Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th May 2003, 00:03   #1  |  Link
RB
Retired

CCE FAQ Discussion

The new CCE FAQ is online and this is the place where we discuss it. Please post suggestions, questions, additions and anything else related to the CCE FAQ here. I'm also happy to correct spelling errors as English is not my native language

Thanks!
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2003, 18:57   #2  |  Link
RB
Retired

Thanks Bach, and done.
Old 21st May 2003, 19:51   #3  |  Link
Scipio
translation mod

You could make the questions at the beginning clickable.
Example: http://forum.doom9.de/showthread.php?s=&postid=227

Quote:
<a href="#Bitrate">Bitrate</a> <-- that's the link at the beginning

and then deep down in the FAQ you only have to add:
<a name="Bitrate"></a>Bitrate <-- that's the actual jump point (named anchor) where the link refers to

(this example doesn't work here, but on doom9.de it works of course)

Last edited by Scipio; 21st May 2003 at 19:54.
Scipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2003, 20:03   #4  |  Link
RB
Retired

Scipio, I would have done that in the first place, but as you said, HTML is not allowed here at all. Maybe this could be changed so it is at least allowed for Mods.
Old 23rd May 2003, 13:51   #5  |  Link
RB
Retired

Updated Q12 to include information for the CCE Premiere plugin. Thanks to tonyzhankaiyu.
Old 2nd June 2003, 14:06   #6  |  Link
snowbeach
Regional Support

Quote:
Q14.2: Why do I get a "Frame size XXXxYYY is not supported. Supported frame size is up to 720x576" error message or only a 10 seconds clip when I try to load an AVISynth script?

This indicates that there is an error in your AVISynth script. In this case AVISynth outputs not actual video but just a short clip displaying an error message. Depending on the length of the error message, the clip may also have a "non-standard" resolution like 852x52 and that's what CCE complains about. Open the script in VirtualDub to see the error message and fix your script. A good starting point for fixing script errors is the AVISynth Troubleshooting Guide.
I am not sure, if this is 100% right?! After installing first GKnot RipPack 0.28.2 and then CCE 2.67.00.10. Everything worked fine. Then installing the current build of DVD2SVCD 1.1.3 Build 2 incl. AutoFitCD, D2Sroba201, D2sccd and FitCD112 and encoding with CCE 2.5, after installing it at last, I got my 2 .mpg files. BTW. The 1st was 800 MB big, the second was not, ~523 MB.
After this encoding session I could not open any .avs scripts without the error mentioned above. Deinstalling the previous installed software and reinstalling only GKnot and CCE 2.67.00.10 the avs script, which is 100% correct, works again.
snowbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2003, 17:08   #7  |  Link
RB
Retired

Well, just do as I suggested and open the failing AVS in VirtualDub or MediaPlayer. What is the error message?
Old 2nd June 2003, 17:29   #8  |  Link
snowbeach
Regional Support

Did it, before reinstalling! And VirtualDubMod 1.5.1.1a build 1191 gave me the same error message as CCE! But the thing is that the .avs script,
Code:
LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\mpeg2dec3.dll")
mpeg2source("E:\DVD\Projects\VIDEO_TS_VTS_13_PGC1\VIDEO_TS.d2v")
crop(6,68,710,440)
LanczosResize(640,272)
as you can see, has no error! Reinstalling and using the same script everything worked again, of course.
No idea, why I got this problem. Probably there are some incompatibilities with GKnot and DVD2SVCD - having them both installed. Because both try to install the avisynth.dll to the system32 folder. Probably I got this problem, because I was encoding a movie with GKnot and, while encoding, I tried to install DVD2SVCD. Then I got from the DVD2SVCD setup routine an error message that it could not write the avisynth.dll to the system32 folder, because it is used. That is true, of course. But encoding afterwards with DVD2SVCD was no problem.

First I got the cannot write .ecl projectt error message, when using CCE 2.67.00.10, but if I had used your EclCCE instead of the original cce executable, I think I would not get this error message.

Then I tried CCE 2.5 with AutoFitCD and it has done its jobe good (only thing the smaller second mpg file ). After this encoding session I could not load any avs script anymore...

Since everything works again, I am very lazy to reproduce this error. Maybe I am going to try it, to reproduce it...

The only thing I want to say is that you can get this error message, even if you have a well working/error free avs script! In my case, I suppose that it is an software problem between GKnot and DVD2SVCD or that I tried to install DVD2SVCD while GKnot was using the avisynth.dll from the system32 folder.

Last edited by snowbeach; 2nd June 2003 at 17:34.
Old 2nd June 2003, 18:17   #9  |  Link
RB
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by snowbeach
The only thing I want to say is that you can get this error message, even if you have a well working/error free avs script!
No . The script may be syntactically correct but there may still be a mismatch between the plugins and the AVISynth version, which is the case here IMHO.

It looks like GKnot installed AVISynth 2.5 (mpeg2dec3.dll is an AVISynth 2.5 plugin) and when installing DVD2SVCD, you opted for installing AVISynth 2.08. Now you have AVISynth 2.08 installed and mpeg2dec3.dll can't be used as it is an AVISynth 2.5 plugin.
Old 2nd June 2003, 18:40   #10  |  Link
snowbeach
Regional Support

Yes, I am using with GKnot 0.28.2 AviSynth Plugin 2.5. But I think that I was installing DVD2SVCD with the same AVS Plugin... Not sure... If I can reproduce the error I am going to post it here!
Old 6th June 2003, 16:05   #11  |  Link
snowbeach
Regional Support

Reproduced the error. Used DVD2DVD-R and when I want to use GKnot for MPEG-4 encoding, I got this error message again. DVD2DVD-R is not using the AviSynth 2.5x Plugin, while GKnot does. So you have to change the AviSynth version in your .avs script to make it work again, or if you want to use the AviSynth 2.5x version you will have to reinstall it. Is there another solution to make AviSynth 2.5x work again, withour reinstalling it?
Old 8th June 2003, 12:12   #12  |  Link
Tantabootsy

Cool FAQ!! This forum is getting better and better, the programs too ;-)

..you are who you eat.
Tantabootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2003, 14:14   #13  |  Link
DDogg
Retired, but still around

Damn, RB, the work you have done on this faq is downright amazing. Superior in every way. Thanks, we sure needed it.
DDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2003, 06:14   #14  |  Link
JimBryce

I agree RB, the FAQ is fantastic! Very well done indeed.

These next questions aren't meant to be a "but" to my first statement—I stand by what I said—instead they are just questions I have from reading the FAQ and my own experience with "CCE" and "eclCCE" (both of which are fine products as I've said before...):

1> In "Q14.1" you seem to indicate that "CCE v2.50" is the only version that needs the "AddAudio()" fix, then in "Q14.4" you indicate that the memory leaks in "CCE v2.66/2.67" are from the same problem and to use the "AddAudio()" fix. But from the "eclCCE.pdf" and this thread I thought the problem had something to do with the Chapter list, encode range and per-file audio options in the ecl and that the fix was adding "ChapterList=0" to the "eclCCE.ini"? Is it both? If I'm using "CCE v2.67" can I leave the "AddAudio()" off? Not that that's a big deal, but I'm curious...

2> In "Q14.2" you only mention the cause of that error as an avisynth script error but there is also a problem with one of the plugins (either "LoadPluginEx.dll" or "warpsharp.dll", I don't remember which and I don't have the time right now to find the thread-though I will if you want me to) that will cause that problem—it was in my case in particular—so perhaps you might want to include that solution as well.

Thanks again for all your help and good work. You've become one of the main people I can count on to have an answer when I've exhausted all other sources!

Jim
"Guam: Where America's Day Begins!"
JimBryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2003, 15:02   #15  |  Link
RB
Retired

As for Q14.1, the thread you mention discusses only the problem with leaked memory when opening/closing the CCE Chapter List dialog. But it turns out that additionally, CCE leaks memory during the actual multipass encoding. AddAudio() fixes both issues and yes, you also need it for CCE 2.67. I think now that we know how to fix it, I could remove the support for the ChapterList=0 setting. But maybe not

And maybe Q14.2 should state more generally that this error message is the result of some AVISynth problem. I don't think we should discuss the specific possible reasons for it in the FAQ, because, well, it's an AVISynth and not a CCE problem.
Old 18th June 2003, 15:56   #16  |  Link
JimBryce

Leaving the support for "ChapterList=0" setting is probably a good idea, especially since it doesn't have any negative impact (e.g. speed) other than what it's supposed to do and it does help with the problem.

Same for the "AddAudio()", especially since it might help to prevent problems and doesn't cost anything to use it.

As for "Q14.2" don't you think a little help should be given? Even if it's just a link to the part of the forum where those problems are discussed. When encountering that error, the first reaction is to think "CCE", so if someone goes to the "CCE FAQ" to look for an answer and all they get is "it's an avisynth problem", that seems rather cold. Maybe just a little hint?

Well, that's my couple of minutes worth—all I could think of that might be useful for the "CCE FAQ" after thinking about it for a while. Since I'm still relatively new to "CCE" if I come across a problem and can't get the answer from the "CCE FAQ", I'll try and find the answer then show you both and see what you think about adding them. You've done a great job!

ps. I'm not opposed to doing some of the "finger-work" (searching the forum to see if an answer already exists or similar) for you if it will help. You've always been very good at helping everyone, not just me, and I don't mind some payback. Let me know.

Jim
"Guam: Where America's Day Begins!"
JimBryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2003, 08:12   #17  |  Link
tonyzhankaiyu

Quote start:
Q7: if the interlaced material is "bff" (bottom field first) like most DV camera footage is, check "Upper Field First" in Video settings (CCE-SP 2.50/CCE-SP 2.66), set "Offset Line" to 1 (CCE-SP 2.67/CCE-Basic). If you are encoding progressive or tff interlaced material, always deactivate "Upper Field First"/set "Offset Line" to 0. We'll talk more about this in Q10.

Q10: Always uncheck "Upper Field First" unless your video is interlaced AND bottom field first. Progressive material is always top field first.

Q10: Uncheck "Upper Field First" and encode bff video directly. Then use ReStream to clear the top field first flag in the MPV file CCE generated. Load the MPV into ReStream, uncheck "top field first" and click "Write!".

Q11: Always set "Offset Line" to 0 unless your video is interlaced AND bottom field first in which case you set it to 1. Progressive material is always top field first.

Quote end.

RB,
Above quote from your CCE FAQ. For interlaced source I have different points from yours.
I personally uncheck "Upper field First" (2.66) and set "Offset Line" to 0 (2.67) for my DV AVI(interlaced, Bottom field first). After encode it to M2V, I use Changer.exe(Free, by Darim Vision co.) to replace tff with bff. Changer.exe just change the M2V not write a new file to save lots of disk space.

I am a PAL user, I did few test to prove it: use BMP with only one pixel-high line at the top to create a MS DV AVI, let CCE SP encode it with different tff setting. I got above conclusion.

Would you please re-confirm this setting?

tonyzhankaiyu
Old 25th June 2003, 13:33   #18  |  Link
RB
Retired

Well, Changer appears to do the same thing as Restream as suggested in Q10. So you should be fine.
Old 14th December 2003, 18:54   #19  |  Link
Black Hole

While answering an user question in the Spanish Doom9 forum, about the old CRC error in CCE 2.50, I took a time to read the FAQ again. I though that the Spanish translator of the FAQ (TuCo) missed the point, but now I realize that your new updated version of the FAQ has removed the reference to the CRC Patch in Q8.

I have read about people commenting it was just an AMD failure, but it happened to me in my old Intel Celeron. Now it seems that every time you get a CRC error you should start to get worried about the quality of your memory modules. I think this is wrong.

We should remember that when we started using CCE 2.50, we used old DivX codecs to feed frames. These codecs were far from perfect and they didn't decode the MPEG4 frame exactly the same way. Furthermore, if we used DirectShowSource() instead of an AVISource() approach, the postprocessing effects such as deblocking, deringing and noise generator were randomly generated ... so the frames could never be the same again.

I realized this when I converted a clip to HuffYUV and an unpatched original CCE 2.50 stopped complaining about CRC error ... obviously I didn't have memory errors. For example, if we configure ffdshow to decode DivX content and force it to apply postprocessing, we would also find that the second pass frames are different from the first pass ones.

So I think the link to CCE CRC Patch (I am NOT talking about a crack) should be inserted again in the FAQ. I didn't have the time myself to test that patch, so I don't know if it cracked the program. I think that an illegal patch wouldn't have been included in the old FAQ itself, would it?

So ... what do you think about this? Anyway, the patch is still listed in Q27 of the official DVD2SVCD Doom9 FAQ

Last edited by Black Hole; 14th December 2003 at 19:14.
Black Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2003, 17:29   #20  |  Link
JazzySOB

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about Q11 of the CCE Faq:

Quote:
So here is the rule of thumb: Always uncheck "Upper Field First" unless your video is interlaced AND bottom field first. Progressive material is always top field first.
I see that Progressive material is always "top field first", but doesn't that have the same meaning as "Upper Field First"? And thus should I check "Upper Field First" when I want to encode a progressive DVD? Simply because I think "up" is the same as "top"..

But my english is not that well so maybe that's the cause of the misunderstanding

Thanks
JazzySOB is offline   Reply With Quote