Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 15th November 2008, 22:31   #1  |  Link
quantum

SupRip Support Thread

SupRip (not to be confused with SubRip) is a program that OCR's Blu-ray and HD-DVD formatted SUP files (such as those exported by eac3to), and can then export SRT formatted subtitle files that can be muxed into MKV or other containers, or read as external subtitles by compatible players.

The author (not me) has a site here:
http://exar.ch/suprip/

This program is the first one I use when I build an MKV and I want subtitles.

Please put SupRip related posts in this thread, to help the author and others, so they don't have to sift through the confusing mass of the current sticky threads.

Last edited by quantum; 13th January 2009 at 03:48.
quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2008, 22:48   #2  |  Link
quantum

In AVPR - Aliens vs Predator - Requiem Blu-ray, the english letter k keeps getting split down the middle. I couldn't find a low enough "Character Split Tolerance" to fix this, and the lowest value 1 also caused problems with other characters.

If there was no other fix, it would be nice if I could force the program to recognize what it thinks as two letters, to what I want it to be. For example, it thinks it finds L+whatever, I force that to be recognized as 'k'.

@Taktaal I sent you a PM with a link to the SUP file, in case you want to try it.

Last edited by quantum; 16th November 2008 at 02:13.
Old 16th November 2008, 15:52   #3  |  Link
rica

quantum, thanks for opening this thread.

How can i reset the memory of suprip?
Removing application and reloading back doesn't fix the issue.
Some characters can not be re-teached to SupRip if they have been teached as false at the first teaching process.
So i can not re-teach them as true.

I think SupRip is saving the learned characters in somewhere.
So how can i clean the memory?

EDIT: OK, i've found it; deleting "temp.font.txt" under C > Users > rica > App.Data > Roaming > SupRip fixed the issue.

Last edited by rica; 17th November 2008 at 00:53.
rica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 01:13   #4  |  Link
Taktaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
In AVPR - Aliens vs Predator - Requiem Blu-ray, the english letter k keeps getting split down the middle. I couldn't find a low enough "Character Split Tolerance" to fix this, and the lowest value 1 also caused problems with other characters.

If there was no other fix, it would be nice if I could force the program to recognize what it thinks as two letters, to what I want it to be. For example, it thinks it finds L+whatever, I force that to be recognized as 'k'.

@Taktaal I sent you a PM with a link to the SUP file, in case you want to try it.
I really like the font in that subtitle, it seems like a more elegant Calibri

Unfortunately my usual sources can't identify the font

As to the problem with the k, I'm working on it and it doesn't seem too difficult to finally make the letter splitting algorithm a bit better.
Taktaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 05:10   #5  |  Link
quantum

Thanks for looking into the letter splitting issue.

I've sent a PM with some new Blu-ray samples:

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

I don't know if I did something wrong, but these are not recognized correctly by SupRip. The picture images are correctly displayed, but the recognition is way off, to the point where it's impossible to correct.

These also don't seem to work when exporting from Supread to import into Subtitle Creator, so maybe they're corrupt?

They were dumuxed with Eac3to.

Last edited by quantum; 17th November 2008 at 05:13.
Old 17th November 2008, 18:45   #6  |  Link
avivahl

How about providing support for Sup files extracted from DVDs? or at least giving a proper message saying it's not supported (instead of crashing)...?
avivahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 21:36   #7  |  Link
Emp3r0r

SupRip seems to automatically detect all lowercase 's' as uppercase 'S' before any training. This also occurs on lowercase 'c' and 'v'. Therefore, you can't train it the correct lowercase versions of these letters. Can this be fixed? Is the source code available for this application?
Old 19th November 2008, 18:01   #8  |  Link
Taktaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by avivahl View Post
How about providing support for Sup files extracted from DVDs? or at least giving a proper message saying it's not supported (instead of crashing)...?
If an incompatible file is opened, the program should throw an error message "Couldn't open file xxx. Maybe it's not a HD-DVD file?" I improved the error message a bit for the next version, but the file detection code should already work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emp3r0r View Post
SupRip seems to automatically detect all lowercase 's' as uppercase 'S' before any training. This also occurs on lowercase 'c' and 'v'. Therefore, you can't train it the correct lowercase versions of these letters. Can this be fixed? Is the source code available for this application?
I think it's probably an error in the user entered font.
Try going to the folder "%appdata%\suprip" (enter that into Start->Run) and deleting the temp font file there.
Old 19th November 2008, 18:46   #9  |  Link
avivahl

Well, now I'm sorry I didn't keep that sup file (nor do I remember from which DVD it came). I'll try a few DVD sup files when I'll test the next version. I wonder... do you plan on adding support for such files?
avivahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 21:01   #10  |  Link
Emp3r0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taktaal View Post
I think it's probably an error in the user entered font.
Try going to the folder "%appdata%\suprip" (enter that into Start->Run) and deleting the temp font file there.
I've already tried this. Maybe I need to reboot?

I uploaded the file here: http://jvance.com/files/ForKingEnSup.zip (7zip)

Last edited by Emp3r0r; 19th November 2008 at 21:19.
Emp3r0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2008, 22:31   #11  |  Link
iNT

Wierd White Line!

SupRip is generating this white line. And as a result, the characters directly below this white line are not recognized as characters by SupRip.

I've bordered the problem in "red". As you can see i can't OCR "Th".

I've bordered the problem below in "red" as well. This is a more serious case, where an entire line is neglected.

I've tried different parameters (Space Width, Character Split Tolerance & Character Similarity Tolerance) but i didn't get any improvements.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by iNT; 24th November 2008 at 22:47.
iNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2008, 22:45   #12  |  Link
menlvd

iNT same things
only with finereader i'll can ocr and then convert to srt
menlvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 23:09   #13  |  Link
saint-francis
too much lurking

SUprip issue with aBD .sup.

Samples are here. Any ideas?

Edit:
An interesting side note might be that the subtitles aren't displayed "normally" when played from the source. By this I mean that instead of having solid color they are kind of transparent.

Last edited by saint-francis; 1st December 2008 at 23:15.
saint-francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 21:53   #14  |  Link
legoholic

As this seems to be the official(?) support thread for SupRip, I'll post my problem here. If there is a more suitable place, please direct me to it

I regularly convert blu-ray's for use over home network from a fileserver to a popcornhour. As the popcornhour unfortunately has no support at the moment for PGS streams, I have to convert the sup files (demuxed with tsmuxergui) to srt files.

Most of the time SupRip copes just fine with a little assistance. However I have several movies where SupRip chokes on the file. For instance the sup file of "Michael Clayton" is not even loaded, as it is roughly 1.5Gb in size, and there is a hard limit of 1.0Gb.

One of the streams of "Asterix and the Vikings" crashes on loading it:

************* Exception Text **************
System.Exception: Exception of type 'SupRip.SubtitleImage+EndOfImageReachedException' was thrown.

at SupRip.SubtitleImage.ColumnContainsPixels(Byte[,] image, Int32 column, Int32 limit, Int32 y1, Int32 y2)
at SupRip.SubtitleImage.ColumnContainsPixels(Byte[,] image, Int32 column, Int32 limit, Double angle, Int32 y1, Int32 y2)
at SupRip.SubtitleImage.FindLetters()
at SupRip.SubtitleImage.CreateSubtitleArray()
at SupRip.SubtitleImage..ctor(Bitmap source)
at SupRip.SubtitleFile.GetSubtitleImage(Int32 n)
at SupRip.MainForm.LoadSubtitleImage(Int32 number)
at SupRip.MainForm.LoadSubtitleImage(Int32 number)
at SupRip.MainForm.LoadSubtitleFile(String fileName)
at SupRip.MainForm.loadButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

And an other stream of the same movie crashed halfway through.

So the question is, is there a known work-around for the > 1Gb files? Is there source available somewhere (could not find it) to take a look at why it's crashing. Or somebody who does have code and is willing to examine not working files?
legoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 22:46   #15  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

a gigabyte sup file? I did even know that was possible. If you demux the sup file with eac3to, is it also 1 gb?
Old 7th December 2008, 23:34   #16  |  Link
legoholic

just tried it, exactly the same size:

1,604,919,099 bytes..
Old 8th December 2008, 00:45   #17  |  Link
rica

What?????
rica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 01:52   #18  |  Link
legoholic

some more information:

supread loads it and reports "Blu-ray presentation graphics found.
33836 subtitles loaded."

When I do "save bitmaps" not all files saved contain text, and the ones that contain text are duplicated many times.

ie. "Micheal, mijn beste Michael" the first line in the movie is displayed on line0002.png, line0003.png all the way to line0026.png

that's about a second at 24fps, so I assume the stream contains a picture for every frame it is displaying a subtitle. (or something like that).

if that's true, that also means a regular suprip wont work anyway. as it will find thousands of duplicates.

it'll have to do some sort of concatenation of consecutive identical subtitles.
Old 8th December 2008, 08:10   #19  |  Link
shroomM

I have the same problem with a different movie... a bluray version of "To kill a king".

No matter with which program I try, the demuxed sup is roughly 500mb in size, the subtitles are repeated multiple times and the timings make no sense.

If anyone needs any debugging info, just let me know what I can do, I can probably put the sup file online on an FTP if anyone needs it. PM if needed.
shroomM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 21:51   #20  |  Link
Taktaal

I just posted a new version 1.10 that fixed a lot of errors mentioned earlier by quantum, avivahl and iNT.

I also removed the size restrictions. There seems to be a really stupid Bluray authoring software out there that loves splitting subtitles into dozens of completely identical images. That is actually what is in the file, not a bug in my software. It's even greater when you consider that .sup files only compress within each separate frame, so 100 identical subtitle images also use up 100 times the space. And even on a 20 gig Bluray, 1.5gig subtitles hurt. If cases like that get more popular in the future I'll have to put in some deduplication feature into Suprip.

Tags
suprip