Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 5th September 2020, 21:07   #1701  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.19 Beta-2
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lam...8.exe/download

Quote:
Changes between v4.18 and v4.19 [unreleased]
* Updated Vorbis encoder to OggEnc v2.88 (2020-07-07), using libvorbis v1.3.7 with aoTuV beta-6.03
* Updated Monkey's Audio binary to v5.54 (2020-08-24), compiled with ICL 19.1 and MSVC 15.9
* Updated mpg123 decoder to v1.26.3 (2020-07-16), compiled with GCC 10.1.0
* Updated MediaInfo to v20.08 (2020-08-11), compiled with ICL 19.1 and MSVC 15.9
* Updated cURL to v7.72.0 (2020-08-19), with libcurl v7.72.0 and OpenSSL v1.1.1g
* Added command-line switch --no-splash, which can be used to hide the "splash" screen at startup
Old 10th September 2020, 10:05   #1702  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
LameXP v4.19 Beta-2
Couple of days the service is unavailable on downloading.

Strange enough, only one mirror has the download file.

Can you please provide a mirror? Binary expired here
Old 10th September 2020, 11:08   #1703  |  Link
manolito

SourceForge downloading can be a bit unreliable...

What always works here is to click on "Problems Downloading?" and then choose the "Direct Link". Just checked for the latest Beta-2, no problems.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2020, 15:04   #1704  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
Couple of days the service is unavailable on downloading.

Strange enough, only one mirror has the download file.

Can you please provide a mirror? Binary expired here
Just checked, and all of the 16 update mirrors seem to be up and synchronized, so you should always be able to get the latest version via "auto-update" function:
https://pastebin.com/6vhtLuZi

As far as problems with SourceForge.net downloads are concerned, there is not much I can do about this, but I just downloaded the latest version from SourceForge.net without any problem.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 10th September 2020 at 15:09.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2020, 21:25   #1705  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.19 Beta-3
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lam...0.exe/download

Quote:
* Updated LAME encoder to v3.100.1-SVN (2020-08-25), compiled with ICL 19.1 and MSVC 15.9
* Updated Vorbis encoder to OggEnc v2.88 (2020-07-07), using libvorbis v1.3.7 with aoTuV beta-6.03
* Updated Monkey's Audio binary to v5.54 (2020-08-24), compiled with ICL 19.1 and MSVC 15.9
* Updated MediaInfo to v20.08 (2020-08-11), compiled with ICL 19.1 and MSVC 15.9
* Updated cURL to v7.72.0 (2020-08-19), with libcurl v7.72.0 and OpenSSL v1.1.1g
* Added command-line switch --no-splash, which can be used to hide the "splash" screen at startup
Quote:
LAME v3.100.1 Release
This is a point release that includes NO changes to the encoding libraries.
This release replaces the previous mpglib decoding library with the libmpg123 decoding library.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 21st September 2020 at 21:27.
Old 16th October 2020, 21:23   #1706  |  Link
MrVideo

I notice while starting the program on my XP-32 box, it warns that dwnapi.dll is missing. Doing a little bit of research, I find out that its use starts with Vista. OK, but the strange part is that versions for XP-32 can be found and downloaded.

Is dwmapi really needed and what is it used for with regards to LameXP? I'm guessing that it isn't really important, since the program runs just fine without it.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2020, 22:58   #1707  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Some Windows API functions are only available in newer Windows versions. If we linked these functions statically, then the executable would no longer be able to run on "old" Windows versions.

The workaround is to import these "optional" functions dynamically, at runtime, via LoadLibrary() and GetProcAddress(). This way, we can use the new API functions where available, but still continue without them otherwise.

Specifically, the DWM (Desktop Window Manager) is only available in Windows Vista an later. LameXP uses DwmEnableBlurBehindWindow() from Dwmapi.dll to enable fancy "Aero" effects on support OS versions.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 16th October 2020 at 23:11.
Old 17th October 2020, 22:16   #1708  |  Link
MrVideo

Thanks for the update. Certainly doesn't bother me that blur effects are missing.
Old 22nd October 2020, 01:50   #1709  |  Link
MrVideo

Slight problem... the beta has expired. I know, it keeps working. That is why it is slight.

Another slight problem... when trying to check for a new version, the beta says that my internet connection is broken. It isn't.

Last edited by MrVideo; 22nd October 2020 at 01:53.
Old 7th November 2020, 00:09   #1710  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
Another slight problem... when trying to check for a new version, the beta says that my internet connection is broken. It isn't.
Not quite sure. Nothing about the update check should have changed recently

Can you can press F11 in the update window to show the log?
Old 8th November 2020, 01:41   #1711  |  Link
MrVideo

Here is the result:
Code:
Checking your Internet connection...

Connecting to host: www.ebay.com

ERROR: Terminated with unknown code -1073741515

Connecting to host: www.gnu.org

Connecting to host: bandcamp.com

Connecting to host: neocities.org

Connecting to host: www.avidemux.org

[...]
Connecting to host: support.proboards.com

Connecting to host: www.oxford.gov.uk

Connecting to host: www.jd.com

Connecting to host: marknelson.us

Connecting to host: www.libav.org

Connectivity test has failed: Internet connection appears to be broken!
Just a subset of the list. All sites exit with the some code. I have no clue has to how you are trying to connected to these locations. A simple ping of 8.8.8.8 would be a great test.
Old 8th November 2020, 01:52   #1712  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

-1073741515 is C0000135, which means "DLL not found". Some component involved in the connection process is not present.
Old 8th November 2020, 13:49   #1713  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Here is the result:
Code:
Checking your Internet connection...

Connecting to host: www.gnu.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
-1073741515 is C0000135, which means "DLL not found". Some component involved in the connection process is not present.
Well, it would indicate that cURL process failed to start, apprently because of a missing DLL.

If I remember correctly, you are one of those diehard Windows XP users. Not that we should care at this point, but for me the cURL binary that ships with LameXP works fine on my Windows XP (with SP-3) VM:

You could try opening the "lxp_curl.exe" form the LameXP "temp" directory with Dependency Walker and see if it reveals anything...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 8th November 2020 at 13:51.
Old 5th December 2020, 21:47   #1714  |  Link
danlock

Opus tag redundancy / oddity

Something I've intended to mention for quite a while... (It seems to be cosmetic only (NOT? SEE EDIT!), but it is confusing nonetheless.)

When I transcode one or more files to (an) Opus file(s), regardless of the Quality / Bitrate setting on the Compression tab, if I set a different bitrate in the OpusEnc text entry box in the Custom Encoder Parameters portion of the Advanced Options tab), the resulting file's ENCODER_OPTIONS: tag contains an extra artifact from the Compression tab.

In this example, the Compression tab was set to ≈ 144 kbps and my custom parameter was --bitrate 150, which resulted in the following ENCODER_OPTIONS tag:

ENCODER_OPTIONS : --vbr --comp 10 --framesize 20 --bitrate 144 --bitrate 150

The resulting file is the same as if the setting from the Compression tab were not present; the file is identical to one encoded with --bitrate 150. Either the second --bitrate option supersedes the first one on the command line, the setting from the tab is being inserted into the tag prior to the custom setting, or both.

I guess it's NOT cosmetic only (Edit #2: my mistake... it is only cosmetic, as LoRd_MuldeR reminded me (below)):

I just re-encoded the same file with a higher bitrate on the Compression tab (≈160) and got a larger file (tag says ENCODER_OPTIONS : --vbr --comp 10 --framesize 20 --bitrate 160 --bitrate 150), which remained larger/160kbps when I changed to 12kbps and re-encoded (custom still set to 150, tag says ENCODER_OPTIONS : --vbr --comp 10 --framesize 20 --bitrate 12 --bitrate 150) , but removing the custom option completely gave me a tiny file with an overall (VBR/quality) bit rate of 12.5 kbps. The tag ends with --bitrate 12 as it should.

Over the years since the Compression tab's --bitrate=??? text has been visible in the ENCODER_OPTIONS tag prior to the custom value, I have noticed no other strange tagging issues when I've had settings on the "ordinary" tabs that differ from any custom options I have set. I haven't tested exhaustively.

I'm using the latest beta, but I've noticed the tagging issue for many, many months and versions.

-------------
I was in a hurry at the end when I posted this yesterday. I neglected to thank you for your help and response, LoRd_MuldeR. I'll insert it now (Sunday 06.December 2020) and in this message to avoid creating another message at the bottom of the thread. Thank you! ...and I was right the first time: it is only cosmetic. Thanks for pointing that out, too!

Last edited by danlock; 7th December 2020 at 20:44. Reason: re-encoding w/higher-bitrate and then to a lower-bitrate without changing custom setting retains the higher-bitrate
danlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2020, 03:56   #1715  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Well, it is not under our control what exactly OpusEnc stores in the "ENCODER_OPTIONS" meta tag. That's an OpusEnc thing.

Anyways, it would appear that OpusEnc simply stores the "raw" (full) command-line, not just the effective encoder options. This explains why you will see "--bitrate" twice, iff you add "--bitrate" to the "Custom Encoder Parameters": LameXP already generates the "--bitrate" option for you, based on the selected bitrate, on the "Compression" tab. Consequently, if you add that option again, as a custom parameter, you'll end up with two times "--bitrate" in the command-line.

Furthermore, the general convention for conflicting command-line options is that the last one takes precedence. And that is exactly what OpusEnc seems to follow here

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 6th December 2020 at 04:12.
Old 26th January 2021, 21:44   #1716  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.19 RC-2
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lam...8.exe/download

Quote:
* Updated LAME encoder to v3.100.1-SVN (2020-08-25), compiled with ICL 19.1 and MSVC 15.9
* Added Bulgarian (български) translation, thanks to Симеон Илиянов Цветков <sicvetkov@uni-sofia.bg>
Quote:
LAME v3.100.1 Release
This is a point release that includes NO changes to the encoding libraries.
This release replaces the previous mpglib decoding library with the libmpg123 decoding library.
Old 13th February 2021, 06:33   #1717  |  Link
MrVideo

Sorry for the delay in responding. I got sidetracked.
Quote:
Well, it would indicate that cURL process failed to start, apprently because of a missing DLL.
I had to search the C: drive in order to find lxp_xurl. When I manually run it, it povides me with some help options. But, there was no failure.
Quote:
If I remember correctly, you are one of those diehard Windows XP users. Not that we should care at this point, but for me the cURL binary that ships with LameXP works fine on my Windows XP (with SP-3) VM:
It is true, but I have moved some stuff over to Win7-64. LameXP is run from my XP box for logistical reasons.
Quote:
You could try opening the "lxp_curl.exe" form the LameXP "temp" directory with Dependency Walker and see if it reveals anything...
I have no idea what I am looking for in its output. But, it didn't complain about no DLLs not being found.

As a test, I did: lxp_curl -I --url http://forum.doom9.org and all went well. It displayed the http header.

Why not just ping 8.8.8.8? That IP isn't going away any time soon.

At this point, I don't think that curl is the issue.

Used the above 2288 build and still not able to determine if the internet is working.

Last edited by MrVideo; 13th February 2021 at 06:43.
Old 13th February 2021, 07:31   #1718  |  Link
MrVideo

I just noticed that when extracting flac tracks from a flac file, the directory that is created always has a " (2)" added to the name, even though it is the only directory there.

Oh wait, I see why it did it. If the flac file is named: Album.flac, it tries to create a working directory called: Album.flac. Obviously that is a conflict. The directory that contains the files is called: Album. So, why not make the working directory: Album. Then there won't be a conflict.

Last edited by MrVideo; 13th February 2021 at 07:37.
Old 14th February 2021, 18:24   #1719  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
I had to search the C: drive in order to find lxp_xurl. When I manually run it, it povides me with some help options. But, there was no failure.
Just go to the %TMP% directory. LameXP will create a sub-folder with a random name here on startup. The lxp_curl.exe you are looking for will be in there.

Quote:
I have no idea what I am looking for in its output. But, it didn't complain about no DLLs not being found.
Watch out for a missing DLL file, or for a missing entry point in one of the required DLLs. For me all looks good on my Windows XP machine though:
https://imgur.com/a/7SyOy5j

(Note: Warning about delay-loaded DLLs can be ignored, because delay-loading is commonly used for optional dependencies)

Quote:
As a test, I did: lxp_curl -I --url http://forum.doom9.org and all went well. It displayed the http header.
Then I don't understand what was the problem before

In your earlier post you said that cURL failed to run with error code -1073741515, aka 0xC0000135, aka STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/ope...c-49e60bebca55

So that would have indicated that the cURL process could not be created because of a missing DLL.

If, however, you can start cURL from the command-line without problem, and if you are 100% sure that you were testing the same "lxp_curl.exe" file, then a missing DLL apparently is not the problem.

Quote:
Why not just ping 8.8.8.8? That IP isn't going away any time soon.
Ping is a whole different thing than HTTP. While HTTP is based on TCP, the "ping" command is implemented via ICMP. Note that ICMP is neither based on TCP nor UDP, but is a "layer 3" protocol of its own.

Generally, a working "ping" does not guarantee that a HTTP/TCP connection will work too. At the same time, if a sever doesn't respond to "ping", it could still respond to HTTP/TCP. Many web-servers block ICMP for security reasons.

So, it is much more meaningful to test an actual HTTP/TCP connection than only "ping'ing" the server.

Furthermore, trying to connect to an IP address instead of a host name wouldn't test DNS resolution at all! So, we have to connect to an actual host name, in order to see whether DNS resolution is working properly.

Last but not least, testing just a single host name (server) would be unreliable, because it would introduce a single point of failure.

That's why we have a list of many "known" host names (160 at this time), and we consider the Internet connection to be "working" as soon as at least 5 out of those could be reached successfully.

Quote:
I just noticed that when extracting flac tracks from a flac file, the directory that is created always has a " (2)" added to the name, even though it is the only directory there.

Oh wait, I see why it did it. If the flac file is named: Album.flac, it tries to create a working directory called: Album.flac. Obviously that is a conflict. The directory that contains the files is called: Album. So, why not make the working directory: Album. Then there won't be a conflict.
I assume you are talking about CUE sheet import here

In fact, the default (suggested) name of the output folder is based on the file name of the .cue file that you are importing, not on the name of any of the Wave, FLAC or whatever file(s) that are referenced in the .cue file.

The suggested output folder name should contain a "…(n)" suffix, if and only if a file or directory of the name without that suffix already exists.

Is it possible that your .cue file was called something like "album.flac.cue" and therefore the suggested output folder name would be "album.flac", but a file named "album.flac" already existed?

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 14th February 2021 at 19:35.
Old 14th February 2021, 21:19   #1720  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Just go to the %TMP% directory. LameXP will create a sub-folder with a random name here on startup. The lxp_curl.exe you are looking for will be in there.
I use the cygwin terminal and it knows nothing about %TMP%. I just did a search of the program on te C: drive to find it.

An important piece of info was missing from your first response. I enbolded the text. You didn't tell me that. What I found on my system was created in June of 2020. It works.
Quote:
Watch out for a missing DLL file, or for a missing entry point in one of the required DLLs. For me all looks good on my Windows XP machine though:
https://imgur.com/a/7SyOy5j
Yours looks a little different than mine.
Quote:
In your earlier post you said that cURL failed to run with error code -1073741515, aka 0xC0000135, aka STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/ope...c-49e60bebca55

So that would have indicated that the cURL process could not be created because of a missing DLL.

If, however, you can start cURL from the command-line without problem, and if you are 100% sure that you were testing the same "lxp_curl.exe" file, then a missing DLL apparently is not the problem.
Based on the new information about lxp_curl.exe, I first started lamexp and then looked for the program. I then found the "new" version and it indeed fails. The walker indicates that normaliz.dll is missing, which indeed it is. Was this DLL ever shipped with WinXP, or ever added with a patch? I'm at SP3. I found a site to get it, but I need to know the info about the one that you are running (they have several versions). The info line from the walker program will do.
Quote:
Ping is a whole different thing than HTTP. While HTTP is based on TCP, the "ping" command is implemented via ICMP. Note that ICMP is neither based on TCP nor UDP, but is a "layer 3" protocol of its own.
'Tis very true.
Quote:
Generally, a working "ping" does not guarantee that a HTTP/TCP connection will work too. At the same time, if a sever doesn't respond to "ping", it could still respond to HTTP/TCP. Many web-servers block ICMP for security reasons.
True, but google doesn't. I use it to see if my internet connection is alive or dead. If it doesn't work, nothing will.
Quote:
Furthermore, trying to connect to an IP address instead of a host name wouldn't test DNS resolution at all! So, we have to connect to an actual host name, in order to see whether DNS resolution is working properly.
While that is true, the user would have discovered a DNS issue via other means, i.e., just by trying to go to any website via their browser. Odds are that a user would have found an issue with their LAN, or internet connection, long before running lamexp.
Quote:
Last but not least, testing just a single host name (server) would be unreliable, because it would introduce a single point of failure.

That's why we have a list of many "known" host names (160 at this time), and we consider the Internet connection to be "working" as soon as at least 5 out of those could be reached successfully.
IMHO, doing this test is overkill, because of the very reason I mentioned above. Just go to your site to look for the update and if it doesn't work, report back to the user. At that point the user can troubleshoot their LAN/internet.
[quote]In fact, the default (suggested) name of the output folder is based on the file name of the .cue file that you are importing, not on the name of any of the Wave, FLAC or whatever file(s) that are referenced in the .cue file.

Quote:
Is it possible that your .cue file was called something like "album.flac.cue" and therefore the suggested output folder name would be "album.flac", but a file named "album.flac" already existed?
In this case, that is indeed true. That is because there was an album.flac.cue and album.wave.cue file. Why there is a wave cue file is beyond me, size there are no wave files.

Suggestion... if this situation arises, how about adding a pop-up asking the user to enter a new directory name? That is because I end up having to go back and manually rename the directories. Easier to do it up front.

Tags
aac, aotuv, flac, lame, lamexp, mp3, mp4, ogg, oggenc, opus, vorbis