Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 9th July 2020, 08:16   #1  |  Link
loninapleton

Synchronize the subtitle and image in VLC

My head is spinning on this. I look at out of sync subtitles and don't if I'm coming or going. These are so out of whack on this piece-- and a foreign language of course -- that I can't navigate the delay options in VLC. The keyboard keys of G and H move the delays plus or minus. But I've had no success and frankly don't know forward from backward.

So I did this: I started the movie. The first spoken lines on audio are at 00:01:40,000 seconds after a lot of production screens. I could find a more accurate timestamp if I extract the audio and put that in Audacity.

I extracted the subtitle to an SRT using Inviska from MKVtoolnix. The extracted subtile text shows first spoken line at : 00:00:50,138.

So what is the direction plus or minus on the subtitle keys? And how much in milliseconds?

It looks like a 50 second difference which would mean an adjustment of 5000 milliseconds.

I don't know up from down on the procedure.
loninapleton is offline   Reply With Quote