Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 18th June 2011, 19:53   #1  |  Link
Flatliner

VirtualDubMod in Windows 7 doesn't work

Hi!

I'm not actually a noob, I've been using Gordian Knot for years and years with great results. But not after I've upgraded to Windows 7 I've discovered a glitch.

I installed Gordian Knot and started an encode project but to my surprise VirtualDubMod would simply not begin its work, and it didn't give me any clue why so. I tried several different things but nothing worked so I abandoned it and uninstall the whole shebang.

Just three days ago I decided to give it another try; a fresh install of Gordian Knot (the app pack and encoder pack). And it worked! ...for a while. VirtualDubMod gave me the same error (or actually non-existing) and now I can't use it.

I'm not sure if this happened after the first reboot after I installed Gordian Knot, I simply can't be sure.

Is this a known error and if so is there a way to fix it?

I'm using VirtualDubMod 1.5.10 which was in the Gordian Knot app pack (which I know has been abandoned and not upgraded for years... right?).
Flatliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 03:45   #2  |  Link
Flatliner

UPDATE: I didn't get roaring answers to my questions but that didn't deter me.

I had originally encoded full 6 episodes in one go at a bitrate to make it fit perfectly on one single layer DVD. Then it was just a matter of splitting down the file.

To my surprise each episode turned out to be of a different size than the other. Being the perfectionist I am I decided to create multiple jobs; one for each episode. I'd created all the jobs, queued them but then VirtualDubMod dodged out on me.

Just a minute ago I decided to encoded just the first episode to the desired file size. Lo and behold it works like a charm. It is quite annoying, though, that I can't get them all ready, queue them and leave the computer to do its stuff while I sleep.

Perhaps someone has has something to say to this? Yes? No?
Old 19th June 2011, 12:39   #3  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post
To my surprise each episode turned out to be of a different size than the other. Being the perfectionist I am ...
why surprise? Each episode may be of a different complexity, but the encoder may return something that looks like constant quality over the entire series (so this is the correct approach), so that is to be expected and accepted as feature/value.

No clue about gordian knot.
smok3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 15:17   #4  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

I used Gordian Knot for many years and stuck with it stubbornly long after it and the apps it uses had stopped being updated. I only use it now to transcode the audio and to create an .avs file which I encode separately with VirtualDubMod.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 19:57   #5  |  Link
Flatliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3 View Post
why surprise? Each episode may be of a different complexity, but the encoder may return something that looks like constant quality over the entire series (so this is the correct approach), so that is to be expected and accepted as feature/value.

No clue about gordian knot.
I realized that after thinking about it, but immediately after the project was finished I was surprised. That is, however, not the issue here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR03 View Post
I used Gordian Knot for many years and stuck with it stubbornly long after it and the apps it uses had stopped being updated. I only use it now to transcode the audio and to create an .avs file which I encode separately with VirtualDubMod.
The thing is I don't know any other method. This whole .avs and demuxing etc. and so forth is a jungle to me. How do you encode it seperately in VirtualDubMod? Don't I have to create the .d2v with DGIndex first?
Old 19th June 2011, 21:37   #6  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

1) Index VOBs / other MPEG-2 sources using DGIndex to get the D2V file.

2) Drop the D2V file in an AvsP window. This will write your script for you (really just a simple MPEG2Source(...foo.d2v))

3) Add filters as necessary, then drop into VirtualDub if you must encode AVIs through VFW... or encode with x264 via CLI or some GUI.... or anything else that supports avisynth

..... or you could just do it all with MeGUI or a more modern GUI.

Derek
Old 19th June 2011, 22:55   #7  |  Link
Flatliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
1) Index VOBs / other MPEG-2 sources using DGIndex to get the D2V file.

2) Drop the D2V file in an AvsP window. This will write your script for you (really just a simple MPEG2Source(...foo.d2v))

3) Add filters as necessary, then drop into VirtualDub if you must encode AVIs through VFW... or encode with x264 via CLI or some GUI.... or anything else that supports avisynth

..... or you could just do it all with MeGUI or a more modern GUI.

Derek
Oh, cool! Thanks a lot man!
Old 20th June 2011, 07:59   #8  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner
The thing is I don't know any other method. This whole .avs and demuxing etc. and so forth is a jungle to me. How do you encode it seperately in VirtualDubMod? Don't I have to create the .d2v with DGIndex first?
The only difference would be that instead of selecting "Save and encode," you'd just select "Save" then open the .avs with VirtualDub, add the audio, select the video codec and start the encode (or add to batch file).
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 21:59   #9  |  Link
Flatliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR03 View Post
The only difference would be that instead of selecting "Save and encode," you'd just select "Save" then open the .avs with VirtualDub, add the audio, select the video codec and start the encode (or add to batch file).
Thanks a bunch, man! I guess I am a noob, after all.

Tags
1.5.10, gordian, knot, virtualdubmod, windows 7