Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 7th June 2016, 19:50   #1  |  Link
Ely

Successor of RTMP for VP9/OPUS streaming ?

Hey,

So I was wondering, let's say someone were to create a new streaming platform (such as twitch) with one big difference : the codecs would have to be VP8|9 and OPUS. And I'm not talking about the broadcaster sending H264/AAC and then the platform transcoding, I'm talking about VP9/OPUS through the whole pipeline. What would be the drop-in replacement for RTMP ?

Would DASH be an option ? As far as I understand, one of the problems with DASH is that it introduces latency. And can it even be used for the broadcaster -> platform part ?

I was also wondering about the media protocol inside WebRTC. Anyone knows what it is ? It's a protocol that can handle VP9/OPUS streaming from client to client, so this would be a very interesting path to follow.

Thanks!
Ely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2016, 20:14   #2  |  Link
Nevilne

1) Just about everyone is using HLS (twitch does as well)

2) list of problems with "new and exciting next-gen codecs blabla"
- no guarantee of mobile decoders (not even every _desktop browser_ has them) - there goes 40% of your audience
- vbv bitrate controls/limits are awful - makes people lag and stresses delivery routes
- extremely slow encoding for broadcasters - atm even for x264 the prevailing preset is veryfast
Nevilne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2016, 20:19   #3  |  Link
Ely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevilne View Post
1) Just about everyone is using HLS (twitch does as well)

2) list of problems with "new and exciting next-gen codecs blabla"
- no guarantee of mobile decoders (not even every _desktop browser_ has them) - there goes 40% of your audience
- vbv bitrate controls/limits are awful - makes people lag and stresses delivery routes
- extremely slow encoding for broadcasters - atm even for x264 the prevailing preset is veryfast
Oh I'm very aware of the technical constraints, but the point of the post was to get ideas on protocols to use for VP9/OPUS streaming, not to actually discuss of the viability of such a platform in these days.

Does HLS support VP9 and OPUS ? Also, can it be used as a client to platform protocol ?
Ely is offline   Reply With Quote