Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 13th June 2015, 13:57   #1  |  Link
rotaxengine

Editing .IFo files after decrypting

Hi, I am new to this forum so please forgive me if I get things wrong. I have spent hours looking at this site but did not find what I am after but I am sure the answer is here somewhere!
I use DVD Decrypter on a regular basis. I normally in “ IFO” mode and take out the main movie. I delete the .IFO and .BUP files and view the movie .VOB file over DLNA.

I view via Serviio or direct from my NAS drive onto my TV. I have few DVD’s that when I play the .VOB file the language is not English (which I want).

I would like to know how to change the .VOB file to play in English.

I have tried keeping the .IFO and .BUP files with the .VOB file and using InfoEdit to look into the .IFO file.

I can see that the default setting is German

Audio 1: Deutsch (Dolby AC-3) 2ch 48Kbps
Audio 2: English (Dolby AC-3) 6ch 48Kbps
Audio 3: Espanol (Dolby AC-3) 2ch 48Kbps

I have tried to play with and change the setting. I have changed Audio 1: from 2ch to 6ch but it does not seem to change the default language when I play the .vob file back.

Any suggestions or help would be more than welcome.
Thanking you all.
rotaxengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 15:18   #2  |  Link
Video Dude

When you play a VOB, the first audio stream is played by default.

If you want to use VOB, use the program DVDShrink in movie only mode. Select the proper angle (if needed), strip the audio streams and subtitles you don't want, and make sure English is the first stream. There is an option in the menu to create one big VOB that is not split, so you end up with only one VOB insead of 5 of 6. This will be easier to manage on a media player. If you create it this way, the VOB should play with the correct streams. Set DVDShrink to no compression to retain full quality. (Since DVDShrink is old, don't use it decrypt.)

A more modern way to do this is use a program like MakeMKV and use MKV instead of VOB. You will retain full quality as MakeMKV does not compress.

Last edited by Video Dude; 13th June 2015 at 16:28.
Video Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 18:43   #3  |  Link
rotaxengine

update on DVDshrink !!

Hi Video Dude, Thanks for your fast reply and information.

I have downloaded DVDShrink - done as you said – Thank you – also found the DVD Shrink 3.2 guide on in the Guides section.

However I have another situation now

1. There is no sound when I play the movie on the TV (the TV is only months old and is a Panasonic DLNA TV)

2. Also no sound when I play via an older Panasonic DLNA PVR connected to another TV (Okay that fine).

3. But it does play with sound via an older Panasonic DLNA media hob connected to a TV.

4. All 3 play with sound in German!!!

I have not tried MakeMKV as only the new TV (item on above will play) MKV files. The other 2 units will play MKV via the SDHC card

Any suggestions
Thansk
rotaxengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 23:03   #4  |  Link
Video Dude

It might be a bit of work for DVDs that do not have English as the first track, but it should be the most compatible to get a VOB set for your setup:

Demux the DVD (using the free tool PgcDemux for example). You will end up with a video stream, audio, and subtitles. Mux the streams back together using the free tool MuxMan. Make sure to put the English audio as the first track. Take note of any audio delay PgcDemux displays and enter it into MuxMan if needed.
Video Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2015, 07:59   #5  |  Link
Ghitulescu

If you searched (I don't believe this) you would have found that there were threads where people did the same thing, removed the files holding the information about the video files - gosh, is this "space saving craze" going so far? - then complaining that the player (on PC or on mediaplayers) has problems.

Back to your problem
Decrypt the movie with DVDdecrypter, as you did before.
Then load the decrypted folder in dvdshrink and
either
1. "reauthor a new DVD" by keeping only the needed titles (movies) with selected audios and subtitles
or
2. simply deselect the not needed streams.

Surely, there is another method, but that requires a lot of knowledge, anyway if you wanna try, use SetSTN.

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/2...e-only-backups