Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22nd January 2014, 23:10   #1  |  Link
mugz

Audio/Video Sync Problem

I'm trying to do a re-encode of an mkv/x264/AAC video that has been up-scaled to 960/720 and de-interlaced but still has combing, aliasing, banding and rainbow artifacts and is telecined.

Getting the original source is not an option - I've searched everywhere and I believe the original source was deleted years ago by mistake.

About a year ago I made a new re-encode with Handbrake that that fixed everything except the aliasing and rainbows. I've since been learning to use AviSynth.

The new re-encode AviSynth looks great! MUCH better than the other two copies I have. The problem is the video is playing faster than the audio for much of the time, then gradually slows down and they both catch up in sync at the end.

It's driving me crazy trying to figure out why this is happening. The video and audio are perfectly in sync with on the Handbrake re-encode, (I use auto-passthru and leave the audio untouched). I even tried transcoding the AAC to AC3 using Audacity to see if it might be some sort of problem with the audio - and the AC3 file plays fine with the Handbrake re-encode, but not with the AviSynth re-encode.

Handbrake is doing "something" to keep them in-sync that is missing from my AviSynth script, or in my codec settings, or in the way I'm merging them using mkvmerge, (I tried adding a timecodes v1 file with mkvmerge, using 23.976 as the assumed fps).

Here is a copy of my AviSynth Script in case anyone needs to see it:

http://pastebin.com/feT74HrW

Anyone have insights as to what's going on and how Handbrake might be keeping them in sync?

Tags
audio, sync