Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software

Old 6th December 2021, 21:05   #1  |  Link
MalickT

Why HDD keeps spinning up while in idle Windows 10?

I have SSD for windows (Clean install) and 12TB HDD (internal SATA) that contains pictures, videos etc. In power management I have set to turn off HDD-s after 10 minutes in idle.

Yes, the HDD mostly spins down after 10 minutes but wakes up again 5-10 minutes later. WHY?

I have tried HDDScan and other similar software to spin the HDD down but it just keep waking up again in 5 minutes or so.

I also have tried to completely take the HDD offline in Disk Management but it still spins up. As soon as HDD spins up it does very little HDD activity.

I have tried to trun off real-time protection in Windows Defender, assuming Windows Defender is the cause that scans HDD-s for what ever while PC is in idle - no luck

I did not have this issue in Windows 7. And its not the HDD, the same issue with other HDD-s I have tried.

The thing is that my HDD is 7200 RPM and makes noise!

In BIOS im using ACHI mode.

Any advice?
MalickT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2021, 21:13   #2  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Photos will try and create albums for you. It constantly accesses the drives. There may also be other Windows apps working in the background like this.

QB
Old 7th December 2021, 13:00   #3  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

If you have a 2nd monitor, run DebugView on that monitor, [by M$, Google it] (or have it running in background),
you may see that Dism (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) runs every now and then.
You may find that there is Debugview Dism activity when your HD wakes up.
(HD scan, might well be related to Windows Update amongst other things, eg W10 spyware {there seems to always be a little internet activity when it happens})
DISM:- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...iew=windows-11

EDIT: DebugView:- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...oads/debugview

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 7th December 2021 at 13:55.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2021, 14:31   #4  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

Just check the scheduled tasks, you'll see lots of stuff there are set to run after your system goes idle.

Last edited by VoodooFX; 7th December 2021 at 21:49.
VoodooFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2021, 21:31   #5  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Filesystem has to do its job always (ntdll.dll)
Indexing ? Stop that service if you can. Services -> Windows Search -> Deactivate.
If you can at all under Win10 I don't know yet, I don't have Win10 here at the moment, but I have to bite that bullet in a few days...
And under Win10 there is said to be more than that.

P.S. An here I am, sitting in the same clumsy boat, Win10 is.
While copying my data Windows Malwaredetection uses 1 of 8 cores i9-11900K fully up 100%,
letting fans speed up to the max. eating power, killing lots of Nirsoft diagnosis tools on the fly.
Even later being in idle: the same: CPU clock soaring up to 5,2GHz for nothing but...sheesh.
Will take weeks before I can start to work as ususal. Windows Search off, then gnaw my way through...

Last edited by Emulgator; 11th December 2021 at 13:48.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote