Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 5th January 2023, 14:55   #1  |  Link
bredboi

Where is Blu-ray PiP (Picture-in-Picture) data/metadata?

I'm currently exploring the possibility of keeping Blu-ray PiP tracks by overlaying the secondary video/audio tracks onto the primary ones and therefore creating a standard video file which can be played back on any player and easily put onto my media server etc. I've looked around and there's a bunch of discussion around playing back PiP tracks just as-is (i.e. with a primary/secondary video track) but I've seen nothing about what I'm trying to do.

I can pretty easily get hold of the PiP video and audio tracks using mkvtoolnix, so that isnt a problem. instead the problem lies in the fact that PiP tracks are not displayed for the entire length of the main feature, instead turning on/off, as well as being able to move to different locations on the frame (usually just the corners).

I could watch through the PiP feature and note down all these intricacies and then manually do everything but that'd take a hell of a lot of time and ideally I'd like to do this to all my Blu-rays with PiP and I know I'd just give up.

I've looked into using ffmpeg with filters to detect audio silence and black frames to determine where to lower the audio volume and display the PiP video, but from my experiments so far that might be not perfect and i still lose the PiP location.

A perfect solution would be to extract the PiP metadata from the Blu-ray (I have/can make decrypted backups so I can access all the files) and feed that into a script which can recreate the PiP feature pretty much exactly as it is on the disc. And so, I would like help in determining where to find and maybe how to extract this data. I've looked through the files myself but I'll be honest, I'm not really sure what I'm doing and I haven't found anything.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance
bredboi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blu-ray, picture in picture