Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 4th April 2016, 06:11   #1  |  Link
verahert

DTS Downmixed to stereo with ffmpeg/libopus

Hello, i'm trying to encode some bluray h264 remux to vp9 webm. Actually i'm using this line for encoding:
Code:
ffmpeg -i /Rambo.mkv -c:v libvpx-vp9 -b:v 1400 -threads 8 -speed 1 -c:a libopus -b:a 96 -f webm /Rambo.webm
Problem is that the original audio is "DTS Master Audio, English, 7.1 channels, 24 bits, 48kHz" and when i run this line, ffmpeg reports that will generate libopus in 5.1 and i want it in Stereo

I tried putting --downmix-stereo but it doesn't work "Unrecognized option '-downmix-stereo' appear, i need help to determine the parameter to encode DTS to Opus in Stereo.

Thanks!
verahert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 09:46   #2  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Just add "-ac 2", then it'll downmix for you. (-ac is "audio channel")
Old 4th April 2016, 14:02   #3  |  Link
verahert

Thanks! one more question, is it possible to encode it in 2 channels and Dolby Pro Logic II?
verahert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 21:32   #4  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

You need one more flag: -af "aresample=matrix_encoding=dplii" Also note that it's 96000, not 96.

You should do some serious testing before adding pro-logic to opus, especially at such a low bitrate. I just tested on both a very artificial test sample and a classical music sample, and noticed that in particular, center-rear (as in equal rear left and right) was just gone. At 128kbps, surround warbles like hell but it's there. I think you'd need a much higher bitrate to get good DPLII.

Opus has native surround, and many software and hardware players can do real-time downmixing to uncompressed DPLII. I think you should explore that option, instead of encoding DPLII in the video.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote