Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 1st July 2008, 01:05   #1  |  Link
nitricpyro

DVDFab 5 - VirtualDubMod - Audio Issues

This concerns "The Water Horse" R1 DVDFab 5 and VirtualDubMod

I ripped this movie using DVDFab 5 (latest version) onto my harddrive. When I use the "Movie Only" option I get 4 vob files with the movie in them. I am attempting to create a DivX encoded video for my media center.

When I import these files directly into VirtualDubMod the there is a delay in the audio that gets worse the further into the movie I get. (as in 1st vob to second, to third etc.)

I have been told that DVDFab 5 is the most up to date ripping program and can easily and properly process the DVD. (From other posts)

Why is VirtualDubMod (or DVDFab 5) introducing a delay in the audio if it was correctly ripped?

(The exact same thing happens when I used RipIt4Me)

Last edited by nitricpyro; 1st July 2008 at 01:06. Reason: Additional Thoughts...
nitricpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 03:01   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

In another thread that you started also regarding synch problems, you've stated that you are going to reinstall your system and only those other things that were needed - and would not reinstall "a bunch of codecs".

If you haven't as yet cleaned up your system (and thereby resolved, hopefully, the problem) there's really no point in try to perform more rips...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 04:01   #3  |  Link
nitricpyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
In another thread that you started also regarding synch problems, you've stated that you are going to reinstall your system and only those other things that were needed - and would not reinstall "a bunch of codecs".

If you haven't as yet cleaned up your system (and thereby resolved, hopefully, the problem) there's really no point in try to perform more rips...
Is every sync issue the same?

Last edited by nitricpyro; 1st July 2008 at 04:05.
Old 1st July 2008, 04:07   #4  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
Is every sync issue the same?
Not necessarily, but until you know that you've properly cleaned up your system, it's not too wise to continue generating and posting about similar, or perhaps the same, problems...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 04:07   #5  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitricpyro View Post
When I use the "Movie Only" option I get 4 vob files with the movie in them... When I import these files directly into VirtualDubMod
How do you import multiple VOBs into VirtualDubMod?

As I explained in another thread, VirtualDubMod does not honor pulldown flags and that can cause AV sync problems.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 04:56   #6  |  Link
nitricpyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
Not necessarily, but until you know that you've properly cleaned up your system, it's not too wise to continue generating and posting about similar, or perhaps the same, problems...
This is after the clean install...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
How do you import multiple VOBs into VirtualDubMod?
You can't, I was referring to each one individually. For instance the first VOB starts at 0000ms and gets to probably like 500ms at the end while VOB 4 starts at around 3000ms etc. so It's progressive, but there is no sign of it in previous programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
As I explained in another thread, VirtualDubMod does not honor pulldown flags and that can cause AV sync problems.
Indeed, very insightful... is this to say DVD Shrink does honor pulldown flags, and I should continue to use the program when I find it useful? (I have been told otherwise) Also, and my ignorance about pulldown flags will show here, by producing a different vob file are these pull-down flags put into the new file and used by the next program or are they dealt with in the way that copy protection is "dealt" with and does not require the next program to have that functionality?
Old 1st July 2008, 14:27   #7  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitricpyro View Post
Indeed, very insightful... is this to say DVD Shrink does honor pulldown flags, and I should continue to use the program when I find it useful?
No. It is to say that VirtualDubMod does not honor them and when you encode with VirtualDubMod you create an AVI that cannot carry pulldown flags. DVD Shrink does not alter the pulldown of the M2V video stream as far as I am aware.

If the pulldown is regular and constant throughout the movie then it won't matter but if it is not then VirtualDubMod will ruin the sync.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 20:23   #8  |  Link
nitricpyro

Exactly my problem...

This was it exactly... I ran three encodes last night with Honor, Ignore, and Forced Film. (Using your suggest program, an update to what was causing the problem in the very beginning) Exactly as you suggested by ignoring the Pulldown Flags the sync was very wrong. Thank you for your help, I will continue to look into this.
Old 2nd July 2008, 07:11   #9  |  Link
Aiden04

Hi nitricpyro,
Hi sorry I cannot help you because I don't have any idea about this matter.
Thanks!

Tags
dvdfab 5, sync error, the water horse, virtualdubmod