Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st March 2005, 23:33   #2021  |  Link
Zarxrax

I dunno if Gabest will ever read this, or if anyone else would ever implement it, but I have a feature request regardless.

It would be great if there were a place where you could set the size of a playback buffer. MPC would render frames into this buffer as fast as it possibly can, trying to keep the buffer full at all times, then they would simply be pulled from the buffer and displayed as necessary. Also it would fill the buffer immediately upon loading or seeking in a file, and begin playing once the buffer is filled.

Theoretically, this would greatly improve performance for videos that cant normally be played back without dropping frames. In practice, I dont know if this would really work, as im not a programmer. Seems like it would though. It really sucks when you cant watch a video without reencoding it because your processor isnt fast enough
Zarxrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2005, 11:07   #2022  |  Link
spectra

Quote:
Originally posted by celtic_druid
dx shader, dsm muxer, plus muxing util, etc.
In other words it is bigger because it has more features.
sadly still no fixed localfile .asx support

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/inde...03&atid=565649

Last edited by spectra; 2nd March 2005 at 11:16.
spectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2005, 11:32   #2023  |  Link
FredThompson

Quote:
Originally posted by Zarxrax It really sucks when you cant watch a video without reencoding it because your processor isnt fast enough
You're close enough I could almost walk up to you and say, "buy a new CPU!!" :P

Seriously, the time to write and debug such an optimization, which is easier said than done, far exceeds the cost of a new mobo and CPU.
Old 2nd March 2005, 13:08   #2024  |  Link
fewtch

Quote:
Originally posted by Zarxrax
Theoretically, this would greatly improve performance for videos that cant normally be played back without dropping frames. In practice, I dont know if this would really work, as im not a programmer. Seems like it would though. It really sucks when you cant watch a video without reencoding it because your processor isnt fast enough
What's your processor speed? I'm running an Athlon Thunderbird 1.2GHz and really haven't found anything it's too slow to play (I'm still thinking about upgrading later this summer or next fall ). IMO, 1GHz should really be considered a minimum these days...

Video card could have something to do with this as well.

Last edited by fewtch; 2nd March 2005 at 13:13.
fewtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2005, 15:31   #2025  |  Link
Zarxrax

I have a P4 2.26Ghz. DVD-rips arent the only kind of video files out there ;p

A 60fps 640x480 video that I have created drops pretty much most of the frames. I shudder to even think how HD video would perform.
Old 2nd March 2005, 17:29   #2026  |  Link
fewtch

Quote:
I have a P4 2.26Ghz. DVD-rips arent the only kind of video files out there ;p
I know, but still haven't found anything that massively drops frames on my PC. At worst, a few things may be a little jerky from time to time (but it isn't common).
Quote:

A 60fps 640x480 video that I have created drops pretty much most of the frames. I shudder to even think how HD video would perform.
Well, I assume you have a fast video card & know what you're talking about. As far as HD video, not sure anyone will be playing it on their PC's in the near future (?).
fewtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2005, 19:02   #2027  |  Link
teplun

full screen doesn't work

I installed the new MPC 6.4.8.3 and now the I can't have it full screen. All previous versions worked fine so what's wrong with this one?
teplun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2005, 19:30   #2028  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Re: full screen doesn't work

Quote:
Originally posted by teplun
I installed the new MPC 6.4.8.3 and now the I can't have it full screen. All previous versions worked fine so what's wrong with this one?
Seems to work fine here!

Shame there's no support for reading Nero's subtitles in .MP4... Maybe next time!

Cheers
Old 2nd March 2005, 19:32   #2029  |  Link
Zarxrax

Quote:
Originally posted by fewtch
As far as HD video, not sure anyone will be playing it on their PC's in the near future (?). [/B]
Not so, HD is becoming more and more commonplace. I've seen a large number of HD tv captures circulating the internet. Not to say that I support such practices, but it goes to show that HD is certainly an issue these days.

My pc doesnt have much trouble playing most normal HD resolution content encoded with standard xvid settings. However, if there is particularly high motion, there would be some definate jerkiness, or especially if I decided to encode with CPU guzzling features like Qpel. I haven't messed around with H.264, but I would assume that it requires more horsepower than xvid to play back. With todays cpus hitting a barrier in clock speed, all of this factors into a need for more efficient playback.
Old 3rd March 2005, 02:17   #2030  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

Quote:
Originally posted by suspiciousBob
any particular reason for the jump in filesize, even after UPX'ng the .exe?
2005.03.03 build (2kxp) is significantly smaller than the official 6.4.8.3, I don't know the reason. After UPXing -9 using UPX 1.93 beta, the filesize is 1541KB.
Liisachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2005, 03:24   #2031  |  Link
celtic_druid

Well if you recall a few pages back I updated the DX SDK used and the filesize dropped. Guess that could be it?

My 03.03 build as far as I can tell is basically the same as the offical 6.8.4.3. The changes to the cvs were made after, but they seem to be included in the sf build. Oh yeah, libfaad2 and libdirac are still newer in mine.

Oh yeah, there were also some linkage settings that weren't enabled by default that I enabled which result in a slightly smaller filesize. Something about discarding refs.... not at home right now so I can't check.
celtic_druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2005, 12:45   #2032  |  Link
yaz
n00b ever

Re: Re: full screen doesn't work

Quote:
Originally posted by SeeMoreDigital
... Shame there's no support for reading Nero's subtitles in .MP4... Maybe next time!
u're just kidding, aren't u ?
imho, mpc's still the best
y
yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2005, 10:29   #2033  |  Link
djpowder

Anyone know if the normalize bug has been fixed? The audio would be normalized for a certain amount of time but would eventually stop until you seek once, then normalize would kick in again.
djpowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2005, 10:32   #2034  |  Link
stephanV
gone

Re: Re: full screen doesn't work

Quote:
Originally posted by SeeMoreDigital
Seems to work fine here!

Shame there's no support for reading Nero's subtitles in .MP4... Maybe next time!

Cheers
This is Nero's problem (or restriction might be a better word for it), not MPC's IIRC. Complain to them. MPC works fine.
stephanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2005, 11:30   #2035  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally posted by stephanV
This is Nero's problem (or restriction might be a better word for it), not MPC's IIRC. Complain to them. MPC works fine.
I never said MPC did not work fine!

Sufficed to say, MPC is not the "lite" little media player it once was... maybe it's time it had it's own set of of optional Mpeg4 and .MP4 filters!

Cheers
Old 4th March 2005, 12:08   #2036  |  Link
kallekill

I installed the latest version of MPC and the lock back buffer option seems to have solved the tearing problem in VMR9 renderless mode. It doesn't work very well with the interlaced clips I have tested though. I tried a 1920*1080i mpeg2 clip with three diffenrent mpeg2 decoders and the deinterlacing didn't work with any of them. This is in VMR9 renderless mode. I also get a thick white line at the bottom of the picture.
kallekill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2005, 14:25   #2037  |  Link
filewalker

Quote:
It would be great if there were a place where you could set the size of a playback buffer. MPC would render frames into this buffer as fast as it possibly can, trying to keep the buffer full at all times, then they would simply be pulled from the buffer and displayed as necessary. Also it would fill the buffer immediately upon loading or seeking in a file, and begin playing once the buffer is filled.

AFAIK this must be done inside the filters...not from the player's side.
e.g. in Haali's Matroska parser you can manually define the Input buffer size.

Cu
Old 4th March 2005, 14:42   #2038  |  Link
iago
retired

Quote:
Originally posted by djpowder
Anyone know if the normalize bug has been fixed? The audio would be normalized for a certain amount of time but would eventually stop until you seek once, then normalize would kick in again.
Unfortunately no, it's not been fixed. (6.4.8.3 official)
iago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2005, 14:43   #2039  |  Link
Yusaku

this can be done on the connection between renderer and output of decoder. I think Crystal Player (forgot name) does it; and it works well for cutting down player CPU requirements by about 30%. Fortunately most recent CPUs are nowadays quite fast - and if you need speed over anything, try vlc or mplayer - they both have MUCH lower CPU requirements and are quite usable. Unfortunately for me, no SSA/ASS support...
Yusaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2005, 19:34   #2040  |  Link
Zarxrax

Thanks Yusaku, Crystal Player works wonders for playback! I hate the interface, but it will get the job done for at least allowing me to view some of my files.

Tags
media player classic