 10th March 2021, 06:35   #1  |  Link
rik1138

Possible to burn a PTP DVD .iso?

Something I haven't had to do in a long time... I have a DVD project that is PTP (Parallel Track Path) and layer 1 is larger than layer 0.
Normally, this couldn't be properly burned to a DL DVD-R, but I was just curious if anyone ever came up with a way to do it...
I could just tell ImgBurn to put a layer break somewhere and burn the disc, but sometimes you can't find a viable place to do that either...

Fortunately my layers are so close in size that I should be able to just pad layer 0 to make it larger, but I was wondering if anyone had ever come up with a better way.
rik1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2021, 01:14   #2  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Well, until now haven't heard of any PTP blanks sold.
Having to reposition the laser across the outer/inner track radius on layer breaks sucks definitely for most applications.

Since the tracks on DVD-R DL blanks are premolded I can't imagine how a writer can not adhere to these and give a choice of PTP vs. OPT.

I would guess that one can only order that from replicators by specifying that in DDP.
He will get that format as pressed DVD-ROM.
Old 1st April 2021, 21:50   #3  |  Link
Ghitulescu

All DVDRDL are OTP, this is the format.
The issue you're raising is interesting, never did that but assumed ImgBurn would know to translate the shorter layer to be aligned to the larger one, as it does with 32k compensation and stuff.
Old 23rd April 2021, 12:32   #4  |  Link
mp3dom

All burnable DL are fixed to OTP. If you have a PTP ISO or contents, the shorter layer0 will be filled with dummy data until it's bigger than layer1
mp3dom is offline   Reply With Quote