Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 19th November 2002, 14:46   #41  |  Link
cult

@Kaiousama
try to run regsvr32 for this dll...
cult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2002, 18:12   #42  |  Link
Kaiousama
Italian Doom9 Staff

@cult: Thanks, now all's going right! (what a lazy am i? )

@ nytrogen: can you add or even specify that the msstdfmt.dll is required for running the program, on your site? (because i've tested it's not my computer fault the deficency of this dll, because the standard istallation of winXP e win98 doesnt install this file, like the tabctl32.ocx)

Bye

Last edited by Kaiousama; 19th November 2002 at 18:15.
Kaiousama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2002, 20:23   #43  |  Link
NiTroGen
aka Νικόλαος

@Kaiousama:

The full installation package of version 1.40 was flawed. If you install the full installation package of version 1.20 and then update to v1.51 there is no problem. I've made a new full package of version 1.51, but for some weird reason I cannot upload it to the site. So if anyone needs "msstdfmt.dll", I've attached it below (you can also find it here). Don't forget to "regsvr32" it!

Edit by Swede: I removed the attachment since I'm not really sure it's legit to redistribute it. I could be wrong though and if this is the case I'll put it back.
Old 20th November 2002, 21:52   #44  |  Link
Tester

@NiTroGen

hi,

i've testet your program with lord of the rings (special extendet).
3:38h on 3 CD's. The result was very great. Almost perfect image quality and only 180 kb size deviation on 1.9 GB :-)

One question: The "press me" button in the "linear curve scaling" register sets (beside other values...) the bitrate payback delay to 1.
What does this mean? Using the StatsReader of Koepi, he does not mention to set this to 1 (only disabling alt-cc, and set i-frame boost / low/high distance to 0, like yours)

THX

Tester
Tester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2002, 14:30   #45  |  Link
NiTroGen
aka Νικόλαος

@Tester:
I'm not an XviD guru (yet!) and I'm still trying to figure what each option does and how it affects the encoding process, so instead of explaining how payback delay works, I'll quote here a small part of Koepi's XviD Options Explained document.
Quote:
The curve compression is controlling the "smoothness" of the scaled bitrate curve. If you set curve compression low/high to 0, you'll disable it, having "perfect VBR" (you have to set payback delay to 1 then as well).
Payback delay is the number of frames which should be used to compensate for under- or overuse of bits
Because we need a "perfect VBR" when we use the linear curve compression, I set payback delay to 1 as well.
Old 22nd November 2002, 14:36   #46  |  Link
Koepi

Well, I have to update that info, sorry for the mess!

For perfect VBR, the bitrate achieved for each frame _must_ be the one we predicted. This is very hard to do, and due to some features in xvid simply impossible - therefore this "leaky bucket" overflow system.

Setting payback delay to 1 isn't really closer to perfect VBR as it degrades some frames seriously - it's just a theory made up of an incomplete model (ask dr. google about creating models of the reality and interpreting the results), so reality is: set it to 10-12 seconds, for PAL: 250-300, for FILM 240-264, for NTSC 300-360, it will sure help picture quality.

I hope this helps.
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2002, 16:16   #47  |  Link
NiTroGen
aka Νικόλαος

What about the payback method? Should it be with bias to small frames or not, when trying to achieve the best linear downscaling?
Old 22nd November 2002, 17:28   #48  |  Link
Koepi

i prefer bias. i think i wrote that in the statsreader thread.
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2002, 22:51   #49  |  Link
Tester

well, I testet 2 encodes with lord of the rings (pal 25 fps) with following settings

disable alt-cc
i-frame bosst: 0
low/high bitrate scenes: 0
quant: 2 - 31 (i, p)
h.263 (both passes)
i-frame: 250, 6

But the first time with bitrate payback 250, and second time with 1 (both bias)

I have the impression that the second one is better and more constant in quality.

final size: 1909000kb
Size deviation of first encode: 186kb
Size deviation of second encode: 1688kb

Is the only disadvantage of setting payback to 1 the size deviation?

@koepi: are these settings usefull also for your newer builds (21.11.2001) and with new functions like qpel and b-frames, or can I use StatsReader, too?
Tester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2002, 08:38   #50  |  Link
NiTroGen
aka Νικόλαος

New Version

OK, new version is up! Now skipped frames can be reported too, and payback delay does not change when you press the "press me" button. And the installation package is different now. VB6's installation system is used, instead of NSIS, and all nessecary DLLs & OCXs are included, except the VB6 runtime libraries of course.

Download the new version here. VB6 runtime DLLs can be found here.
Old 27th November 2002, 09:24   #51  |  Link
The Link

Bug?

I get a runtime error 424 when loading a stats-file! I have installed VB6 runtime before.

Regards,

The Link

The Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2002, 18:03   #52  |  Link
NiTroGen
aka Νικόλαος

Re: Bug?

Quote:
Originally posted by The Link
I get a runtime error 424 when loading a stats-file! I have installed VB6 runtime before.

Regards,

The Link
OK, I've fixed this bug and attached the new executable file. Copy it over the old one.

Last edited by NiTroGen; 19th February 2003 at 01:47.
NiTroGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2003, 17:53   #53  |  Link
NiTroGen
aka Νικόλαος

Updated to version 1.60

StatsViewer is updated to version 1.60
Quote:
Change log:

+ Added a frame listing window. (Really slow output!!!)
+ Added some presets of XviD settings. Looking forward to your comments, suggestions, etc...
+ Added some simple calculation routines for estimated video size, bits*(pixel/frame), etc...
* Refresh button moved outside the tab panel for easier access.
* Some small bugs fixed.
- Linear curve compression function was removed, because of its implementation in the XviD codec.
As you can see, I have removed the curve scaling function. Now you can find some setting presets, which are automatically set by the press of a button: Linear Curve Scaling (the well-known compression), Normal Curve Scaling for low motion movies (gives a low/high compression of 10%/10%), Alt.Curve Compression (gives a low/high of 100/1000 if no stats file is loaded and the suggested settings if a stats file is loaded).
If you have some presets of your own of some suggestions to make, please post in this topic.

You can find the new version on the Official Site or attached below (please wait to be approved by the moderators).
Old 16th February 2003, 18:00   #54  |  Link
OBcecado
LuLz

Thanks for that new release, Is it safe to use it with b-frames now ?
Keep up the good work.

Best regards.
OBcecado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2003, 18:33   #55  |  Link
OBcecado
LuLz

I think I've found a bug...
In frame size graph, when the Frame Information button is pressed I get a error message saying : Run-time error '30006': Unable to allocate memory for flexgrid.
OBcecado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2003, 23:45   #56  |  Link
NiTroGen
aka Νικόλαος

Quote:
Originally posted by OBcecado
Is it safe to use it with b-frames now ?
Yes it is, because it lets XviD handle the curve and does not alter the stats file.

Quote:
Originally posted by OBcecado
I think I've found a bug...
In frame size graph, when the Frame Information button is pressed I get a error message saying : Run-time error '30006': Unable to allocate memory for flexgrid.
I haven't tested with a "large" stats file. My stats contained about 20000 frames. I'll finish an encode of a full movie tomorrow (about 190000 frames) to check your report.
Old 18th February 2003, 08:13   #57  |  Link
ookzDVD
DVD Rebuilder!

@Nitrogen,

The latest v1.6 is awesome!
ookzDVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2003, 10:16   #58  |  Link
azra28

Is someone could get me an adress because I can't acces to site
azra28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2003, 17:55   #59  |  Link
cult