Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 15th October 2008, 00:00   #641  |  Link
nautilus7

All you had to do was to use eac3to to convert your dtswavs to dts (you didn't tell you are dealing with such). eac3to works fine with them.
Old 15th October 2008, 00:33   #642  |  Link
NanoBot

Hi nautilus7,

If it would have been so easy...

One of the problematic cds was this title:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...cart=785928301

When I feed the ripped dtswav to eac3to it is not able to identify the wav file as dtswav, it sees it as a normal two channel PCM wav:

Code:
D:\MPEG\EAC3TO>eac3to.exe f:\moody.wav g:\test.dts
WAV, 2.0 channels, 0:43:34, 16 bits, 1411kbps, 44.1khz
Reading WAV...
Writing WAVs...
Creating file "g:\test.L.wav"...
Creating file "g:\test.R.wav"...
This audio track has a constant bit depth of 16 bits.

D:\MPEG\EAC3TO>eac3to.exe f:\moody.wav
WAV, 2.0 channels, 0:43:34, 16 bits, 1411kbps, 44.1khz

D:\MPEG\EAC3TO>
C.U. NanoBot
Old 15th October 2008, 00:43   #643  |  Link
nautilus7

Yes, 're right. Send a sample to madshi to add support for this type of dtswav if you want to.
Old 15th October 2008, 00:49   #644  |  Link
NanoBot

I will ask him if he is interested, since there might be only a few of those problematic DTS CDs.
Old 15th October 2008, 09:24   #645  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

My best guess would be that the DTS track is faulty in itself. Normally if you extract the DTS track of a DTSWAV file you don't do any changes to the DTS bitstream. So if all those 3 programs you tried output a wrong framesize than this wrong framesize is most likely already wrong in the original source. And that's probably also the reason why eac3to doesn't even detect the track as being DTSWAV at all - because it's simply not a valid DTS(WAV) track.
Old 15th October 2008, 14:18   #646  |  Link
NanoBot

ATM I could neither confirm nor deny if the problematic source DTSWAV files are faulty. Because of the 14 bit words and the little endianess used in DTSWAV, it is a little bit difficult for me to identify the relevant header bits in the DTSWAV files. Nevertheless I will try to check the source DTSWAV for the frame size indicated there. Do do that, I will try to define winhex templates for the headers of standard DTS and DTSWAV. This should make it much easier to analyze the header.
Old 17th October 2008, 19:58   #647  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

Okay, I am trying to split some mkv files of mine, using the "Enable Splitting...after timecodes:" option.

However, I continue to receive an error if I use the format "00:43:32.220000000,01:26:58.320000000". But when I remove the decimal digits, everything works fine. Is this a bug in the GUI? Because I am using the correct time codes format.

Oh, and also, if I do NOT link the files, and use the format "00:43:32,00:43:45,00:43:42,00:43:24", which is supposed to result in chunks (episodes) that are 43min 32 seconds long and so on an so forth, instead results in 5 files which are 43:40, 12 seconds, 1 second, 22 seconds, and then the rest of an hour and a half or so. NOTE: these are not the exact times that I used, but they are essentially the same, and it shows that the resulting behavior is faulty and does not follow as the guide to MKVMerge GUI explained the process.

Since I did NOT linked the files, I expected the timecode to start from 0 after every split. I don't know if this happened, but the output was faulty anyways.

Last edited by Adub; 17th October 2008 at 20:11.
Old 18th October 2008, 12:50   #648  |  Link
zeropc

anyone willing to make a os x version of the latest release???

thanks
Old 19th October 2008, 22:31   #649  |  Link
lchiu7

audio/video sync problems with MP4 and AC-3

This is a strange one. Using the 2.2.0 GUI I

This is the situation. Our local broadcaster transmits HD as H.264 with AC-3 audio over DVB-T. Files end up quite large 4G/hr so I want to compress them and remove the ads.

I can remove ads okay with tspacket editor but the resulting file has AC-3 packet errors which are not apparent when played but play havoc with programs like tsremuxer etc. It seems that the packet errors occur at cut points.

So I thought I would do the following.

1. Break up the file into each segment between ad breaks.
2. Compress each segment into h.264 using x264
3. demux the AC-3 audio from each segment using dgavcindex
4. Merge the compressed video with the original audio into a MKV container using mkvmerge.

This seems to work fine. dgavcindex outputs the AC-3 file with a name containing text like DELAY -234ms and mkvmerge reads that delay value and inserts it into the parameter for delays.

However I end up with 4-5 separate mkv files for the one show. What I want to do of course is have just one file.

Thought I could do that with mkvmerge and just merge the 5 MKV files together. While that works, the resultant file loses audio/video sync - in fact the sync is fine for the part of the video that comes from the first file, it loses sync after that. That is strange since each individual file is in sync - it's just the merged file that isn't.

Tried something else - that is, rather than create 5 files, create one file by using the append option for each MP4 file but taking note for each different audio file, marking the appropriate delay for it.

That also doesn't work. Audio/video goes out of sync after the first segment.

Finally tried just a DOS copy /b option to concatenate the 5 files together but the resultant file just plays up to the end of the first segment.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated on what I could do now.

Thanks

Larry
Old 20th October 2008, 00:04   #650  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

One thing you could do is to do all of your editing in Avisynth using the trim() command. That way you will result in one video and audio file. If you want more information on how to do this, use search on this forum, or visit the Avisynth wiki. Right now it just sounds like you are doing it the hard way.
Old 20th October 2008, 01:33   #651  |  Link
lchiu7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin7777 View Post
One thing you could do is to do all of your editing in Avisynth using the trim() command. That way you will result in one video and audio file. If you want more information on how to do this, use search on this forum, or visit the Avisynth wiki. Right now it just sounds like you are doing it the hard way.
Alas it's a bit more complicated than that. I can edit the .ts files fine with tspacket editor and the resultant file plays fine with audio and video in sync. But the file is still 3G for 42 minutes.

But as soon as I compress the video and try to mux it back with the audio, the various programs I use including mkvmerge and tsremuxer complain about bad packets in the AC-3 stream and lose data. I am guessing it's the way tspacket editor is cutting the video perhaps.

So I end up with a file with AV out of sync

Breaking it up into its component pieces seems to fix that but I can't find a way to join them all back as noted above.

Will check out avisynth. I am guessing the best way is to frameserve the video to Virtualdub but will try a few things out.

[edit]

However still doesn't explain why merging several MKV files together, each which have in sync audio/video creates a file which has the audio/video out of sync. I would have thought the mkvmerge just joins the files together but clearly it must be doing other processing also.

[edit]

Seems like merging MKV files is a known bug in mkvmerge when each stream has different audio/video sync offsets. Solved the problem by muxing each stream as a separate file and them merging them with avimux

http://alexander-noe.com/video/amg/

Works fine and resultant merged stream has all audio/video in sync.

Last edited by lchiu7; 21st October 2008 at 01:10.
Old 24th October 2008, 10:44   #652  |  Link
KoD

mkvtoolnix v2.40 achieves delay differently than previous versions.

1. mkvtoolnix prior to v2.40 would create silence and append it in front of the audio stream that the user would like to be delayed with a positive delay value. This is also what avi-mux-gui (amg) does.
2. mkvtoolnix v2.40 doesn't add silence to the audio stream anymore, it simply modifies the timecodes so that the first audio frame is played at a timestamp = the delay value.

Probably mosu hasn't tested what happens when you merge two such files with delayed tracks. Maybe mkvmerge or the mkvmerge GUI forgets that it should respect the delay value for the file that is going to be appended. Or maybe you're doing something wrong.
Old 29th October 2008, 10:34   #653  |  Link
peck798

I am glad to see that

Old 2nd November 2008, 12:19   #654  |  Link
shambles

mkvmerge or mkvextract seems to drop the last frame off some dts-hd tracks

sample: http://www.sendspace.com/file/iea1gz

when i mux it with mkvmerge and then extract, the resultant file is smaller than the original file (comparing in hex editor, it looks like just the last frame is missing)

strangely, it doesn't happen with every dts-hd file though
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:11   #655  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles View Post
mkvmerge or mkvextract seems to drop the last frame off some dts-hd tracks

sample: http://www.sendspace.com/file/iea1gz
The file size difference between the original .dtshd and the merge-and-extracted file is 2720. This is NOT a full DTSHD frame for this file as they're all 2728 bytes long. mkvmerge drops incomplete frames.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 4th November 2008, 10:23   #656  |  Link
shambles

hmm. that's fairly strange.. i cut the orig track to 5mb pieces and then ran the first piece through eac3to, and it dropped the last (incomplete) frame

running it through eac3to now keeps it intact too.. afaik eac3to should always drop the last frame if it's incomplete
Old 4th November 2008, 18:31   #657  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Ichiu7: another user had the same problems. I've solved his problems in a new build, and I guess that your problems with A/V desynchronisation should be gone with it as well. Here's the build:

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...0081103-28.rar

Old 4th November 2008, 18:45   #658  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin7777 View Post
Okay, I am trying to split some mkv files of mine, using the "Enable Splitting...after timecodes:" option.

However, I continue to receive an error if I use the format "00:43:32.220000000,01:26:58.320000000". But when I remove the decimal digits, everything works fine. Is this a bug in the GUI? Because I am using the correct time codes format.
This is a bug in mmg, yes. You can shorten the number of decimals to 3, then mmg accepts your input. Meaning that "00:43:32.220,01:26:58.320" works. I'll have to fix the long format.

Quote:
Oh, and also, if I do NOT link the files, and use the format "00:43:32,00:43:45,00:43:42,00:43:24", which is supposed to result in chunks (episodes) that are 43min 32 seconds long and so on an so forth, instead results in 5 files which are 43:40, 12 seconds, 1 second, 22 seconds, and then the rest of an hour and a half or so. NOTE: these are not the exact times that I used, but they are essentially the same, and it shows that the resulting behavior is faulty and does not follow as the guide to MKVMerge GUI explained the process.
The mkvmerge GUI guide is indeed misleading here. The way the timecodes work is that mkvmerge splits after the specific input timecode has been reached. They are not the duration or the timecodes in the output file (!). If you want to split a file into three pieces with roughly the same length and a fourth piece with the rest of the file then you'll have to use "00:43:32,01:27:04,02:10:36".

I'll have to change the guide's wording accordingly. Anyone got a suggestion which is not as misleading as it is now?

Quote:
Since I did NOT linked the files, I expected the timecode to start from 0 after every split. I don't know if this happened, but the output was faulty anyways.
The linking option only affects the timecodes written to the output files, not the timecodes given on the command line as they refer to the whole stream as if it weren't split.

Last edited by Mosu; 4th November 2008 at 18:53.
Old 20th November 2008, 20:14   #659  |  Link
73ChargerFan

I'd like to request that mkvmerge GUI process WM_PAINT messages more frequently while muxing is happening (or what ever is blocking them?)

It can take half a minute to redraw the windows, and during that time, it looks like it crashed, it can block explorer (including network requests from around my house) and I can't switch between virtual desktops. I'm running XP Pro SP3 with a quad Q6600.

Thanks for all your hard work on mkvtoolnix. I use it all the time to mux blu-rays into mkv for use around the home.
Old 21st November 2008, 11:08   #660  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

@ 73ChargerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ChargerFan View Post
I use it all the time to mux blu-rays into mkv for use around the home.
Awesome.

It's all good !

Pascal