Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 16th January 2011, 02:51   #1  |  Link
TheProfileth
Leader of Dual-Duality

STAMPEDE : My new Degraining filter

STAMPEDE is my latest filter, and it is my favorite by far.
STAMPEDE stands for
Spacio Temporal And Masked Precision Eludes Damage Exquisitely
It uses a threshold mask that is created by the difference of two filters
the first is a spacial smoother and the second is a spaciotemporal filter
it is actually the same filter but it is told to process 2 frames instead of 1 (reducefluctuations with repair to reduce the chance of blending)
It takes the difference of those two processed frames, and uses that as the threshold. Another mask is created to define what the general outline of the frame looks like, and that part is not filtered.
The reason that it takes the difference and not the average, is because if you take the difference, between 1 spatially filtered frame and then a spaciotemporally filtered frame, the spaciotemporal filter will remove fluctuating noise and grain, and the spatial filter will remove some small noise on its own. So by using the difference of the two filters, certain things like noise, but also some detail might be removed in the spatial filtering step, but that detail will also be removed in the spatial part of the spaciotemporal step, meaning that the difference will be the temporal noise also known as fluctuating noise or grain, basically creating a mask for temporal noise which in itself seems pretty impossible but the end result is that the filter does not target details as details do (read should) not fluctuate (usually)
Now that all sounds find and dandy but to give a visual representation it might make more sense. So let me do just that.
Here is a comparison of the filtered to the mask, the black parts are not filtered, also on the first picture and the second are pretty much duplicates. That gives the filter the maximum accuracy and power.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/20086

Here is the plethora of examples I have taken
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/16978
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/16979
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/16980
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/16981
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/16982
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/16985
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/16988
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/16989
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/16992
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/16993
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/16995
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/16996
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/20105

and here are a couple of live action comparisons I took
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/20314

Notes about usage
I created this filter by modding and changing my sharpening filter, which was a mod of SSSharpfaster which itself is a mod of SuperSlowSharpen. I will probably make a post about my sharpener later , here is an example of that
The purpose of this filter is not for denoising or smoothing, it is solely meant for the reduction of grain and artifacts. It tends to help with compression by making the video easier for x264 to encode, as x264 does not really like high level noise or grain. On a couple of tests I did with compression, with Nausicaa I was able to reduce the file size by 23% with little to no decrease in quality (as seen in the screenshots above).
This is not a filter you should use for every source, as you will end up being disappointed by the results, it works best on HD content, but does work on SD content too. Luckly it is pretty damn fast due to a lot of optimizing I have done.
Do not use on clean sources IE ones that lack grain or noise because you will either not gain much compression or have issues with the mask not having enough to accurately be generated.

Now for the download, I included all of the required filters (hopefully) I might of forgotten one or two, but I don't think so
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ze19lqi99echc8p

Feedback and input is greatly appreciated, any ideas to improve the filter would also be greatly appreciated

Last edited by TheProfileth; 16th January 2011 at 22:35.
TheProfileth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 06:02   #2  |  Link
Dogway

Before completely reading your post, yes, I thought it was good for more efficient encodings, very subtle effect but most noticeable on HD sources with nervious grain. I must be the only one, but IMHO I like to clean (and watch) anime just like if they were the original cels (reads noise free flat colors), specially on old ones. Needless to say I appreciate the contribution since filtering in 1080p can become a nightmare of slowness/space : D
Old 16th January 2011, 09:34   #3  |  Link
TheProfileth
Leader of Dual-Duality

No problem and thankyou for the feedback
I know exactly how you feel about wanting to clean the anime, and yea filtering BD shit is a pain in the ass , that is part of the reason I have been making filters for HD in mind, because I can't really find any that suit my needs
This filter is best when used as a prefilter by removing the nervous grain so that you can use other filters to smooth the video

Last edited by TheProfileth; 16th January 2011 at 09:39.
Old 16th January 2011, 14:17   #4  |  Link
Gser

So this is only for anime then?
Gser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 16:15   #5  |  Link
Didée

It would be fun to comment on this filter. Someone untie me?

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 22:14   #6  |  Link
TheProfileth
Leader of Dual-Duality

@Gser
I have not tried it on any live action stuff, I will give it a shot on some live action things I have in a bit
Edit:
I add some comparisons from a BD encode I had of Memento
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/20314
The results are pretty damn good, much better than I expected them to be
@Didee
*unties*
Comment away! I am very interested in what you think of this filter :3

Last edited by TheProfileth; 16th January 2011 at 22:37.
Old 16th January 2011, 22:35   #7  |  Link
LaTo
LaTo INV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didée View Post
It would be fun to comment on this filter. Someone untie me?
Yes, this filter is suboptimal, here is an updated version:

Code:
function STAMPEDE2(clip c, float "strength", int "hthr", int "hbias", int "limit1", int "limit2", int"ss")
{
#Spacio Temporal And Masked Precision Eludes Damage Exquisitely II
#Modded version for more efficiency and speed

#Do not touch these values unless you have done graduate work in math
limit1 = default(limit1, 1)
limit2 = default(limit2, 2)

ss    = default(ss, 2)
hthr  = default(hthr, 256)
hbias = default(hbias, -128)

strength = default(strength, 3.0)

#WARNING: do not touch the code below or you will break everything in the filter
w = c.width()
h = c.height()

s = c.spline36resize((w*ss)/(limit2-limit1),(h*ss)/(limit2-limit1))
a = s.awarpsharp(cm=0, depth=3, blurlevel=1, thresh=0.99)
b = s.removegrain(-1,0,0)

MT_merge( mt_lutxy(s,a,Uexpr="x x - "+string(strength/3.0)+" *",U=1,V=1), mt_lutxy(a,s,Vexpr="x x - "+string(strength/3.0)+" *",U=1,V=1), blankclip(b), U=3, V=3 )

return(last.spline64resize((-2*w*hbias)/(htr),(-2*h*hbias)/(htr)).mergechroma(c))
}
This version is optimized for UHD, please post your feedback
LaTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 22:49   #8  |  Link
TheProfileth
Leader of Dual-Duality

Ooh Lato let me take a look
Edit: Lato I think you meant this
Quote:
function STAMPEDE2(clip c, float "strength", int "hthr", int "hbias", int "limit1", int "limit2", int"ss")
{
#Spacio Temporal And Masked Precision Eludes Damage Exquisitely II
#Modded version for more efficiency and speed

#Do not touch these values unless you have done graduate work in math
limit1 = default(limit1, 1)
limit2 = default(limit2, 2)

ss = default(ss, 2)
hthr = default(hthr, 256)

#WARNING: do not touch the code below or you will break everything in the filter
w = c.width()
h = c.height()

s = c.spline36resize((w*ss)/(limit2-limit1),(h*ss)/(limit2-limit1))
b = s.removegrain(-1,0,0)

MT_merge( mt_lutxy(s,a,Uexpr="x x - "+string(strength/3.0)+" *",U=1,V=1), mt_lutxy(a,s,Vexpr="x x - "+string(strength/3.0)+" *",U=1,V=1), blankclip(b), U=3, V=3 )

return(last.spline64resize((-2*w*hbias)/(hthr),(-2*h*hbias)/(hthr)).mergechroma(c))
}
Edit2:
Ok so Lato, it seems your version of the filter does even less than mine
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/20328
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/20329
No idea about how the speed increased , but it seems for such minimal results (and I mean the original was pretty minimal) there really is no benefit

Last edited by TheProfileth; 16th January 2011 at 23:14.
Old 16th January 2011, 23:24   #9  |  Link
Didée

@LaTo: oh, how you mean you are!

The basic idea is to combine a spatial and a spatio-temporal filter, so that the spatio-temporal does not do what the spatial filter would do. Or s'th similar.

This script does not do that.

What it does is to perform the SAME spatio-temporal filter two times. One time the temporal filter (recursively-calmed temporal median) is limited to a maximum change of +/-1, then comes spatial limiting. The other one is the same, just the temporal filter is limited to +/-2 before spatial limiting.
Later in the script, what happens is that in those places where the 2nd filter does more than the 1st filter (i.e. where the 2nd causes a +/-2 instead of a +/-1), the difference is blown up to +/-3.

This is

a) not what the synopsis claims,

and

b) this is not a generally valid operation. You can't (safely) blow a filter effect to >100%. (E.g.: if you take blur(1) and blow the effect to 300%, you'll only partly get "more blurring", but get also lots of "inverse haloing". Simply because the operation is not valid to do, in regard to "correct" filtering.)

Funny nitpicks from the script:

Code:
s.removegrain(0,-1,-1).srf(limit2)
That RemoveGrain does exactly nothing. (Except for nuking chroma, which is irrelevant.)

Code:
mt_lutxy(s,     a, yexpr="y x x - "+string(strength/3.0)+" * +",U=1,V=1)
This line is equivalent to just "a". A convoluted way to do nothing.

In essence, the script does several "highly questionable" operations. Some will reduce noise, some will introduce artifacts out of thin air. The only thing that keeps things from falling apart is that the script works with "very small" differences from the start. Because of this, in the result it is not immediately obvious that the whole script is a botch.

Here's a mini-script in the spirit of the original idea (protect a temporal filter to act on those bits that a spatial filter would act on)

Code:
a = last
b = a.RemoveGrain(11)
f = b.FluxSmoothT().merge(b,0.49)

a.mt_makediff(mt_makediff(b,f,U=3,V=3),U=3,V=3)

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Old 16th January 2011, 23:32   #10  |  Link
TheProfileth
Leader of Dual-Duality

Didee you are right about most of what you said, there are issues like when you raise the strength to above 6 or so you start creating noise. I think that mostly has to do with my relative ineptitude with regards to scripting and full syntax. I pretty much only had an idea, and a general understanding of how the original script worked. I just adapted it from that. BTW for reference I adapted it from this script that I created.
Quote:
function SFM(clip c, float "strength", int "hthr", int "hbias")
{
hthr = default(hthr, 512)
#This parameter determines how sensative the limiting mask is. Significant gains can be made by decreasing this
#Although the risk of enhancing residual noise increases exponentially as you lower it past 256
#This controls how much the difference is compared to the halomask, as the halo mask is a minor warpsharp
#A negative difference will make your lines not shrink
#Raising this up to 0 will decrease your halos, but also decrease the sharpening effect
#Raising this all the way up to 256, will result in you just warpsharping your source
#Don't do that
#The strength of the Sharpener
#Strength=3 usually enough if your source is HD, very blurry but also free of noise or artifacts
#if you are going to use this on SD content I suggest you not go above 2
#actually suggest not using this on SD content, unless you have a VERY blurry and clean source

w = c.width()
h = c.height()
s = c.spline36resize(w*2,h*2)
#a = s.awarpsharp2(chroma=2, depth=2, blur=1, thresh=250)

Mblur = s.removegrain(4,-1,-1)
Gblur = s.removegrain(0,-1,-1).tbilateral(5,3,1,1,3,3,10,10,true,false,false,kerns=4,kerni=3,restype=0)
Hmask = mt_lutxy(Mblur, Gblur, "y x - abs "+string(hthr)+" * "+string(hbias)+" +", U=1, V=1)

(MT_merge(mt_lutxy(s, Gblur, yexpr="x x y - "+string(strength)+ " * +",U=1,V=1),
\ mt_lutxy(s, a, yexpr="x y x - "+string(strength/3.0)+" * +",U=1,V=1),
\ Hmask,
\ U=1,V=1))

spline36resize(w,h).mergechroma(c)

return(last)
}
The real problem with how I make filters is that I work from an idea and then trial and error , without much actual understanding of the bigger picture
I really would like input and/or suggestions for ways to improve the filter and fix the parts that are useless/broken

Last edited by TheProfileth; 17th January 2011 at 00:15.
Old 17th January 2011, 09:22   #11  |  Link
LaTo
LaTo INV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfileth View Post
I really would like input and/or suggestions for ways to improve the filter and fix the parts that are useless/broken
All "MT_" calls have a specific syntax and you must understand them.

mt_lut/mt_lutxy/... are written in reverse polish notation, look at this line for example:

Code:
mt_lutxy(s, a, yexpr="y x x - "+string(strength/3.0)+" * +",U=1,V=1)
"y x x - " + string(strength/3.0) + " * +" is "y + (x-x)*(strength/3.0)" in normal notation
x is the first clip "s"
y is the second clip "a"

So: (x-x)*(strength/3.0) will always be equal to 0, the final is always "y" and the result is the clip "a".
U=1/V=1 are set, so chroma will be garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfileth View Post
The real problem with how I make filters is that I work from an idea and then trial and error , without much actual understanding of the bigger picture
Before scripting, you must have some basis in this area... Trial and error is not enough because you lose time.
There are full details about scripting here: Scripting Reference and here: Avisynth Synthax

Having understood this, you can read the documentation of filters.
For example: Masktools and RemoveGrain

I hope this will help you, good luck for your work!

(PS: my modded version was a little joke, do not start from it to continue your script)
LaTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 09:56   #12  |  Link
TheProfileth
Leader of Dual-Duality

lol Lato do not worry, it took me a bit because I did not actually read what you put in the filter, I just sort of saved it to avsi then took screens, but once I actually looked at it I got that it was a joke and there was no way I would just blindly work off of your filter lol
I will definitely give those links a look
I am still sort of hoping that Didee or you will be able to salvage my script, of course I will be taking a look at redoing it too , but it would be nice to have experienced people giving input as well.
Old 17th January 2011, 10:41   #13  |  Link
Didée

Salvaging ... sure, but in which direction? My problem is the rationale behind, which is not quite clear to me.

If I got everything right, the current outline is "to combine a spatial filter with a spatio-temporal filter so that the spatio-temporal filter does not do those changes that the spatial filter would do on its own".

Is that correct?

If yes, then the next question is: why first use a spatio-temporal filter, then jump through loops in order to eliminate the spatial part out of it ..... instead of simply using a pure temporal filter from the start, without any spatial component?

Summed up: I'm a bit lost with "here's my script, can you salvage it?"

The core question is: what exactly should the script do? And also, "why" is it meaningful to do so?
(2nd question aims at: creating a filter that "makes sense".)

Old 17th January 2011, 22:50   #14  |  Link
TheProfileth
Leader of Dual-Duality

Didee I did not really mean to ask you guys to salvage it, I just hoped that you would be able to. Also the point of the script is as I described in the synopsis
Quote:
It takes the difference of those two processed frames, and uses that as the threshold. Another mask is created to define what the general outline of the frame looks like, and that part is not filtered.
The reason that it takes the difference and not the average, is because if you take the difference, between 1 spatially filtered frame and then a spaciotemporally filtered frame, the spaciotemporal filter will remove fluctuating noise and grain, and the spatial filter will remove some small noise on its own. So by using the difference of the two filters, certain things like noise, but also some detail might be removed in the spatial filtering step, but that detail will also be removed in the spatial part of the spaciotemporal step, meaning that the difference will be the temporal noise also known as fluctuating noise or grain, basically creating a mask for temporal noise which in itself seems pretty impossible but the end result is that the filter does not target details as details do (read should) not fluctuate (usually)
I want the filter to do that, at least, if that is possible. Either way I will look at understanding more and trying to fix it today.

Last edited by TheProfileth; 18th January 2011 at 00:58.