Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Closed Thread

Old 23rd September 2006, 18:33   #241  |  Link
josh2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillKotscha View Post
even if undrm'ed... the file still have a specific header :-)

napster for example... load your (un-) drm'ed file into winamp and view file info - scroll to the end and oups what will you see :-P

that doesn't mean that a player could detect that drm was stripped but...
Thats true, but should be all easily taken care of using a tag editor.. as that's all it is.
Old 24th September 2006, 04:20   #242  |  Link
garyhasbigfeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFreeq View Post
There's a missing link here. How do I convert the cleaned wma files to mp3, to have real portability?
(WITHOUT quality degradation any worse than having encoded in Mp3 192kb in the first place)

Thanks for links to any (cheap) tools.

And does 1.2 still work? Where can I get 2.0?
Soundforge is great at this too and it's free-ish. Plus it's hard to be more noob friendly than this app.
Old 24th September 2006, 12:04   #243  |  Link
aquina

Does anyone know how to remove the [noDRM] at the beginning of the file name? I have downloaded and converted CD's that I have in my CD collection as it is easier than burning them one by one but I would like to clean the file names now.

In windows media player there is an option: Rename music files using rip music settings

Would that work?
Old 24th September 2006, 12:39   #244  |  Link
protectyoursources

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquina View Post
Does anyone know how to remove the [noDRM] at the beginning of the file name? I have downloaded and converted CD's that I have in my CD collection as it is easier than burning them one by one but I would like to clean the file names now.

In windows media player there is an option: Rename music files using rip music settings

Would that work?
Google
Old 24th September 2006, 17:11   #245  |  Link
garyhasbigfeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by protectyoursources View Post
Google
http://www.usethesearchbutton.com/remove/drm/from/wmv

Last edited by garyhasbigfeet; 24th September 2006 at 17:46.
Old 24th September 2006, 17:11   #246  |  Link
philippas
∏→+∞

My view is that unDRM is perfectly legal.
If you get files that have copyrights then getting the files is illegal not unDRM them.
There are many valid cases where you would want to unDRM files.
Old 24th September 2006, 17:42   #247  |  Link
markloveshawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquina View Post
You shouldnt have any [noDRM] on your converted cd files but for the others there are programs that will do batch renaming of your files the one I've used is called File renamer found at

http://www.sherrodcomputers.com/prod...ilerenamer.cfm

Just pull up the folder there in and click the delete tab and tell it to delete 15 characters in (from the begining) and click preview to see what it will look like then apply to finish it.
Old 24th September 2006, 22:52   #248  |  Link
aquina

Quote:
Originally Posted by markloveshawaii View Post

http://www.sherrodcomputers.com/prod...ilerenamer.cfm

Just pull up the folder there in and click the delete tab and tell it to delete 15 characters in (from the begining) and click preview to see what it will look like then apply to finish it.
Thanks, that is the solution I was looking for.
Old 25th September 2006, 00:02   #249  |  Link
jewbaca

freezes whenever i try to recover the keys

im using 1.2 fix
and when i go to to recover the key for a music file
wmp 11 (beta 2) just freezes at the opening media screen
it doesnt exit automatically and if i close it manually then fu4wm stops responding
if anyone can tell me how to fix this then thank you
o ya heres all the information that pops up when i go to recover keys

at the extract DRM v1 keys window it says
DrmClien.DLL v10.0.0.3802

at recovering unique identifiers screen it say
Indiv01.key v11.0.5497.6285
Old 25th September 2006, 12:10   #250  |  Link
Mauroo

I hope I can post this here as its related. I recently changed my motherboard and CPU and discovered that the files that are still drm protected now refuse to play. I get the message

"Secure storage protection error. Restore your licenses from a previous backup and try again".

I have redownloaded the files in question all to no avail- I still get the above message.

Any help would be very helpful.
Old 25th September 2006, 14:28   #251  |  Link
protectyoursources

Ah the Wonders of Microsofts Machine based DRM .

Microsoft in thier infinite wisdom use components in your PC as a indentifier .

If you replace your CPU and Motherbaord Mirsosoft considers that to be a new PC .

Contact your service provider and they might issue with new licences if you are nice .They might deactivate your old machine and activate your new one but its a right pain in the arse .....

Or just UnDRm them .
Old 25th September 2006, 15:23   #252  |  Link
Zenitram

Quote:
Originally Posted by philippas View Post
My view is that unDRM is perfectly legal.
If you get files that have copyrights then getting the files is illegal not unDRM them.
There are many valid cases where you would want to unDRM files.
In France, even for valid cases, it is forbidden to unDRM a file (this is explicitly written in the new DADVSI law)
We are testing the reality with stopdrm.info team (we have written to Microsoft and Apple about a website which provide FairUse4WM and QTFairUse, we are waiting for the reply )
Old 25th September 2006, 15:40   #253  |  Link
dirtminer
Grouchy User

so much for FU4DRM - Microsoft has finally released a significant upgrade to their components. They haven't updated the IBX number, so everyone reporting problems has the new version.
http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/25/m...airuse4wm-1-2/
Old 25th September 2006, 17:15   #254  |  Link
garyhasbigfeet

Another good reason to turn "automatic updates" Off!

Hopefully mayang can release a new patch to fix it.
Old 25th September 2006, 18:21   #255  |  Link
driftr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtminer View Post
so much for FU4DRM - Microsoft has finally released a significant upgrade to their components. They haven't updated the IBX number, so everyone reporting problems has the new version.
http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/25/m...airuse4wm-1-2/
Sounds about right. I've built a test box and clean installed XP SP2 and am then finally able to extract a key from clips at ezdrm.com. I still have to get an update when I indiv. the box and have to download wmp10 but that's about it.

However my main goal is to attack my amazon unbox wmv and have yet to have success. Only have one file and no version of FU will work. Heck I'd buy more from them if I could remove the drm... anyone with unbox success have any tips?
Old 25th September 2006, 18:43   #256  |  Link
protectyoursources

Looks like there will be an Update this week

Quote:

The Engadget Interview: Viodentia, creator of FairUse4WM

Posted Sep 25th 2006 1:03PM by Ryan Block
Filed under: Features, Interviews, Portable Audio, Portable Video
Instead of our usual run of interviews with industry luminaries and the like, today we're aiming the camera a different direction. We had a few things to ask the person whom we've identified as Viodentia, the creator of FairUse4WM -- the thorn in Microsoft's (and Yahoo's, and Napster's, and Real's, etc.) digital media business for a month now. Seems at once likely and not that the big DRM scheme developed by the largest software company was broken and broken again by a single person, but here we are -- and here's what Viodentia had to say about the digital music business, where Microsoft went wrong with PlaysForSure, and what s/he thinks about this latest memo and patch.

Thanks for granting this interview. So FairUse4WM caused quite a stir. How long did it take you to crack Microsoft's PlaysForSure DRM? Was anyone else involved?

Finding a way to extract key information took about a couple of weeks of spare time. Going from a prototype to a more general tool took a couple of months. I am the only developer, although my friends served as early beta testers and sounding boards, and with the initial release I've gotten to know some very helpful people.

So apart from any ideological or political distaste you may have for DRM, do you have any personal reasons for wanting to crack Windows Media DRM? Like, are you a Rhapsody or Napster subscriber?

No, due to geographic location, I'm unable to subscribe to those services. Only my selfish rationale is the challenge in pitting my skills against the industry leader.

Without revealing the secret sauce, what were the fundamental flaws with PlaysForSure that allowed you to break it? Did Microsoft know about these flaws?

Once code is released, there's really nothing secret anymore -- Microsoft didn't follow standard security practices, and left sensitive data unencrypted on the stack while calling routines out of kernel32.dll. Even when they fix this by changing malloc() to alloca(), it'll still be a big task to audit other sensitive routines for DLL calls. On a theoretical level, they have to send the decryption keys outside of their control, and their only defense is through obfuscation.

Microsoft apparently has teams working around the clock to fix the vulnerability -- and on the legal front they've started getting their lawyers involved, sending C&Ds to places hosting the software. What do you think of their responses to FairUse4WM?

I think they're fulfilling their contractual obligations, and I'm looking forward to their improved obfuscation technology. I certainly disapprove of Microsoft claiming copyright to my program, but realistically I can't do much about that. Nor can I advocate that folks mirror my program against their local laws.

Presently Microsoft has yet to been able to fix this vulnerability -- is it possible for them to repair PlaysForSure without totally starting over?

As soon as I release something, Microsoft can certainly patch around it. I can do the same. I don't believe that either of us has a nuclear option.

What do you think of Microsoft's latest memo, which claims to patch version 1.2?

I'll reserve full commentary until I've had a chance to examine the new IBX in more detail. I'll release a new version sometime this week.

How do you think FairUse4WM affects the industry? Do you worry that cracking PlaysForSure is going to lead to the end of subscription-based services?

I think FairUse4WM is a good thing for the industry -- it demonstrates that the entire world doesn't turn upside down when there's no effective protection on content. I doubt subscription based services are impacted -- programs exploiting the analog hole were already widely spamvertised. The value of a subscription is the continuing access to new titles, which isn't dependent on the protection. I wonder if any subscription company will publicly admit that FairUse4WM was good for them.

Microsoft supposedly has a new DRM scheme they've cooked up for their forthcoming Zune media player. What do you think about their jettisoning PFS for their own device, and this new DRM system of theirs?

I don't have any insight into the politics at Microsoft. If I come across a Zune, I might have more comments on their DRM system at that point.

I know a lot of people at Microsoft and its PlaysForSure partners read us -- what do you have to say to them?

I think the biggest mistake with the PlaysForSure / WM design is that it's targeted too broadly. By incorporating forced product obsolesence and platform restrictions, it misses the mark in managing content rights. My suggestion to future designers is simple: don't bother with weak client-side decryption. Instead, provide a public specification for licenses using digital signatures, manage the PKI through a not-for-profit organization, and apply social and legal pressure to programs that don't comform. Accept that folks can trivially patch around the system, but if the restrictions aren't onerous most people won't go through the hassle. If WM files were already interoperable and the license terms were clearly communicated, there wouldn't be anything left for a program like FairUse4WM to accomplish.

Thanks!

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/25/t...e4wm/#comments[/B]

Last edited by protectyoursources; 25th September 2006 at 18:47.
Old 25th September 2006, 20:11   #257  |  Link
AudioFreeq

Thanks much for the advice...

OK, I found something.

Getting the "unhandled situation" error when I clean.
Assume that means my WMP has been updated?

Last edited by AudioFreeq; 26th September 2006 at 03:10.
Old 25th September 2006, 22:01   #258  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Interesting interview

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
Old 26th September 2006, 20:41   #259  |  Link
UsedUser

I have files with licenses I can no longer re-download. The music store closed down and the servers quit issuing new licenses.

I have working licenses and the files play fine in WMP9. I can't re-individualize or upgrade, or AFAIK, the licenses I have will no longer work, and they are the only licenses I will ever have for these files.

DrmClien.DLL v9.0.0.3250
IndivBox.key v8.0.0.4477

Perhaps because of the old version of the IBX, I have no drmstore.hds file.

I get the following errors:

FU4WM 1.1:
When trying to recover keys:
Pop-up titled "Unable to recover private key".
Error msg: "Windows Error 80030002 while DRM_HDS_OpenStore".

Somehow I get 2 keys in blackbox-keys.txt anyway.

When trying to decrypt:
"UNABLE TO DECRYPT: Windows Error 80030002 while DRM_HDS_OpenStore."

FU4WM 1.2:
When trying to recover keys:
Pop-up titled "Unable to recover private key".
Error msg: "Unhandled situation -8600 while Creating Windows Media instance."

Somehow I get 2 keys in blackbox-keys.txt anyway.

When trying to decrypt:
"UNABLE TO DECRYPT: Windows Error 80030002 while finding KID in V9 store."

DecryptIt opens the file in WMP, plays the file, closes WMP, and loops infinitely. Running drmdbg does nothing. I get a bunch of CRC statements in the cmd window, but then nothing happens. Nothing is written to the drm2 folder.

Anybody able to help? Much appreciated.
Old 27th September 2006, 01:27   #260  |  Link
krystof

Hi guys !
Thank you very much for this great program !!!
And congratulation to Viodentia !
This program ( 1.2 fix) works with WMP ( 9.00.00.3250version ).
It' s so easy !!!
Thank you so much !!
Excuse my english, i' m french !
Does somebody know which upgrade from micro$oft can failed Fairuse4wm ?
Then, i won' dowloaded it.
Thank you !

Last edited by krystof; 27th September 2006 at 01:29.
Closed Thread