Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > NLE - Non Linear Editing

Old 8th August 2023, 17:54   #1  |  Link
g0ren

Best way to apply 3:2 pulldown in Premiere?

Hi there, I have an episode of a show that was cut in 23.976 and I'm wondering which might be the best way to apply 3:2 pulldown for broadcast/home video. Would I be better off just slapping the whole thing (as one video) into a 1080i/29.97 timeline and exporting it or using the original clips and basically copy and pasting the shots from the 23.976 timeline into a new one?

I notice that when I use it as one video, some of the cuts end up having a field showing one shot and one field showing another.(see interlacing example.jpg)*

If I use the shots directly on the timeline, I can avoid that, but does that mess up the cadence?

Thanks in advance for any help!

*(Note, the examples used are stock footage, I can't show the real thing I'm working on.)
Attached Images

g0ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2023, 10:31   #2  |  Link
kolak

This is normal that you have mixed frames on scene cuts. With perfect 1 cadence pulldown there is no other way (and it should not produce any harm when processed/deinterlaced properly at final display).
Hard pulldown is not very good and should be always applied at last stage- before final "delivery/watch". Any masters with hard pulldown should be processed by removing it first, then editing and then applying if needed again. Do not edit files with pulldown applied as this cause problems on final masters.
In Premiere you ca edit in 23.976p timeline and the during export you can add it by setting fps to 29.97 interlaced (make sure time interpolation is Frame Sampling).

Last edited by kolak; 11th August 2023 at 10:34.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe, premiere, pro, pulldown